Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I don't see how Publisher can't have this feature, eventually,  if it is to become a full-on page layout tool.

I noticed at the weekend that it isn't possible to set the rulers by page when working on a double-page spread (which I've raised in a separate thread). This makes me suspect that even a double-page spread in Pub is actually a single page with some clever coding added?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ditto.

Having spreads with more than 2 pages and with potentially different page widths within the spread is an essential feature for me. I really like what I see in AP so far but this feature should be included as it would be used by anyone who designs books and/or other documents like multipage page folded flyers, etc. where the inner pages are less wide than the cover page for example. Also, some of my clients like page by page pdf's (as opposed to a full spread) for correction reading which would not be possible if there is only one "page" in the spread.

Maybe this could be achieved by pressing a modifier key and pulling a page to the outer edge of an existing page to "attach" it to that page (similar as in ID). Dragging pages around to other positions is already supported in the current version of APub.

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2019 at 9:36 AM, spinko said:

Having spreads with more than 2 pages and with potentially different page widths within the spread

Just so it is clear these are two completely different features.

For example, QuarkXPress with its multi-hundred-dollar price tag was the reigning king in the DTP world for a long time, but even the more recent versions cannot have multiple page sizes within the same spread.

 

Most of the use cases that have been presented so far can be covered with one large spread and the use of manually created guides (or possibly a table).  While I agree that this would be a very nice feature to have, other things such as the ability to merge two files, "global" layers, vertical and right-to-left text formats, etc., provide capabilities which would be much harder to work around the lack of at this time, so unless someone can present a specific compelling use case that demonstrates what is truly painful to try to do without the feature, I can easily understand why Serif would put off spending the time to try to develop this.  There are other missing features of the program that will make a bigger impact on what can be accomplished for a larger number of people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming from ID CC this feature seems obvious to have in a modern publishing tool. It is the natural way to build spreads for books or brochures for instance. During the development of a brochure, I like to have the cover pages in the same file so colours etc. are consistent. In IDCC i define the spine as a very narrow page and IDCC generates all the crop marks automatically. Big time saver IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, spinko said:

Coming from ID CC this feature seems obvious to have in a modern publishing tool. It is the natural way to build spreads for books or brochures for instance. During the development of a brochure, I like to have the cover pages in the same file so colours etc. are consistent. In IDCC i define the spine as a very narrow page and IDCC generates all the crop marks automatically. Big time saver IMHO.

You do know that with a professional print sevice, all printer marks and color bars (i.e. everything outside the page) is stripped out by the imposition software, don't you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The crop / fold marks give me and my customer a visual feedback of how the document will be cut / folded. Also, if I want to make a paper mock-up, which admittedly is becoming quite rare, it is nice to have crop / fold marks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 9:47 PM, MikeW said:

You do know that with a professional print sevice, all printer marks and color bars (i.e. everything outside the page) is stripped out by the imposition software, don't you?

You do know that there do people exist who print things themselves, don't you? 


___♥___
| | |    | | |

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BennyD said:

You do know that there do people exist who print things themselves, don't you? 

Sure. I do as well. Whether for myself or, more often, as mock-ups for clients. So what? Any marks get trimmed off whether I am printing for my own enjoyment or mock-ups before I run the actual folding when there is bleed involved. Often enough there is no bleed and hence I won't bother to print to over-sized paper just the have marks.

For book covers, I often enough just build them as single sheets and use guides. Just depends on whether I am actually using ID or not. And even so (if using ID), using 3 or more pages side by side depends on whether the client wants an early cover mock-up before the spine, etc., is known. Usually I don't do a cover until the details are known.

In the case of folded publications, I still lay those out as single pages in whatever I am using. And while I'll use guides where the inner folds will be for layout purposes, I don't need "fold marks" to be in the print pdf in order to fold it properly.

I'm not against the idea/request of multiple pages of equal or differing widths being able to be stacked horizontally (or for stacking generally same-sized pages vertically for that matter...in the case of say calendars). It is just they are not a necessity for mock-ups or for printing things for myself and are completely unnecessary for using a print provider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 12:41 AM, Lukas_Klenk said:

Is this topic solved in the newer beta versions?

Couldn´t find a way to make an alternative layout beside the two facing pages.

As an architect it would be very usefull to layout more than two pages of a competition in one row.

So if this feature isn´t in the work now, I would also reguest it, for all architects out there.

There already are a lot of requests for this functionality and I am adding my voice requesting this as well. As an architect as well this need is there for the reason stated above, but also creating documents/publications with fold outs.  I won't be able to convince my coworkers to switch over to publisher if functionalities we use regularly in InDesign aren't there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, MikeW said:

Sure. I do as well. Whether for myself or, more often, as mock-ups for clients. So what? Any marks get trimmed off whether I am printing for my own enjoyment or mock-ups before I run the actual folding when there is bleed involved. Often enough there is no bleed and hence I won't bother to print to over-sized paper just the have marks.

