You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A solution for implementing the Polish dictionary

A solution for implementing the Polish dictionary. Download the files downloaded from https://donate.libreoffice.org/home/dl/src/5.1.3/all/libreoffice-dictionaries-5.1.3.2.tar.xz?idx=2 and place them in the place shown in the screenshot. You can probably use this method for other languages.

Zrzut ekranu (21).png

Zrzut ekranu (22).png

Zrzut ekranu (23).png

Cześć. Dziękuję za wskazówkę jak "zainstalować" polskie łamanie, niestety - ściągnąłem słownik od Libreoffice tak jak zaznaczyłeś, wrzuciłem te 3 pliki w miejsce które wskazałeś, zaznaczyłem use auto-hypenation ale niestety nie stosuje łamania do zaznaczonego tekstu. Czy jest jeszcze jakaś czynność którą trzeba wykonać?

publisher-1.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Zdzislav said:

solve the problem of conjunction hanging at the end of the line in Polish language.

I don't know Polish, but I'm curious what that problem is. Can one of your describe it, to satisfy my curiosity?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/30/2018 at 2:06 PM, pgraficzny said:

A solution for implementing the Polish dictionary. Download the files downloaded from https://donate.libreoffice.org/home/dl/src/5.1.3/all/libreoffice-dictionaries-5.1.3.2.tar.xz?idx=2 and place them in the place shown in the screenshot. You can probably use this method for other languages.

Zrzut ekranu (21).png

Zrzut ekranu (22).png

Zrzut ekranu (23).png

How can i do this in a mac? I have installed the spelling correction but I can't find how to do it for hyphenation :(

Joaquim Berenguer

www.berenguer.info

• 4 months later...

anyone knows how to use this method in Mac OSX? ok I know now, need to be copy from LibreOffice dics folder and copy file  in application, go to AP click right button show content-content- resources-dictionaries and create new folder named in this case dic pl.PL and paste hype.dic into it :) easy

Edited by FroznerDesign
update

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I had the same problem - I tried the dictionary files taken from Libre Office but they did not work at all. The language was recognised by AP regardless of where I put them - whether the default location or the additional one you can set up in the preferences - but spell-check did not recognise any words.

I found the solution in this thread:

It is true that dictionary files from different sources may work differently for some reasons - wrong encoding, some additional content within the file, or even being saved from GitHub "the wrong way".

I downloaded the .aff and .dic files from the unofficial website of the Dictionary of the Polish Language - https://sjp.pl/slownik/ort/ and they worked like a charm!
Later I downloaded the Libre files one more time, making sure they contain only the required list of terms, and they work nicely too (while I guess the Libre one is more reliable, it hasn't been updated for several years, and the SJP dictionary is a bit bigger as it has been constantly developed by the fans).

The issue of hyphenation not working can stem from the same problem. Make sure it is the right file with no additional stuff and saved in the proper encoding standard. It will work.

You can always download the collection mentioned in the thread by Ixolite -  https://github.com/LibreOffice/dictionaries/archive/master.zip

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In case this is of use for others:

I managed to get this to work (Danish language) by doing the following, a bit different than the guide provided in the link above ([FAQ] How do I add additional Dictionaries to Affinity Publisher?).

Do not place the folder and dictionaries here:

C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries\da_DK

Place the folder and dictionaries here:
C:\Program Files\Affinity\Publisher\Resources\Dictionaries\da_DK

The difference being that it is not C:\ProgramData\... but rather C:\Program Files\...

Henrik

4 hours ago, HenrikZ said:

In case this is of use for others:

I managed to get this to work (Danish language) by doing the following, a bit different than the guide provided in the link above ([FAQ] How do I add additional Dictionaries to Affinity Publisher?).

Do not place the folder and dictionaries here:

C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries\da_DK

Place the folder and dictionaries here:
C:\Program Files\Affinity\Publisher\Resources\Dictionaries\da_DK

The difference being that it is not C:\ProgramData\... but rather C:\Program Files\...

The FAQ is correct about where they are supposed to go, Henrik. And while the Program Files location may have worked for you, it is risky because that directory will be deleted any time that you update your Affinity application. So it would be better to use the documented location.

It is odd that they did not work for you there, unless you have modified your Preferences to point somewhere else. Can you provide a screenshot of the Tools panel in your Affinity application Preferences, please?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hi Wat,

Thanks for your input. I now tried out placing the dictionaries in the folder within the C:\ProgramData\... It does not work. Please see video attached.

If it works for me having the dictionaries inside the C:\Program Files\... could I not simply do that and then keep at backup of the dictionaries in case they get deleted?

Henrik

Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703.
Acer Swift SF514-51.
Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (18363.1256).
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.90 GHz. RAM 8,00 GB.
Intel(R) HD Graphics 620.

You have changed the value in Preferences. Please change it back to what it said originally: C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries

You then place the da_DK dictionary in that directory, along with any other dictionary directories that you create.

With what you have in Preferences now, you would need to have a directory named C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries\da_DK\da_DK in order to get your spelling to work.

-- Walt
PC:

15 minutes ago, HenrikZ said:

C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries

Use this path. Open it in explorer. Copy the folder da_DK containing the files da_DK.dic, da_DK.aff and hyph_da_DK.dic into this path. Restart APu if open.

Avoid the folder structure da_DK\da_DK

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed