You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

affinity designer shortcut problem ctrl + numpad

I created shortcuts for moving (arranging) layers up/down ctrl+numpad0 and ctrl+numpad1 because I use it for years now in different applications.

First problem: the preferences / keyboard shortcuts pane doesn't show if it conflicts with zoom shortcuts !!

Second problem: the shortcuts doesn't work at all.

• Staff

Hi keiichi77 :)

Could you confirm which exact keyboard shortcuts you've changed? Is it Arrange>Move Back One and Arrange>Move Forward One?

When changing shortcuts, if there's a conflict, this should show next to either instance of the shortcut as a yellow exclamation mark which will show a tooltip when you hover providing the name of the conflicting shortcut. I've attached an example of this below:

keyboard shortcuts.png

Please note, you'll need to remove any conflicts in shortcuts for them to work correctly. Equally the Draw Persona and the Pixel Persona have their own settings, so the shortcuts will need changing for both.

I've set my settings for the Draw Persona as you've explained and in the following gif you can see the shortcuts working as expected (Although you can't see my key presses, apologies!). Is this not the behaviour you're seeing?

ce77e7f182032f2e96eb135747930e50.gif

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thank you for your response!

Arrange>Move Back One and Arrange>Move Forward One  --> yes

Actually there was a conflict, because the viewport zoom conflicted with the new keys: ctrl+0 , ctrl+1
But strangely Designer doesn't show up the yellow alert icon next to the shortcut I changed to ctrl+0 and ctrl+1!
I saw the problem, when I started using it, but it started change the zooming level of the viewport, so I realized that isn't what I am looking for.

And it doesn't work. I changed the Pixel persona settings too, and also nothing.
And it also doesn't work with ctrl + keyboard numbers .

I changed it to ctrl + pg up/down - it works.
it works also with numpad / and *
so it's only a problem with numbers.

image.png.809ac4558cae0a9ce965c397ebdb7969.png

image.png.cb470987d3f865447b286d3b4ade4566.png

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that, sorry to hear it's not working for you.

Could you please change your keyboard shortcuts to the settings you wish to have working, but aren't currently, then use the Save function and send me a copy of the file here, so I can test your exact setup on my machine here? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for that! I've replicate the issue you're seeing, and there appears to be a bug when setting shortcuts.

If you set the shortcut using the Numpad, the correct number appears in the settings dialog, but the error is not shown (I assume because Affinity registers it as a different key, even though it has the same effect as the regular number key) and then the shortcut does not work.

If you set the keyboard shortcut using the standard number row on your keyboard, not only will the conflict error show, but the shortcut will also work with your numpad!

I'll log this issue with our devs to be fixed, in the meantime I've reattached a repaired version of your shortcuts which should solve your issue! :)

hotkeysrepaired.afshort

Please note -

Many thanks!

@Dan C Could you also nudge the devs about this related post I made a couple of years ago…

It would be so helpful for the numeric keypad / numpad to be available as distinct keys when setting shortcuts.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• Staff
1 minute ago, Aammppaa said:

Could you also nudge the devs about this related post I made a couple of years ago

I'll include it as an improvement within the bug report :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

21 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I'll log this issue with our devs to be fixed

I did not know that numpad-numbers without modifier are systemwide set to transparency in Affinity-Apps. Could this be the reason that I have trouble keying-in CMYK values into the swatches-palette?

I really could not type numbers using the number row above the letters, therefor they invented the numpad. I'm using an extended keyboard. So I never thought of this difference to be source of error... Please consider talking to the devs about this too.

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

• Staff
Just now, woefi said:

I did not know that numpad-numbers without modifier are systemwide set to transparency in Affinity-Apps

This is only the case if text boxes are not selected, if you've selected a CMYK input box then you should have no issues using either set of numbers, as I don't on my Windows or Mac machine.

Can you not type numbered values using your numpad at all?

Please note -

Many thanks!

yes I can, but i think the issue is with the tab-key.

I tab to the next input field and the focus goes to this field, but I cant type anything in, then when i tab again, it recognizes as TOGGLE UI (so I got kicked out of the input field, obviously) and then I type a number (on the numpad) and the transparency changes! Now I understand!

Wo this has driven me crazy! (but it's not solved, btw.)

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);

• Staff

With the colour studio set to sliders & CMYK, I select the first box with a mouse click, type the value and then hit tab and type in the next box, repeating until I've entered all values. If I then continue to press tab I cycle through all these values again and I never lose focus or toggle UI, regardless of how many times I press tab.

e9f812f694c6e9c2b6f6519a52b70f29.gif

Do you experience different behaviour than this?

Please note -

Many thanks!

4 hours ago, Dan C said:

Do you experience different behaviour than this?

Yes.

If I only tab „around“ and do not enter values, I only get ONE round. When the focus reaches the last field it kicks me out and invokes ToggleUI. 

If I tab and then enter the first value, the next TAB puts the focus (the blue outlne) to the next field but I can‘t enter anything and now pressing tab toggles UI. (I use mac german extended keyboard layout)

I would like to make a screen-video but have to look how to do on MacOS Sierra.  

59 minutes ago, woefi said:

I would like to make a screen-video but have to look how to do on MacOS Sierra.  

@Dan C Here's the video: (sorry for hijacking this thread...)

2125596813_colortabSep.-07-201814-16-27.gif.0f34d7ac7d76c10c4c95b9482bf7a94c.gif