For book covers, I often enough just build them as single sheets and use guides. Just depends on whether I am actually using ID or not. And even so (if using ID), using 3 or more pages side by side depends on whether the client wants an early cover mock-up before the spine, etc., is known. Usually I don't do a cover until the details are known.

In the case of folded publications, I still lay those out as single pages in whatever I am using. And while I'll use guides where the inner folds will be for layout purposes, I don't need "fold marks" to be in the print pdf in order to fold it properly.

I'm not against the idea/request of multiple pages of equal or differing widths being able to be stacked horizontally (or for stacking generally same-sized pages vertically for that matter...in the case of say calendars). It is just they are not a necessity for mock-ups or for printing things for myself and are completely unnecessary for using a print provider.

Well, exactly, if you don't know how wide the final spine will be, you can create a "spine" page in ID with a temporary width, say 5mm (or something close to the final width). When the spine width is known, all you have to do is re-configure the "spine" page and not worry about shifting objects, text blocs and crop-marks to either side. I guess it is a personal preference. And as stated above, for proofreading, it is much easier to read each individual page, than the whole spread, especially if it is a large document. Just my 2cts :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am just about to start doing my first job in Publisher - a 3 page spread folder.

I am really surprised and disappointed that you (Serif) haven't incorporated this feature yet. I guess you must be a little out of touch with what features we designers need?

I really hope you get around to including this feature very soon!

For now I'm heading back to InDesign. Sadly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, prasado said:

I am just about to start doing my first job in Publisher - a 3 page spread folder.

Hello @prasado,

welcome to the forum. I'm sorry the see that your start with APub is starting with a disapointing experience.

If you take a little moment to think a little different you will find out that it is possible to create a 3 page folder in APub, just not with three pages. Use one page instead and set up your folds with guides.

I am not saying this is the perfect replacement. It's just a workaround. More than a two page spread is not possible at the moment and this will change in the future (at some time). I'm just trying to help you to explore APub a little better :)

Cheers,
d.


Affinity Designer 1.8.2.620 (beta 1.8.4.665)   |   Affinity Photo 1.8.2.620 (beta 1.8.4.665)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.8.2.620 (beta 1.8.4.663)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.8.2   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.2

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Multi page spreads are very important, because corporate folders are mostly published both in a printed and in a PDF version.

For expample I create a 10 page folder for print with two 5 page spreads.

Then I change the document to a single page document with different page flow for publishing on the website. This version is often printed on office printers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Thomas Factory said:

5 page spreads

I'm trying to picture this - how would you fold a 5-page spread?

 

That being said, the need to provide printed and electronic copies of such a document is probably the most significant reason to prioritize this feature that has been presented so far.  That is one thing that would be complicated by the use of guides to lay this out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spinko said:

As of version 1.7.x, is there any news on this feature ?

There is no news, even as of beta version 1.8.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.674 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.674 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.663 Beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1

This is the one feature which is stopping me from using APub to completely ditch InDesign. I'm so frustrated that I'm even considering purchasing QuarkXpress (but will probably hang on in there with InDesign until this feature appears). Yes, I *could* create a wide page with guides, but it's not a workable solution in the real world. Given the amount of requests for it, I'm surprised at the reluctance of the dev team to add this to the wish list, they've been really good at listening to feedback in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3Dshark said:

+1

This is the one feature which is stopping me from using APub to completely ditch InDesign. I'm so frustrated that I'm even considering purchasing QuarkXpress (but will probably hang on in there with InDesign until this feature appears). Yes, I *could* create a wide page with guides, but it's not a workable solution in the real world. Given the amount of requests for it, I'm surprised at the reluctance of the dev team to add this to the wish list, they've been really good at listening to feedback in the past.

While QXP can have X number of spreads/pages side by side, one cannot at this time have pages of differing widths in a single layout. That feature is on the horizon, but it is not here yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+ 100 for this!  tried to manually increase the size of the right-hand page in a facing spread, but it increases the size of BOTH pages. I can't make a page with a fold-in tab without a frustrating workaround. I love Publisher and canceled Adobe (I've purchased everything Serif makes) in trust that some of these issues will be getting addressed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 3Dshark said:

Yes, I *could* create a wide page with guides, but it's not a workable solution in the real world

Sorry, but why is this not a workable solution. It used to be a workable solution before we had that facility in inDesign.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2020 at 9:27 AM, Seneca said:

Sorry, but why is this not a workable solution.

Because 3Dshark is in the real world in the 21st century. ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.