You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher won't open

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi guys. Late post on this one but this was the first/best thread I found when googling 'affinity publisher not opening' - which for me is a brand new problem. Have just updated to the latest version too (after the previous recent version didn't open). New version is 1.7.0.312. The "only" change since I last opened Publisher (within the last few days) was I update my NVIDIA Geforce graphics drivers (for the first time in 2 years) to GeForce Game Ready Driver - which is v 430.64 released May 9th 2019. I'll check other posts and update this one if I find any but the problem/bug is quite simple (on Windows 10 64bit):

1. Click to open Publisher.
2. Initial loading graphic runs/loading the programme
3. The programme starts to open as usual (at least the outline shell of it does)
4. IE the menus don't load, just the outline + the close button etc
5. Within roughly 2-3 seconds (5 at the most) the progamme shell window just silently closes.
6. Closes with no warning, no message, no error, nothing. It just closes.

Running as Adminstrator makes no difference.

PS Affinity Designer seems unaffected (if this is an NVIDIA GeForce driver error). I haven't updated that for a week or three and that version number is 1.6.5.123. I'll look around now and see if I can find a more specific/recent thread on this. Thanks guys.

publisher-loading-screen.jpg

Cross-referencing another thread for this, if that's not considered bad etiquette:

Where the reply is: "Can you please make sure you have the latest (4.7.2) .Net Framework installed?"

I don't yet know if that's what my problem is but will check that and report back here if it fixes it.

Unfortunately, updating to .Net Framework 4.8 seems to have made no difference so any tips/clues would be highly appreciated. Let me know if there's anything I can do to surface any actual events (logs?) that I can get to you. Many thanks.

Interesting. Extra feedback for you. I've just found out that:

1. if I click on a file directly, the file opens without any issues.
2. If I then open the/any file from within the open app then there don't seem to be any problems; but
3. If I try and open the app itself from my pinned shortcut, it fails (closes after 2-3 seconds); and
4. If I try and open any file from my pinned shortcut lists, they also fail to open (same error); and
5. If I try and open from the short-cut alias (on the desktop), it also fails (same error);  and
6. Same error if try from the standard Windows start menu
7. Which is also true if I try and open Publisher.exe file directly.

Seems strange to me (as a non application programmer) but at least I seem to be able to consistently open files directly.

• 6 months later...

Please fix your software Affinity! I'm losing trust in your product day by day because it just keeps getting more broken and more broken it seems! This problem in this thread is happening to me too. I'm using the current MAC Desktop version. This is an "all the sudden" issue that never occurred until your recent "update." (When will I ever learn?). I''ve been an Affinity customer since they first launched and I've steadily watched the program get worse as they try adding to it. It feels like I can't trust a single feature any more. Please don't force us back to having to use Adobe! Please?!? Thanks, if this post even matters.... 

• 5 months later...

image.png.e0d12b8884a4050b456aaf691644916e.png

I'm also stuck with this dialog for several minutes now as Publisher is trying to open a template.

Desktop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.5, Windows 10 Professional, version 2004 (19041.450), 16GB memory, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60GHz, RX 570
Laptop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.2, Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.450), 8GB memory, Intel Core i5-4200M @ 2.50GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4600

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.