You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher beta

I have just downloaded Publisher beta and must say even at this release it is an excellent and much faster alternative to Adobe inDesign. The only thing that seems missing at the moment (unless I have not found it) is a preview mode like the one in inDesign. Is this likely to be added?

2 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

You can hide all non-printing elements from the page, such as guides, margins, text frame contours, … by using the respective options in the View menu. But I agree, it would be awesome to have a quick way to achieve that with one keystroke. :)

Thanks for that. I am sure this will suffice until a preview option is added.

This looks like the start of a really GREAT product!

However, I did not find any tutorial on printing the brochure (exporting to PDF). I do a monthly bulletin in Publisher (A3 landscape split into 2 facing pages) and have to provide 2 PDF's: One to show the flow of the document and once approved, another for print). As you know, the page layout for review and print are different. I would love to switch to the Affinity product for this and so, can you do a tutorial for this please!

Thanks!

Hi, I think I worked out how to setup the print version by using "Booklet." However, as I was building out a test bulletin, I tried to save the project and it gave an error, stating that ownership could not be verified and the file will close, which it did and I lost some of my work. I re-opened the file and it asked if I wanted to open the recovery file, which I did. It reverted back to the last saved version.

• Staff

@john77477

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forum.

I have split your saving issue into it's own bug report in the Bugs on Windows forum, hope that's ok

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 hours ago, A_B_C said:

You can hide all non-printing elements from the page, such as guides, margins, text frame contours, … by using the respective options in the View menu. But I agree, it would be awesome to have a quick way to achieve that with one keystroke. :)

The menu option View-Hide All Guides does have a key assignment. On my Mac, it is Control-W. It looks like it does about like the preview mode in Indesign. I will probably be using it often.

Suggestion: Some people might like to have a toolbar button as an alternative to the keyboard shortcut.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the tutorials when I was about to go to sleep... hind sight, not the best idea :D

There are 3 editing points that could be looked at;

1. Tabs in paragraphs need to be changeable in alignment (if I missed it, I am open for correction)
  2. When deleting rows or columns from the table; it would be better if you could delete more than 1 row/column at a time
  3. For the Master apply options, please add an option to start your application from a certain page to go along with the odd/even pages option

I believe these are just some ideas that would contribute to better work continuity.

Forgot to mention yesterday, I love the way that the paragraph text adjust the line spacing when you increase, or decrease the text size. That is a major + for Affinity Publisher :D. I was over the moon when I realised it.

Edited by Luyanne
spelling mistake - blind