You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Column/Row Grid and Snaping for Column Edges

I may have missed something, but it would be incredibly helpful if the snapping options recognized column boundaries as snap targets. I think this is something that should definitely be in the 1.0 release.

Also, a grid feature for layout grids with not only support for just vertical divisions for columns, but also horizontal rows would be fantastic. It should be possible to use different grid options per spread or master page.

Ideally, there would also be an option to also rotate this grid at an angle and have rectangular text frames, shapes, images etc. be created and transformed and snapped at that angle to make layouts with slightly rotated content really easy without the need to place nested documents (and all the ugly workarounds that come with that like duplicated styles).

First of all: OMG so happy that this product is coming! The last tool I need to get rid of Adobe! Thanks so much for the great work!
I absolutely agree with Peter on snapping to text column. Also, I can't find a way to change the text column width; that will hopefully be a feature :)
I would have loved to see a columns / margins setting like they do with Indesign, but i guess the text frames with columns would do just as well if snapping was a thing :)

I was actually looking for gutter width, but you answered that question as well. Thanks!

@Peter Werner Publisher has all the usual grid options plus baseline grid.

• View > Grid
  • View > Grid and Axis Manager
  • View > Baseline Grid Manager

Perfectly possible to set up a rotated grid, and then snap text / picture frames etc to it. However the Grid seems to be document based rather than per Page / Master Page.

Shapes, and Picture Frames can be created at the rotated angle (create along a line by holding rightmouse during creation) but this doesn't seem to apply to Artistic Text / Text Frames / Placing images.

So…

+1 for Snapping to Column boundaries.

+1 for creating everything along a line.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

@Aammppaa Thanks for the tip with the rotated grids for angled layouts, I'll have to look into those options!

However, what I'm looking for in addition to these settings is a layout grid that allows me to set up guides for text columns and image positioning, such as six columns with an x mm gutter, similar to what InDesign has. It has to work in addition to the regular document grid. Just like the "Margins and Columns" settings in InDesign, but with the additional option to do the same thing also with horizontal divisions, not just vertical ones.

For instance, it would be common for a page layout to have 7 grid columns for a 3-column page. Then text frames, sidebars, image descriptions and so on would be created spanning one or more columns of the layout grid. This can be done manually with guides on master pages of course, but adjustments are rather time consuming.

This is a weird omission and I'm wondering if I'm just not seeing where the function actually exists.

For those uncertain of what page grids look like...

Thinking_with_Type_Grid_5.gif

The workaround, for now, appears to be creating a text frame with columns on a master page. Then drag guides from the rulers to align with the text frame columns. Delete the text frame.

UPDATE: You can already load and save grids in the Grid Manager, so not too much hassle to switch between a square grid and a rotated grid

@Peter Werner I have never used InDesign, so I'm afraid that I can't make direct comparisons.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro