You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

All Affinity products do not properly display and edit the Thai language. I don't use Design or Photo with much Thai, but Publisher will be used with Thai a lot. For me, it's not usable right now. When will that be supported?

hello raguay,

it will take some time until the language files are available.
look here

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

7 minutes ago, Gnobelix said:

it will take some time until the language files are available.
look here

That thread is about the lack of user interface languages other than English in Affinity Publisher. The OP is asking about proper support for the Thai language in documents.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Yes. I'm not interested in the program showing Thai for the menus and such. I want to be able to format Thai documents in Affinity Publisher and make art of Thai letters in Affinity Design. Right now, all the characters that show above and below other characters are instead taking up their own spot. Very annoying.

oh sorry, then I did not understand something.

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

• Staff
1 hour ago, raguay said:

All Affinity products do not properly display and edit the Thai language.

Which fonts are you using?  We do have an issue logged where certain fonts don't display correctly but from reading this post there are a few suggestions which work.  Also from reading our log file, i believe TH Sarabun New should also work. 

Oh, I see. Yes, some of my fonts work with Thai in Affinity products and some don't. I'll make a note of that. Good information. I didn't realize some of the standard system fonts don't have the proper information for the Thai fonts (Arial and such). They all work in browser based programs.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, cc7 said:

Thai fonts is complex script there are a lot of vowels. Hope to see Thai language display correctly soon because I have to use Thai fonts for my work.

Certain Thai fonts to work. Many of them do not properly have their information in the font so they do not show up properly. But, Thai fonts that have all the proper information in the font do work fine. I guess we just need better fonts! For example, the Ayuthaya font works, but Arial doesn't work. Just pick the Thai fonts that work and use them.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, bantolec said:

Could you tell me which fonts you have working?

Did you see this post?

On 8/30/2018 at 12:51 PM, stokerg said:

Which fonts are you using?  We do have an issue logged where certain fonts don't display correctly but from reading this post there are a few suggestions which work.  Also from reading our log file, i believe TH Sarabun New should also work. 

From the link in the above post:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, felix10250 said:

My font of choice is working. However hyphenation is still simply not happening. Tried adding libre office's dict files but without success. :(

Do you have hyphenation turned on with the Paragraph Style?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi Bruce, thanks. Yes, I download all 5 files from https://github.com/LibreOffice/dictionaries/tree/master/th_TH and put them in the correct folder. I am able to choose Thai as the language for spelling, and both typography options. However not for hyphenation which only has 8 languages to select from (English, French, Italian, etc.). Thai is not in that list. I also activated auto-hyphenation (see screenshot) but that doesn't seem to have an any affect.

I also tried finding other th_TH packages but those didn't work either. I also noted that there is no "hyph_th_TH.dic" file and I was unable to find one (if it even exists of course). Also searching in my old Scribus environment (an open source DTP software which was able to do Thai hyphenation) did not help, I could not find any file that looked like a "missing key" or something...

auto-hyphenation.png

language settings.png

7 hours ago, felix10250 said:

Yes, I download all 5 files from https://github.com/LibreOffice/dictionaries/tree/master/th_TH and put them in the correct folder.

7 hours ago, felix10250 said:

I also noted that there is no "hyph_th_TH.dic" file

Right. That site does not supply a hyphenation dictionary for Thai, and therefore auto-hyphenation won't work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Ok, thanks for checking -- I wasn't sure wheather or not "hyph_th_TH" was a thing or not. I only vaguely remembered something from way back. If anyone has an idea where I could get the hyphenation file for Thai, that would very helpful for me. I tried several Google searches for "hunspell th_th" and the likes but I can't seem to find a "hyph_th_th" file.

• 2 years later...
On 9/3/2021 at 6:08 PM, walt.farrell said:

Right. That site does not supply a hyphenation dictionary for Thai, and therefore auto-hyphenation won't work.

A few months after this post, a hyphenation dictionary "hyph_th_TH.dic" for Thai was added to the GitHub page.

Unfortunately, this STILL has not seemed to fix the problem. It's possible I am overlooking a setting in some area of Designer. But I tried typing the same phrase in both Designer and LibreOffice, and when I resize the text window to force a line break and/or hyphen break, Designer still gets it wrong (despite having the hyphenation dictionary) while LibreOffice handles it correctly and breaks at the right place.

Am I missing something here?

Screenshot 2023-11-09 151048.png

3 hours ago, ejmeier said:

Unfortunately, this STILL has not seemed to fix the problem. It's possible I am overlooking a setting in some area of Designer.

You cannot enable automatic hyphenation in Designer; that is a function of the. Paragraph panel (or Paragraph Text Styles) that is reserved for Publisher.

If you enable it in Publisher I think it will work properly in Designer, though.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, I was able to get Thai auto-hyphenation working in Publisher, but the results are not as expected. The program is only adding hyphens in the middle of long words, but the problem is that Thai uses very few spaces (usually just one at the end of a sentence or clause). So it appears Publisher is only adding hyphens in the middle of words, when it really should be detecting whole words (written in sentences without spaces) and preferentially breaking the line between words, which it is not.

Also, I guess the last hump to get over would be that Thai hardly ever uses printed hyphens, so I'd be looking for the functionality of the line breaks, but with no visible hyphen. (I believe there are workarounds for this, but I have yet to get the word breaks to work yet.)