You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I don't see how Publisher can't have this feature, eventually,  if it is to become a full-on page layout tool.

I noticed at the weekend that it isn't possible to set the rulers by page when working on a double-page spread (which I've raised in a separate thread). This makes me suspect that even a double-page spread in Pub is actually a single page with some clever coding added?

• 1 month later...

ditto.

Having spreads with more than 2 pages and with potentially different page widths within the spread is an essential feature for me. I really like what I see in AP so far but this feature should be included as it would be used by anyone who designs books and/or other documents like multipage page folded flyers, etc. where the inner pages are less wide than the cover page for example. Also, some of my clients like page by page pdf's (as opposed to a full spread) for correction reading which would not be possible if there is only one "page" in the spread.

Maybe this could be achieved by pressing a modifier key and pulling a page to the outer edge of an existing page to "attach" it to that page (similar as in ID). Dragging pages around to other positions is already supported in the current version of APub.

Thank you.

On 10/13/2019 at 9:36 AM, spinko said:

Having spreads with more than 2 pages and with potentially different page widths within the spread

Just so it is clear these are two completely different features.

For example, QuarkXPress with its multi-hundred-dollar price tag was the reigning king in the DTP world for a long time, but even the more recent versions cannot have multiple page sizes within the same spread.

Most of the use cases that have been presented so far can be covered with one large spread and the use of manually created guides (or possibly a table).  While I agree that this would be a very nice feature to have, other things such as the ability to merge two files, "global" layers, vertical and right-to-left text formats, etc., provide capabilities which would be much harder to work around the lack of at this time, so unless someone can present a specific compelling use case that demonstrates what is truly painful to try to do without the feature, I can easily understand why Serif would put off spending the time to try to develop this.  There are other missing features of the program that will make a bigger impact on what can be accomplished for a larger number of people.

Coming from ID CC this feature seems obvious to have in a modern publishing tool. It is the natural way to build spreads for books or brochures for instance. During the development of a brochure, I like to have the cover pages in the same file so colours etc. are consistent. In IDCC i define the spine as a very narrow page and IDCC generates all the crop marks automatically. Big time saver IMHO.

7 minutes ago, spinko said:

Coming from ID CC this feature seems obvious to have in a modern publishing tool. It is the natural way to build spreads for books or brochures for instance. During the development of a brochure, I like to have the cover pages in the same file so colours etc. are consistent. In IDCC i define the spine as a very narrow page and IDCC generates all the crop marks automatically. Big time saver IMHO.

You do know that with a professional print sevice, all printer marks and color bars (i.e. everything outside the page) is stripped out by the imposition software, don't you?

On 10/18/2019 at 9:47 PM, MikeW said:

You do know that with a professional print sevice, all printer marks and color bars (i.e. everything outside the page) is stripped out by the imposition software, don't you?

You do know that there do people exist who print things themselves, don't you? 

___♥___
| | |    | | |

20 minutes ago, BennyD said:

You do know that there do people exist who print things themselves, don't you? 

Sure. I do as well. Whether for myself or, more often, as mock-ups for clients. So what? Any marks get trimmed off whether I am printing for my own enjoyment or mock-ups before I run the actual folding when there is bleed involved. Often enough there is no bleed and hence I won't bother to print to over-sized paper just the have marks.

For book covers, I often enough just build them as single sheets and use guides. Just depends on whether I am actually using ID or not. And even so (if using ID), using 3 or more pages side by side depends on whether the client wants an early cover mock-up before the spine, etc., is known. Usually I don't do a cover until the details are known.

In the case of folded publications, I still lay those out as single pages in whatever I am using. And while I'll use guides where the inner folds will be for layout purposes, I don't need "fold marks" to be in the print pdf in order to fold it properly.

I'm not against the idea/request of multiple pages of equal or differing widths being able to be stacked horizontally (or for stacking generally same-sized pages vertically for that matter...in the case of say calendars). It is just they are not a necessity for mock-ups or for printing things for myself and are completely unnecessary for using a print provider.

On 4/29/2019 at 12:41 AM, Lukas_Klenk said:

Is this topic solved in the newer beta versions?

Couldn´t find a way to make an alternative layout beside the two facing pages.

As an architect it would be very usefull to layout more than two pages of a competition in one row.

So if this feature isn´t in the work now, I would also reguest it, for all architects out there.

There already are a lot of requests for this functionality and I am adding my voice requesting this as well. As an architect as well this need is there for the reason stated above, but also creating documents/publications with fold outs.  I won't be able to convince my coworkers to switch over to publisher if functionalities we use regularly in InDesign aren't there. 

