You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Linked text frames

I'm struggling with linked text frames, too. I'm experimenting with a book Ive already published on InDesign.

Do I have to link each of the frames separately to the preceding one, all 300-400 pages? In ID you can hold a combination of keys down and the text just flows through all the pages once you click the little link on the right of the first text frame.

But I welcome Publisher's arrival at last.

1 hour ago, Mofab said:

The text marquee's position is a little unpredictable when arrowing up/down to next/previous text frame. I.e. it wont keep it's horizontal position on the row.

It should preserve distance from the left column edge. Is that not what you are seeing?

8 minutes ago, Kuptin said:

I'm struggling with linked text frames, too. I'm experimenting with a book Ive already published on InDesign.

Do I have to link each of the frames separately to the preceding one, all 300-400 pages? In ID you can hold a combination of keys down and the text just flows through all the pages once you click the little link on the right of the first text frame.

But I welcome Publisher's arrival at last.

In Publisher, Shift-Click should Autoflow, creating as many pages and frames as needed for the text.

17 minutes ago, Dave Harris said:

In Publisher, Shift-Click should Autoflow, creating as many pages and frames as needed for the text.

OK, Dave, that seems to work, thanks.

I find the connecting lines rather obtrusive – if they have to be there I'd suggest a much lighter colour. It's not quite intuitive. But I get the impression that things like guide lines and so on are the sort of little touches you're still working on.

14 minutes ago, Kuptin said:

OK, Dave, that seems to work, thanks.

I find the connecting lines rather obtrusive – if they have to be there I'd suggest a much lighter colour. It's not quite intuitive. But I get the impression that things like guide lines and so on are the sort of little touches you're still working on.

Try unticking View > Show Text Flow.

41 minutes ago, Dave Harris said:

It should preserve distance from the left column edge. Is that not what you are seeing?

Yes it should. Now the marquee jumps to either the beginning or the end of the line. (When moving from one text frame to a linked frame.)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.