ch1ptune

Is it possible to package a project in Publisher?

I would also like to chime in and say that packaging is an extremely important function.

At this stage, it's really the only thing holding me back. I really like all of the Affinity products, and considering the increasing price of Adobe's products, I REALLY want to switch. But, when working with deadlines, I just need things to work reliably, quickly and simply. I can't embed (way too large file size) and I can't be chasing after linked images, fonts and other resources.

Does Affinity Publisher have by any chance a public road map which can be viewed?

On 7/8/2019 at 7:11 PM, idyguy said:

WOW! Here we are almost a year after this post and there is still no method for packaging a project. I simply cannot understand why this feature has not been implemented. 

You simple cannot understand software development. Publisher is still brand new! They cannot put in every feature every user "demands" in the first release. It's not like the first release of Pagemaker had every feature of the current InDesign version.

We all have different priorities, but there are way more features out there that are essential than this, for most users (I'd guess more people probably need IDML import first). Packaging is convenient and they are working on it for future releases. Until then the current version of Publisher is quite capable for creating content for many users and it's without doubt the best thing that has come to life for desktop publishing, for us who want an InDesign replacement.

Even Indesign was not able to package files from the first release on. It took a while for a native option (packaging and / or preflight), in the meantime (back in good old days) I had to use Flightcheck Pro (Mac).

So give Serif the time they need.

Posted (edited)

The point is:

If you intend to bring out a software that SERIOUSLY competes with InDesign, it should do at least  EVERYTHING InDesign does but BETTER.

If Serif does not do that, they apparantly do not intend to (or at least try to ) beat Adobe seriously, and Serif will stay on the amateur market.

This may sound harsh, but this is in fact the ONLY way to make any chance in breaking into the professional InDesign market.

Anyone coming from InDesign should NEVER have the feeling that something is missing.

So end of discussion: packaging is a MUST, as is everything else that InDesign does.

So people at Serif: No delay, do it today!

( Bill Gates would just say: work harder!)

Edited by vjbasil
updated the content

3 hours ago, vjbasil said:

So people at Serif: No delay, do it today!

Rushing into things results in mistakes (bugs) and lower quality.

I would much rather they took their time on features like this and got them right.

That said, this one at least "feels" like low-hanging fruit: something that should require much less effort than many of the other requests but make a nontrivial difference for a number of people, so it seems like something that should be close to the top of the list of things to get out of the way.

It also shouldn't require a file format change or anything of that nature, so it should even be do-able in a point release, say 1.7.4 or 1.7.5, and not need to wait for 1.8 to roll around.

Personally, I couldn't care less about this feature at the moment, and I'm sure a lot of Serif's user base would not care about it one way or the other either (which may be why it hasn't emerged yet?), but I do see where it is needed for some, and as it is a relatively small effort (I would guess), I would think this would be a good target to shoot for sooner rather than later.

3 hours ago, vjbasil said:

as is everything else that InDesign does.

This one, however, is completely wrong.  Publisher is NOT InDesign and should not attempt to be.  InDesign is InDesign and Publisher is Publisher.  Don't forget that there are still some other big players in this field, such as QuarkXPress, and they don't do everything InDesign does either.  Some things they do better, others not as well (or at all in some cases).

5 hours ago, vjbasil said:

If you intend to bring out a software that SERIOUSLY competes with InDesign, it should do at least  EVERYTHING InDesign does but BETTER.

Sure, there are things that InDesign (which has had years to mature) does that Publisher does not, as our feature requests often reflect. But to expect it to do "everything" that InDesign does—and "better" at that—is expecting way too much. Especially if you realize that you would be getting all of that for paying only once the equivalent of 20% of a single year of using InDesign. You can't have it all.

A friend who studied business once explained to me that if you are paying to have something done, you can't get it done cheaply, quickly, and well. You can pick any two of those three, but generally not all three. If you want both quality and speed, you better be willing to throw a lot of money at it. (I hope that I, who has not studied business, did not misconstrue what my friend told me.)

13 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

(I hope that I, who has not studied business, did not misconstrue what my friend told me.)

It isn't a business school saying per se, more of a tradesman's explanation to a customer. "You can only choose two: Good, Fast, or Cheap"

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.3 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.8.0.499