You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi guys thanx for this beta, it looks great!

My suggestions:

- Lock guides (also in Affinity Designer)

- Package whole document

- Implementation of GREP

- Implementation of Nested text styles

- Make master page from actual page

- Import or place text from Word, tables from Excel

iMac: 3,6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9 / Graphic: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB / System: Sonoma 14.1 (23B74)

Nice list...I think you can nest styles using 'Groups'

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 9/1/2018 at 12:28 PM, SillyWalk said:

Right here

421876779_Screenshot2018-09-01at12_24_01.thumb.png.636ff7dc0168e8b84ecba26a4e2cf873.png

Any idea how to get these options into the toolbar? Do I have to add those manually? I am working with version 1.7.0.238 and they are not there by default. I tried customizing the toolbar and couldn't find those buttons there either ... 

Thanks.

Why has this function been removed from Publisher when it at the same time has been announced for the upcoming version of Designer?
Are there any technical reasons? Because this is an option I would call for indispensable for any reasonable program for design or publishing.

So I hope it soon will be back in Publisher.

7 hours ago, fde101 said:

From what I gather, the developers seem to be of the opinion that because the guides can only be moved directly using the move tool this should no longer be necessary.  Most of us do not share that opinion.

More completely, as I understand it, they believe that as they have made it impossible to accidentally select a guide, that locking them is unnecessary. 

If a guide and some other object are in close proximity and you try to grab one with the Move Tool you'll get the other object, not the guide.

Therefore, you can only move a guide if you intend to move it, so you don't need a lock. (Because, obviously, if you intend to move the guide, and it has a lock, you'll simply unlock it. So the lock is worthless to protect against intentional moves, and no longer needed to protect against accidental moves.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Confused. I had a rectangle snapped to a guide. I could accidentally select the guide if I hovered over the guide/rectangle boundary. 

I also in another task wanted to move two guides so I tried to marquee select the guides and could not. After looking at other things I found that there is no partial marquee only full surround marquee.  Am I missing something or is not marquee select not fully implemented yet?

10 minutes ago, SteveP110 said:

Am I missing something or is not marquee select not fully implemented yet?

Set your Preferences:

1941833833_Screenshot2019-02-26at15_58_57.thumb.png.c16d9239655a353ac402e7aff62cd4d8.png

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

13 minutes ago, SteveP110 said:

I also in another task wanted to move two guides so I tried to marquee select the guides and could not.

But you won't be able to select guides that way. These are not objects as per other applications.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• Staff

Hi SteveP110,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Regarding guides, there have been some changes here since Publisher Public Beta started. There was a button to lock guides during beta development as shown in the screenshot above, however it was later removed and in its place a few changes were introduced to prevent moving guides accidentally: they could only be moved on canvas with the Move Tool and they become the lowest priority item on canvas. This means that if you have an object overlapping a guide and you click on canvas over that guide, the object (not the guide) will be selected. Although these changes do help somehow, in some cases/circumstances they still can be moved. There's also the need for a true lock functionality for other use cases/workflows. I've passed all these feedback to the dev team in the hope this can be reconsidered and this is where we stand now. As soon as there's some news we will let everyone know.

On 2/26/2019 at 4:00 PM, Seneca said:

Set your Preferences:

1941833833_Screenshot2019-02-26at15_58_57.thumb.png.c16d9239655a353ac402e7aff62cd4d8.png

Thanks, now I remember I had set that earlier. That's the problem sometimes with playing with Beta's you change preferences forget about them. Then reset preferences, and have problems that are not problems

As an addition would it be possible to implement different right and left drag marquee as some programs have. It is an option I find very useful when selecting overlapping layers.

Right drag is enclosed selection, Left drag is partial selection

• Staff

Hi SteveP110,
Besides that option in Preferences you can also press and hold ⌃(ctrl) on a Mac or press and hold the right-mouse button (along with the left one) on Windows while creating the selection marquee to switch between these two behaviours (partial/full surround marquee).

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, MEB said:

Just an update on this topic: the Lock Guides command is now available from the View ▸ Lock Guides menu in Affinity Designer Customer Beta 1.7.0.6. It should be added to the rest of the apps in the upcoming Betas.

Interestingly, in Affinity Designer Customer Beta 1.7.0.6 this menu item disappears when I change the language to German. In the newest Version of Affinity Photo Customer Beta 1.0.7.112 the Menu Item shows - but just in English as it is so far not yet translated, i suppose.

MissingItem.jpg

Lock_Guides_AfPhoto_1.7.0.112.jpg

On 2/28/2019 at 9:54 AM, MEB said:

Hi SteveP110,
Besides that option in Preferences you can also press and hold ⌃(ctrl) on a Mac or press and hold the right-mouse button (along with the left one) on Windows while creating the selection marquee to switch between these two behaviours (partial/full surround marquee).

Am I reading this correct press and hold the Control key then click and drag to chnage marquee behaviour on a mac. I hav tried it and Control Click is  a right click on a mac so I get the context sensitive menu not marquee select.