You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font dropdown is hiding my design

• Staff

Maybe we can truncate the font name if it exceeds a certain number of characters to prevent situation like this.

I think that sounds like a good idea. Although it can cause it's own set of problems - for instance if multiple font have the same prefix you still won't know what you are getting if it truncates the useful part. Saying that, it should be rare that this happens.

@reminous Can you provide a screen of these long font names in the dropdown so I can see what it tries to do?

I have this problem also, but will try the fix mentioned.

However, there is an issue withe the character pallet that really bugs me. In Character pallet, when you click on a font, you were previously able to scroll down the list with the arrow keys!... this is no longer available and you now have to click on every font to see it, really slow way to work... will this be changing back to he better way it was?

Thanks

I have this same issue too, but in the font menu I can’t see any font names which are long enough to cause the expansion – none of them fill the dropdown box to more than half the width.

The only thing I can see is a few dingbats and display fonts tend to be the longest names, but even then they aren’t stretching to fill the whole space.

The Linux Biolinium Keyboard font in the screenshot is the longest visible name in my font menu.

W3kiICH.png

• Staff

Ok, thanks. It must be other "less suspicious" font or something else entirely.

The only thing i can suggest is trying to disable all fonts (except the system fonts), and check if the problem disappear. If it's gone, it's one of the fonts you have installed. If it's still there it's probably a bug. But i still believe this is originated by a font.

Rhys, try this old technique from the Mac OS 7 days, when we had to deal with buggy System Extensions:

1. Select the first half of the fonts/files, and disable them.

2. Check to see if the problem persists.

3a. If it does, it means the corrupt file is not in the group. Repeat steps 1 and 2, but this time disable the second half of the fonts/files, then check again to see if the problem persists. It shouldn't, so now proceed to step 3b.

3b. If it doesn't, it means the corrupt file is in the group. Repeat steps 1 and 2, but this time only disable the first half of the suspect files just identified, leaving the second half active. Check again to see if the problem persists. If it does, see step 3a. If it doesn't, repeat this step (3b).

4. Continue this recursive process of disabling the first half or the second half of suspect files and testing until you find the corrupt file. 

OK, disabling all user fonts solved the problem so it must be an issue with a particular font I have installed. I’m going to have some work to do to find out which though ;)

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

I think that sounds like a good idea. Although it can cause it's own set of problems - for instance if multiple font have the same prefix you still won't know what you are getting if it truncates the useful part. Saying that, it should be rare that this happens.

@reminous Can you provide a screen of these long font names in the dropdown so I can see what it tries to do?

I did fix that by going to each problematic font and disable them from my system... In my case it worked well, took me some time but it is normal now so I cant even have a screenshot anymore, sorry. However I remember that the fonts that showed problems were random, most of them had huge blank spaces beetwen its characters that's why the dropdown was that large... The weird thing is that I never had that kind of problem elsewhere. Anyway, I agree with the idea that it was a font problem, thanks a lot anyway!

• Staff

I did fix that by going to each problematic font and disable them from my system... In my case it worked well, took me some time but it is normal now so I cant even have a screenshot anymore, sorry. However I remember that the fonts that showed problems were random, most of them had huge blank spaces beetwen its characters that's why the dropdown was that large... The weird thing is that I never had that kind of problem elsewhere. Anyway, I agree with the idea that it was a font problem, thanks a lot anyway!

It's definitely an oversight by us. I've added a width limiter now so it will come into affect in the next beta. Do you remember which font had this problem?

It's definitely an oversight by us. I've added a width limiter now so it will come into affect in the next beta. Do you remember which font had this problem?

Unfortunately I dont have a track to all of them, but I am pretty sure it happened with futura, univers family. I had this issue with at leas a dozen others.