You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resource Manager for Photo and Designer

Dear Dev-Team,

can you please bring the Resource Manager from Publisher to the Photo and Designer as well? At least for the Designer it would be a nice feature not to save large images within the .afdesign file.
In the case you have to work with images/source files from other sources it would make things easier to update them in the progress.

Thanks. 

• Staff

f..

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

This new feature is very relevant to Publisher. We are trying not to "clutter" our applications so not all new features appear in all others but I am sure it will be considered. However, if this is not added to the other applications then once all our applications are on 1.7 builds you would be able to open Affinity Designer .afdesign and Affinity Photo .afphoto files in Affinity Publisher and use this function and then resave them as .afdesign and .afphoto files. Clunky for many files but possible for one or two that have a lot of resources.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 11 months later...

This missing "resource manager" is really frustrating. I just found out the hard way when I opened an Affinity Designer (version 17.2) document only to found out that the images within are missing and been forcefully shown a "resource manager" dialog to replace/embed the image.

The problem is, at the time I inserted the image, I wasn't made aware that these are only "linked" images and not "embedded" (and there isn't any way to know which is which in Designer until it became missing). Normally I download clip-arts into the Downloads folder and after I've placed them into Designer, I removed the original files.

Now I'm really frustrated of this "linked images" un-feature and there isn't a clear way to see which images are linked and how to forcefully embed them inside the "afdesign" file.

@adib

Designer should embed all images by default.

Do you also use Affinity Publisher and have you opened this document in Publisher at anytime?

If not how exactly did you "insert" the image(s) that are now linked in Designer?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

No, all images seem to be linked by default in Designer 1.7.2 for macOS.

No, I have not opened this document in Publisher.

Nevertheless I have a licensed copy and tried it out during the beta. However I keep my copy of Publisher on an external drive and not normally accessible. The drive wasn't even attached when I created this document or edit it.

I insert the image by dragging the file from the Finder and into Designer.

Thanks,

I don't have a MAC but a few other people have reported what you have seen (linked images in Designer) so hopefully the information you provided will help Support track down the issue.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.