4 hours ago, fde101 said:

I've never seen ANY evidence supporting this common theory.

Sal Sogohian (one of AppleScript's leading evangelists) had his position at Apple eliminated a few years ago, and as Apple has been generally withdrawing its support for AppleScript, I'd say the writing has been on the wall for a few years. JXA is a viable alternative, but Apple hasn't really been clear about what its future is. There doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for OSA at Apple anymore. It's a real shame, because OSA was a brilliant accomplishment, and it made tying together various applications into a relatively easy, fun exercise.

Apple's apparent lack of enthusiasm for AppleScript these days has been leaving a number of developers uncertain, and that in turn is reducing their enthusiasm for providing scripting support as well. Nobody wants to invest in a lot of effort for a product which could just evaporate—and that, in turn, might well prompt Apple to say, "hey, people are supporting this less, let's go ahead and drop it."

Which is stupid, of course, but I can't pretend to comprehend the corporate politics at Apple. I never would have thought of gluing the RAM and the disk into hardware just to keep users from upgrading, for example, and alienating their customer base seems to be what Apple is into right now.

Now, personally, I think Lua is a fine language for this purpose—as you say, it's designed for this sort of thing. I'm not crazy about EJCaMvAaScript. I certainly wouldn't mind being able to drop 

import affinity

into a Python script, either. But I would like some solution at some point.

Of course, this isn't the most urgent wish I have about the Affinity suite—but it's up there, certainly.

Wouldn't it be nice if the good folks at Serif would lift a tip of the veil so we know what to expect?

Can we, indesign users, still use applescript/javascript in the future with AP or had we better started learning Python or whatever other option?

On 8/16/2019 at 11:40 AM, Raphael Santos said:

One more vote for python as the future scripting language for the affinity suite.

Sorry but I would vote you down. I'm much more fond of Javascript/Typescript than Python.

It will be much hard for Serif to choose one language that will please everyone so I wouldn't be bothered by whichever language they choose (even if they were to introduce one of their own). I think the choice in the end will be which one will be easier to incorporate into the apps.

architect · designer · developer · geek
Affinity Designer 1.7.2 / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2
Windows 10 Pro, version 1903, Build 18362.145