You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

50 minutes ago, Jose Alvarez said:

Hmmmm five years yet from launch??? Time to have yet some features, I think...

2015 was the target. The actual launch (availability of the program for purchase) was only a year ago, in June, 2019. I think that Publisher was delayed by the decision to get Photo and Designer working on iPad, so it's still very young :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

19 hours ago, dominik said:

Hi @Jose Alvarez,

how can anyone know if it's on the list if only a few people (inside Serif) know??

Generally we can assume that Serif is aware of most of the features of a fully equiped publishing program. It's a matter of priorities in development (and perhaps marketing) how these features are developed and included.

I want to point you to an older thread that clearly states (by a Serif representative) that more than two page spreads may take some longer time to be included:

I personally do not consider this as a drawback because I create book covers or folders on single spreads set up with guides. I admit adjusting the width of the spine of a book cover, if need be, takes a little more time and effort.

A couple of Mods on this thread, presumably Affinity staff (?), in this thread have said there are no immediate plans for this feature.

But now that I look at their comments more closely, I see they said this quite a while ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just chiming in to add my own two cents- this is much requested and much needed. I am like the users above... I need this feature for print, but also for visualization's sake for my clients. If you cannot add this feature to be set up for spreads, maybe a workaround would be a view mode that allows you to tile images together, and see all your pages in a grid?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 2:41 PM, Dave Harris said:

This isn't something we plan to change. We support one- or two-page spreads directly, and beyond that you can create a spread of any size, and demark nominal pages with guides.

As this is a much requested "feature" (taken for grated standard) is there any future plans to change the above Serif view? 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• 1 month later...

I need this feature as well. I use it often for book covers. The spine is a single page sandwiched between two of the regular pages. That way I can control the spine size easily as pages come or go during the design process. Another use: Folded covers. This just gives you precise controls, not fiddling with guides which are unreliable and error-prone.

I just had an idea on how to implement a 'new kind of page spreads' if and when Serif decides to do it at some point:

It would be fantastic if a Designer file with numbered artboards could be used as 'template' for page spreads — this way the number of pages would be more or less unlimited and even the page order and arrangement could be set freely — think an eight page brochure that exports in the correct page order (1,2,3...) when exported as single pages, but properly layed out (8,1-2,7) when exporting spreads. Think rearranging page spreads by simply 'linking' to a different Designer template. Think differently sized pages automatically arranged to create a complicatedly folded leaflet or a magazine covers with folded in pages. Think of it as 'master pages for master pages'.

You would set up a Designer document with the apropriate amount of artboards, mark them as 'spreadboards'' (or something similar that sounds less naff), give each a number and select this Designer file as 'Spread template' in Publisher — when you add new pages the page layout would refer to the Designer file and add pages according to which numbered 'spreadboard' comes next, rotating through all artboards, starting by number one again, when you add more pages.

Only downside is that you wouldn't be able to change the page sizes manually in Publisher — you'd need to refer back to the Designer file for editing.

Lastly, depending on if it's wise to allow for objects on the templates, you could even create specific printers marks or other page background assets in the Designer file to be exported using the 'bleed' feature — this might have the potential to create headaches with the master pages (finding out if an object is on the master page or in the template file), but that is for Serif to figure out and for you to use responsibly (someone using these advanced featues can be considered experienced enough to decide wisely on where to put their objects).

Seems the simple work around is make your page size the size of the print page flat. I never work with multiple pages for a tri-fold or anything like that. I start with 11 x 8.5. I have a template saved with guides for the folds. Same goes for perfect bound book covers. I setup with the size of the spine needed, draw my guides and design from there. Seems like more of a hassle to setup a multipage document for something like this, especially with tri folds as really your panels should not all be the same size. 2 would be and third should be slightly smaller for folding. 

Maybe there are other reasons this is needed but I have never found I needed this option. I use single page or use spreads for saddle stitch jobs. 

2 hours ago, wonderings said:

Seems the simple work around is make your page size the size of the print page flat. I never work with multiple pages for a tri-fold or anything like that. I start with 11 x 8.5. I have a template saved with guides for the folds. Same goes for perfect bound book covers. I setup with the size of the spine needed, draw my guides and design from there. Seems like more of a hassle to setup a multipage document for something like this, especially with tri folds as really your panels should not all be the same size. 2 would be and third should be slightly smaller for folding. 

