You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am just starting to use Affinity software. I haven't been doing much that needed my adobe skills/software for a long while. What I've found thus far is that there are things I love about Affinity that are "better" than adobe and things that I miss in the Adobe tools. I appreciate Affinity's conundrum as well. Their software must be similar enough that people will want to switch and yet they have a chance to address some of the sloppy, stupid stuff in the Adobe line...

Ok, so having said that, it is hard to believe this thread goes back to 2018 and custom spreads hasn't been implemented. Seems like a minor/medium addition considering all the basic functionality is already there. It is true there are work arounds, but they are a pain.

19 hours ago, RasterFarian said:

Ok, so having said that, it is hard to believe this thread goes back to 2018 and custom spreads hasn't been implemented. Seems like a minor/medium addition considering all the basic functionality is already there. It is true there are work arounds, but they are a pain.

We can have different sized spreads in the document but not actual 3, 4 or more page spreads.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 months later...

Really could use multi-page spreads but the universal licence still makes v2 a compulsory purchase for anyone with a vague interest in design, illustration and photography - although I do hope we get this capability eventually, preferably with the addition of a slug area so you can bung on your own fold marks and wot not when working on say a trifold, book jacket or capacity folder - still super happy😆

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

38 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

the universal licence still makes v2 a compulsory purchase

This!

At the moment I have no use for v2 on Mac because it requires at least Catalina while I still need to use other apps and external devices that won't run under that.

But since the universal license with discount is in fact less than the three Mac apps with discount, I bought the whole bunch right away anyway, and installed all three apps on our family iPad (the "no attribute" gen. 8). Heck, I even went to my local Apple dealer around the corner and bought an Apple Pencil 1 as well… :D 

So, I have the gut feeling that I might be using the iPad for design work more and more in the future. Finally, in fact, being an iPad user since 2011.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

3 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Really could use multi-page spreads but the universal licence still makes v2 a compulsory purchase for anyone with a vague interest in design, illustration and photography - although I do hope we get this capability eventually, preferably with the addition of a slug area so you can bung on your own fold marks and wot not when working on say a trifold, book jacket or capacity folder - still super happy😆

Agree completely. 

For some there will always be missing features. This multi page spreads is a biggy and for those who cannot do without it you may have to have Adobe. If you are in that camp  I suggest have both Adobe and Affinity. 

Design in Affinity, layout in Adobe. 

I just saw an incredible demo of Illustrator blend tool being used to create 3D looking furry tube typography. Wow. Designer has no blend tool for shapes. Fortunately I don't currently need 3D looking furry tube typography, so… still super happy. 

22 minutes ago, nicolasfolliot said:

Well I was with you all on this… until I realized I could do what I need with Designer artboards. So now I'm curious, are people here still asking for that feature (which, I recognize, should definitely exist in Publisher) haven't tried artboards yet, or does it not work for your needs?

Interesting, I hadn't tried your method before and it was looking good until I exported.

When I exported a PDF made of 6 artboards with bleed and crop marks I ended up with 6 single pages rather than 2 pages with a combined bleed and crop marks. Is there a step I'm missing, or do you then move everything onto a single artboard as part of your pre-press flow?

My Publisher solution was to create a master template with guides and create groups for the pages which need to shuffle.

Having a gutter would also be super helpful for fold marks and notes to the printer etc.

I have played with artboards for book covers. I got it to work well enough by using only artistic text and not frame/paragraph text. Exporting the piece to a pdf proved challenging and frankly fiddly but I got the project done. 

on a different project, I produce a 7-fold brochure each year. I work with the print house to get the page/panel dimensions based on the paper weight. This would be insane in designer with text flows from panel to panel. 

1 hour ago, nicolasfolliot said:

So now I'm curious, are people here still asking for that feature (which, I recognize, should definitely exist in Publisher) haven't tried artboards yet, or does it not work for your needs?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

4 hours ago, 3Dshark said:

Interesting, I hadn't tried your method before and it was looking good until I exported.

When I exported a PDF made of 6 artboards with bleed and crop marks I ended up with 6 single pages rather than 2 pages with a combined bleed and crop marks. Is there a step I'm missing, or do you then move everything onto a single artboard as part of your pre-press flow?

My Publisher solution was to create a master template with guides and create groups for the pages which need to shuffle.

Having a gutter would also be super helpful for fold marks and notes to the printer etc.

So yes, as soon as bleed is involved, it gets exported as separated pages, even if you try to export the full document. So the trick is to create a "mother artboard" containing your full spread, and export only this one. It's still a workaround, but pretty easy to setup and working (at least for me).

48 minutes ago, nicolasfolliot said:

So yes, as soon as bleed is involved, it gets exported as separated pages, even if you try to export the full document. So the trick is to create a "mother artboard" containing your full spread, and export only this one. It's still a workaround, but pretty easy to setup and working (at least for me).

The trick is in the Export Persona. You create a sector containing all the pages that form the spread (only the pages, don't need the bleed) and export that sector to pdf. That's all. You'll have the complete spread with bleed and cropmarks if you select them.

Edited by Jose Alvarez
Ortography

9 hours ago, Clayton King said:

Exporting the piece to a pdf proved challenging and frankly fiddly but I got the project done. 

You can nest artboards or stack them as you see fit. Keep in mind that technically, Affinity artboards are layer objects. You must not think of artboards in terms of "pages". See also my aforelinked example from last year: 

So when I want to export the full 3-page "spread" in my example, I select only the "___S1" and "___S2" artboards to export:

apu_ade_multipage_spreads2.png.7089278594c92ed06e9f592c6dc84161.png

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

No workarround can replace the flexibility of ID's facing pages spreads.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

1 hour ago, NNN said:

No workarround can replace the flexibility ID's facing pages spreads.

I haven't tested it yet, but the new Books feature could theoretically help somewhat, by combining artboard and pages documents. I have no idea yet if it's possible or what the results would look like, and likely won't have the time today to try, so feel free to experiment.

If you can't live without specific Adobe features then hang onto your Adobe subscription. If its critical to your workflow then maybe Affinity is not the best fit for your design role.

We are throwing ideas into the mix here to get the best out of an amazing tool. Books feature combining art boards and pages sounds very powerful.