You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When will language versions be available?

Thanks for the beta!
When will there be a German language version (and others)? I hope you don't wait until the purchase version is ready, as stated in the press release. This would limit the number of people who want to seriously test the beta.
With AD and AP that went quite well. The translation was not complete at the beginning, but then it became more and more complete.

6 minutes ago, Pauls said:

We will have the same language set and will start translating once we have the compatible Designer and Photos products available. I'm sure you will see the progress in future beta versions.

It’s a pity that the press release suggests otherwise (under the footnote heading ‘Notes to Editors’):

The beta is available with English UI only. Other languages will be available at retail launch.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
7 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

It’s a pity that the press release suggests otherwise:

"Other languages will be available at retail launch" is a true statement that does not preclude them being available before during beta. It does not say "Other languages will not be available until retail launch", "start translating" does not mean "finish translating" and "progress" does not mean "finished"

Why be pedantic (and in this case unhelpful)?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

16 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

"Other languages will be available at retail launch" is a true statement that does not preclude them being available before during beta.

The OP inferred that “at” means “not before” (and so did I, for what little it’s worth). It would have been better to say “by” or “on or before”.

At the very least, it should have been made clear that the statement “The beta is available with English UI only” may not necessarily apply to all beta builds.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Dear all, 

this topic is not precise enough.

Do you mean that the user interface will be in English only for the beta version ?

Do you mean that the all spelling dictionaries are not yet available ? It seems impossible to change the spelling dictionary, say to French.

The present set-up is hard to test in non-English language,  texts are hardly readable, hence not practical to manipulate

What about accented and special characters from other languages  ?

How to deal with multilingual documents ?

If in practice the above mentioned features are not available, I would consider the product as alpha, .... and not worth testing.

Regards, Philippe

It is very important to have a nice multi language support. If not for the interface, the dictionary support for as many languages as possible is critical. As I live in Bulgaria, we use Cyrillic, and the support for the Opentype subsets and other options is really important, if you want to produce a high quality documents. For me, the language support in Designer and Photo is a bit limited for non latin based languages, especially for Cyrillic. And the Cyrillic itself has a variations, e.g. Bulgarian is not the same as Russian, or Serbian and Macedonian. I can live with this in these programs, but for Publisher it will be a deal breaker.

I agree. Language support is essential. The main purpose is to make texts readable and make people to read texts. A layout program without a very good dictionary and a very good hyphenation will be in little demand.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.