23 hours ago, MikeW said:

Sure. I do as well. Whether for myself or, more often, as mock-ups for clients. So what? Any marks get trimmed off whether I am printing for my own enjoyment or mock-ups before I run the actual folding when there is bleed involved. Often enough there is no bleed and hence I won't bother to print to over-sized paper just the have marks.

For book covers, I often enough just build them as single sheets and use guides. Just depends on whether I am actually using ID or not. And even so (if using ID), using 3 or more pages side by side depends on whether the client wants an early cover mock-up before the spine, etc., is known. Usually I don't do a cover until the details are known.

In the case of folded publications, I still lay those out as single pages in whatever I am using. And while I'll use guides where the inner folds will be for layout purposes, I don't need "fold marks" to be in the print pdf in order to fold it properly.

I'm not against the idea/request of multiple pages of equal or differing widths being able to be stacked horizontally (or for stacking generally same-sized pages vertically for that matter...in the case of say calendars). It is just they are not a necessity for mock-ups or for printing things for myself and are completely unnecessary for using a print provider.

Well, exactly, if you don't know how wide the final spine will be, you can create a "spine" page in ID with a temporary width, say 5mm (or something close to the final width). When the spine width is known, all you have to do is re-configure the "spine" page and not worry about shifting objects, text blocs and crop-marks to either side. I guess it is a personal preference. And as stated above, for proofreading, it is much easier to read each individual page, than the whole spread, especially if it is a large document. Just my 2cts :-)

• 1 month later...

I am just about to start doing my first job in Publisher - a 3 page spread folder.

I am really surprised and disappointed that you (Serif) haven't incorporated this feature yet. I guess you must be a little out of touch with what features we designers need?

I really hope you get around to including this feature very soon!

For now I'm heading back to InDesign. Sadly!

13 hours ago, prasado said:

I am just about to start doing my first job in Publisher - a 3 page spread folder.

Hello @prasado,

welcome to the forum. I'm sorry the see that your start with APub is starting with a disapointing experience.

If you take a little moment to think a little different you will find out that it is possible to create a 3 page folder in APub, just not with three pages. Use one page instead and set up your folds with guides.

I am not saying this is the perfect replacement. It's just a workaround. More than a two page spread is not possible at the moment and this will change in the future (at some time). I'm just trying to help you to explore APub a little better :)

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Multi page spreads are very important, because corporate folders are mostly published both in a printed and in a PDF version.

For expample I create a 10 page folder for print with two 5 page spreads.

Then I change the document to a single page document with different page flow for publishing on the website. This version is often printed on office printers.

31 minutes ago, Thomas Factory said:

5 page spreads

I'm trying to picture this - how would you fold a 5-page spread?

That being said, the need to provide printed and electronic copies of such a document is probably the most significant reason to prioritize this feature that has been presented so far.  That is one thing that would be complicated by the use of guides to lay this out.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, spinko said:

As of version 1.7.x, is there any news on this feature ?

There is no news, even as of beta version 1.8.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

+1

This is the one feature which is stopping me from using APub to completely ditch InDesign. I'm so frustrated that I'm even considering purchasing QuarkXpress (but will probably hang on in there with InDesign until this feature appears). Yes, I *could* create a wide page with guides, but it's not a workable solution in the real world. Given the amount of requests for it, I'm surprised at the reluctance of the dev team to add this to the wish list, they've been really good at listening to feedback in the past.

1 hour ago, 3Dshark said:

+1

This is the one feature which is stopping me from using APub to completely ditch InDesign. I'm so frustrated that I'm even considering purchasing QuarkXpress (but will probably hang on in there with InDesign until this feature appears). Yes, I *could* create a wide page with guides, but it's not a workable solution in the real world. Given the amount of requests for it, I'm surprised at the reluctance of the dev team to add this to the wish list, they've been really good at listening to feedback in the past.

While QXP can have X number of spreads/pages side by side, one cannot at this time have pages of differing widths in a single layout. That feature is on the horizon, but it is not here yet.

+ 100 for this!  tried to manually increase the size of the right-hand page in a facing spread, but it increases the size of BOTH pages. I can't make a page with a fold-in tab without a frustrating workaround. I love Publisher and canceled Adobe (I've purchased everything Serif makes) in trust that some of these issues will be getting addressed. 

12 hours ago, 3Dshark said:

Yes, I *could* create a wide page with guides, but it's not a workable solution in the real world

Sorry, but why is this not a workable solution. It used to be a workable solution before we had that facility in inDesign.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4