You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Implemented] Data merge

2 minutes ago, E9B6 said:

As a csv file it loaded, but I do not get any extra subsets in the view studio tab, so I do not see how I can get the fields into the document

There is a Fields panel, the imported data will be at the bottom, expand the little triangle, you then need to double click the field name...not the field. You need to have a text frame or a table active with the cursor flashing to insert a field

Got it, found the fields, entered them in a plain document, and the mail merge generated 83 single plages with the date on.

BUT my real document would be four or eight pages, with the date only on the first page,

That is going to masker one huge document

I think I preferred the page plus system, where it is only generated at the time of printing

When is the xlsx file access going to work?

1 minute ago, E9B6 said:

Got it, found the fields, entered them in a plain document, and the mail merge generated 83 single plages with the date on.

BUT my real document would be four or eight pages, with the date only on the first page,

That is going to masker one huge document

I think I preferred the page plus system, where it is only generated at the time of printing

Well, i have tried xlsx files and it works, and not only me. I have loaded 2 ones in Data Merge Manager and see them in Fields panel, adding fields from both at same time, so xslx file access is working yet... Maybe you can upload your xslx file and we can test in our systems.

10 minutes ago, E9B6 said:

You can also use the Data Merge Node Tool image.png.d0fecbd1963558e3ee58e82f52811ebb.png

You might need to View>Customise Tools and drag it into your Toolbar

With a bit of experimentation you should be able to get the layout you want, your text frame will need to be nested in the DMNT. The tool can be set for as many columns and rows you need on a page by using the settings in the Context Toolbar

8 minutes ago, E9B6 said:

Please keep in mind that this functionality was released for the first time and in the beta version just a couple of days ago. It's only goal is to test it and to contribute to bug finding.

If it does not work for you it is best to try to drill down the cause of the crash (as you already did by simplifying your sheet) and then report it over in the beta forum (https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/62-affinity-publisher-beta-forums/). That way moderators can pick it up and report it to the developers.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

DMTool added to toolbar,

I haven't a clue what it is telling me

I have a document with eight pages, the data is showing on page 1 for the first item in my data merge file (still csv at this time)

I really need to be able to view each line in the data in the document to ensure that the layout is right. I cannot see how you do this.

I get preserve Cell size, gutter, rows, columns, record offset, record advance, record origin, layout order, record order

What on earth is that all about

Serif - you are usually so intuitive - one of your strengths. This is not.

4 minutes ago, dominik said:

Please keep in mind that this functionality was released for the first time and in the beta version just a couple of days ago. It's only goal is to test it and to contribute to bug finding.

Well, that funcionality works in PagePlus X9, so Serif have experience in that matter, i think ;)

15 minutes ago, E9B6 said:

2 minutes ago, dominik said:

If it does not work for you it is best to try to drill down the cause of the crash (as you already did by simplifying your sheet) and then report it over in the beta forum (https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/62-affinity-publisher-beta-forums/). That way moderators can pick it up and report it to the developers.

Cheers,
d.

I suspect the problem is coming from the original xls file when it was converted to xlsx, I have had problems with xlsx files saved from Numbers, Publisher doesn't like some functions and formats used in the xlsx file, it shouldn't crash though. I have reported my problems so hopefully they will get it fixed, until then I can use csv.

3 minutes ago, E9B6 said:

Serif - you are usually so intuitive - one of your strengths. This is not.

I found it intuitive but I work with data a lot

3 minutes ago, Jose Alvarez said:

so Serif have experience in that matter, i think ;)

Yes, but experience does not prevent that bugs are being made during development in a new software package 😉

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

17 hours ago, dominik said:

Make sure that the text object where you insert the fields is within the 'Data Merge Node'. You can check and see in the layers panel. See screenshot.

data-merge-layers.jpg.e67a42d499ad2e806cbce35d07784afe.jpg

Does this make sense to you?

d.

HI Dominik, 

Thank you for your patience with me. 
I've just tried what you suggested, but instead of calling in all rows - including the field headers which are needed for this to work - it's calling in just the first row. 

I'm not sure this is going to work for me for now. It needs to be a bit more idiot proof before this idiot can use it! 

The principle is there and that excites me. 

20 minutes ago, E9B6 said:

I really need to be able to view each line in the data in the document to ensure that the layout is right. I cannot see how you do this.

Make sure that you have preview selected in the Data Merge Manager

The attached screenshot shows the DMNT dragged out to 2 columns and 2 rows, you can control the sizes using the Context Toolbar Cell Width & Cell Height. There is a single text box in the top left cell, the fields have been added there. You can see the layout of the first row of your data source, when you generate the merge all records will be there. Hover your cursor over the other items in the context toolbar to see the tooltip explanations of what they do.

You just need to experiment, I am not sure what your layout needs to look like.  

image.thumb.png.3e7161453ab8a0f37ed28ae6a7190d2d.png

1 minute ago, Phil Creighton said:

I've just tried what you suggested, but instead of calling in all rows - including the field headers which are needed for this to work - it's calling in just the first row. 

I'm not sure this is going to work for me for now. It needs to be a bit more idiot proof before this idiot can use it! 

No problem. As I mentioned somewhere else, this still has some rough edges 😉

One important thing is to set 'Delimiter' and 'Quote' correctly in the 'Source' section of the 'Data Merge Manager'.

I really had to play around with this for myself before I understood its working. But once understood (and fully developed) it will be quite usefull.

d.

2 minutes ago, Phil Creighton said:

HI Dominik, 

The principle is there and that excites me. 

Hi Phil, I have been fiddling and created a file that you can try. I have removed all of the field references so that you can add your own to the table row, just double click in each cell and then double click the matching Field Name. Copy the original whole row down (including the nested table) as many times as needed after you have added the data fields. You need to drag each copy down using the move tool, you can arrange them properly when all rows are in place.

Data Merge Tables Sample 2.afpub

10 minutes ago, Jose Alvarez said:

AHHHH SORRY, only in csv files.

So, you found it yourself (with Murfee's help) 🙂
Sorry I forgot to mention that this applies only to .csv files.

d.

One thing: you can import more than one file into Data Merge Manager, but can you import fields from more than one file into the same document? Im trying and i can't, neither all fields in the same text frame or every file in his frame.

I have tried with two files with same structure and can double click fields from both files, but AFP only combine data from first file in Fields panel.

Edited by Jose Alvarez
Adding data

32 minutes ago, Jose Alvarez said:

I have tried with two files with same structure and can double click fields from both files, but AFP only combine data from first file in Fields panel.

Im not quite sure what you want to achieve. I have a document that imports text data from one .csv and image paths from a different .csv. Both are merged into one document (some sort of tickets with serial numbers) perfectly.

You just have to make sure that each file and data source is set up correctly.

d.

Back to have a second try.

Created new xlsx  file but afpub crashes as soon as it tries to load it.

File attached.

Using the csv file, I now have the field headings showing in the document  but cannot view the contents even though preview is ticked in the data merge manager

And YES I took note of what Alvarez and Murfee was trying to say.

I have used page plus since VERSION ONE and used their data merge system all the time. That I found intuitive.

This one need a lot of explanations as to where you find everything

877 experimental.xlsx