Maybe there are other reasons this is needed but I have never found I needed this option. I use single page or use spreads for saddle stitch jobs. 

I work in a digital print shop, almost ALL our work is about printing books. We work with a lot of small-medium publishing companies. I can swear that almost a third of their covers (designed using Illustrator and Indesign, using one page and guides) have WRONG MEASURES and I must fix it using Enfocus Pitstop pdf edition capabilities = a lot of time lost every week. I'm sure you do it perfectly, but from my experience, that way is very prone to error. And if it's a folded cover, "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe..." 😱 😅

7 minutes ago, Jose Alvarez said:

I work in a digital print shop, almost ALL our work is about printing books. We work with a lot of small-medium publishing companies. I can swear that almost a third of their covers (designed using Illustrator and Indesign, using one page and guides) have WRONG MEASURES and I must fix it using Enfocus Pitstop pdf edition capabilities = a lot of time lost every week. I'm sure you do it perfectly, but from my experience, that way is very prone to error. And if it's a folded cover, "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe..." 😱 😅

Not against it, just not something I have ever needed working in print as I do it perfectly... not to brag, but I make sure I have the details before setting up. I have definitely fixed spines as designers just seem to not pay attention details. I mean why would those be important to a designer? *insert sarcasm*   Oh I am sure I could believe the things you have seen, I am sure I have seen similar things!

4 hours ago, wonderings said:

I never work with multiple pages for a tri-fold or anything like that.

I always use in InDesign 3-pages spread for book covers and 3+3-pages spread for a 3-fold borchure or even 5-pages book cover with flaps. It is very fast and easy.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 2 weeks later...

New user of Affinity Serif here!

2º year student on an Illustration course on an Art School. It's the second month of the course, and the teacher (who is teaching us using Adobe InDesign, so then each alumn gets to work on the software they choose) already asked us to do some work with this feature (multi-page spread).

I think it's reasonably to think that this is a must-have feature.

Greetings from Spain!

On 10/30/2020 at 10:42 AM, JBarceloArt said:

the teacher (who is teaching us using Adobe InDesign, so then each alumn gets to work on the software they choose) already asked us to do some work with this feature (multi-page spread)

If the school is allowing the students to choose their own software then this is an unreasonable thing for them to be asking of you, particularly if they are asking for mixed page sizes or a combination of differing spread sizes (some spreads with 2 pages and some with 3 pages within the same layout, for example).

QuarkXPress for example is the most significant "big player" competitor for InDesign right now, and while it can have more than two pages in a spread, including arbitrary configurations of 1-page, 2-page, 3-page, etc. spreads, all of the pages must be the same size (you can't mix page sizes within a layout in QuarkXPress).

Scribus offers single pages, facing pages, 3-fold and 4-fold spread configurations and does allow for differing page sizes within a spread, but you can't have for example a mixture of 2-page spreads and a 3-page spread in the same document, or stick single-page spreads between multi-page spreads or similar (except for the starting/ending pages being incomplete spreads - starting with a right-hand page for example).

Affinity Publisher allows individual spreads to have differing page sizes, but the pages in the spread must both be the same size, and you either have single-page spreads or double-page spreads, with the exception of the first and last page if you start the double-page spreads on the right.  You can't arbitrarily stick a single-page spread between two multi-page spreads as you can with Illustrator and QuarkXPress.

On 8/13/2020 at 9:57 AM, Jose Alvarez said:

But, curiously, Serif PagePlus X9, the Affinity previous DTP, have multipages spreads, a kind of data merge and is scriptable...

PPX9 has multipage spreads and a usable data merge feature, but I’m not aware of any scripting capability apart from Acrobat JavaScript for PDF forms.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

(you can't mix page sizes within a layout in QuarkXPress)

Now you can in v. 2020.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

28 minutes ago, Jose Alvarez said:

I refer to this window. It's only useful for pdf forms? Sorry, I believed that was for more general uses.

Perhaps I misspoke by saying it’s only for forms, but since it’s Acrobat JavaScript it will only work in PDF documents, as far as I’m aware.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 10/15/2020 at 5:02 PM, Petar Petrenko said:

I always use in InDesign 3-pages spread for book covers and 3+3-pages spread for a 3-fold borchure or even 5-pages book cover with flaps. It is very fast and easy.

me too

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

12 hours ago, Oval said:

… this is (reserved) for different serious problems ;-)

?!!?!?!?!??!??!?

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk