You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

text frames on master page - how to use in normal pages

really excited by Publisher beta !

So I've added some images and text frames in the master pages (facing). And created normal pages from these master pages... so far so normal.

The text frames are visible in the normal pages view but I can't add / insert any text to them. It's almost as if APublisher wants me to add text frames only in the normal pages and only use guides in the master pages?

Am I missing something?

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 11.28.22.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 11.27.51.png

Hi tariq

You are not missing something. Objects on the master page are to only be edited on the master page. Applied master page objects are available a the bottom of the layers panel for manipulation but will still behave as if you were editing them on the master page itself. There are plans to be able to detach master page object and promote them to the current page so it does not sync back to the rest of the master pages but this is not something that is available yet

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

2 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

No way. A master is a master  is a master.

Place the image on layout page and copy/paste it.

but thats not the point of a master.. a master is the place to design your pages .. and the normal page is to fill in content.. you shouldnt be copying elements across normal pages....

is there somewhere you have set out how Publisher works.. because these ideas seem really contrary to DTP ... and ive used several systems over 20 years...

Anything that is part of a master page will be applied to every page that master page is assigned to. So any text you add to a master page object will be on every other page too. There is current no other method for this other than making the text frame on the actual pages you want them

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

8 minutes ago, tariq said:

is there somewhere you have set out how Publisher works..

Have you watched the Master Pages video tutorial?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

You can sort get around it..sort of by using the layers panel.

Masters appear as locked layers.

1. You can add content to Master from here (layer) by releasing (Unlock) the layer for editing and changing content...It will also affect Master

2. Control +J will duplicate Master Content and release to the current page. Hide Master element beneath or remove.

3. You can also add multiple Masters to a single page (right-click on page and select Apply Masters) then un-check: 'replace existing' OR ALT+Drag Additional Masters over required page and these get stacked as layers in layers panel.

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

so whats the right way of designing empty elements like text frames on a master pages so they're filled in on normal pages?

guides on masters and new text frames on every page (even 500 pages for a book?)

32 minutes ago, StuartRc said:

You can sort get around it..sort of by using the layers panel.

Masters appear as locked layers.

1. you can add content to Master from here by releasing (Unlock) the layer for editing

2. Control +J will duplicate Master Content and release to the current page

3. You can also add multiple Masters to a single page (right-click on page and select Apply Masters) then uncheck replace existing OR ALT+Drag Additional Masters over page and these get stacked in layers.

This seems like a reasonable work around for the time being. Not great for a ~500 page book though but for most smaller documents this seems OK. The InDesign shortcut of holding a modifier key or two down and clicking on the elements to edit from the master is pretty helpful. Allowing by item control for each page as to which master elements are applied and which are not, very powerful and means you may only need a small number of master pages per document.

2 minutes ago, robinp said:

This seems like a reasonable work around for the time being. Not great for a ~500 page book though but for most smaller documents this seems OK. The InDesign shortcut of holding a modifier key or two down and clicking on the elements to edit from the master is pretty helpful. Allowing by item control for each page as to which master elements are applied and which are not, very powerful and means you may only need a small number of master pages per document.

I agree..and it is indeed a powerful Indesign function...I am positive issues like this will be addressed in the future.:)..But I also like the way Masters are editable from the layers Panel. I suppose you could use assets to construct overlays or add embedded files with additional page elements.... on top of layered Masters as another physical option/solution for now!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

20 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

Just sayin’ … I also hope this functionality will be added in the future … :)

I have never used InDesign or anything more powerful than Apple's 'iWork' stuff for page layouts so this may be a dumb question, but isn't something similar to what you want available from the Publisher "Master Pages" studio panel?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

No, the feature in question is placing elements on a master page and make them accessible (movable, editable, replacing the content, …) from the layout page. This is quite nice, but really complicated (should these element remain linked to the master in respect to the non-modified attributes or not?) to achieve. No feature at all for an initial version. You may achieve the same effects by duplicating or copy/pasting elements, or by duplicating whole pages as a template.

I don’t know whether this is a feature for an initial version or not. I believe that depends on the programming efforts required for its implementation. But it is a very useful feature, R C-R. Imagine you have a text frame with some contents on a master page. Then this text frame and its contents will be propagated to all pages based on this master page. Now, suppose there is just one page in your document that should feature a different content in the propagated text frame. Then the said feature would allow you to “tear off” this text frame from the rest of the master page content and enter something different here.

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Have you watched the Master Pages video tutorial?

I have and all that shows is how to design a master pages with shapes/colours/text that appear on every page.

Here is a short video showing the use of master pages with text frames where the text is edited on the actual pages, and the master page is used to manage the size/location/etc of those text frames... which means you can change the master page once and all the text frames on the actual pages change ...

@R C-R: No, what people in this thread are looking for is, placing a text frame on a master page, and having this text frame work as template, meaning whenever you add more text or pages, the text flows from one page to the next, using the text frame / dimensions set up on the master page. Similar to what Word does with their ,text margins'. Almost every DTP application has some implementation of this feature, because it is very tedious to copy and link all text frames / pages manually when you have text-heavy documents.

6 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

Have you tried using Autoflow for text? Create the first frame, add the text, then shift-click on the Text Flow button at the lower right of the frame. It will create new pages and frames by cloning the one you clicked on.

This is awesome, I missed that feature.

Still the consent of this threat seems to be clear.
There is a need for something like Master Text Frames in inDesign, otherwise the software is not a reasonable option for books layouts or any layouts that exceed around 50 pages. 
I know this is a big feature, but IMHO this is a feature for Version 1, because otherwise there will be a lot of disillusioned designers that will try it out and find it not usable.

52 minutes ago, rcheetah said:

This is awesome, I missed that feature.

Still the consent of this threat seems to be clear.
There is a need for something like Master Text Frames in inDesign, otherwise the software is not a reasonable option for books layouts or any layouts that exceed around 50 pages. 
I know this is a big feature, but IMHO this is a feature for Version 1, because otherwise there will be a lot of disillusioned designers that will try it out and find it not usable.

agreed

10 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

Have you tried using Autoflow for text? Create the first frame, add the text, then shift-click on the Text Flow button at the lower right of the frame. It will create new pages and frames by cloning the one you clicked on.

Personally, I almost wish we could go back to the way XPress did master text flows. It allowed you to do things like flow a sidebar column into the main text column into a basal text page, etc. And if at a later date you wanted to switch to a different layout, you didn't end up with the possibility of dead text boxes on your page like you do in InDesign.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.