You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Implemented] Data merge

5 minutes ago, flashpoint said:

Is there work on a property such as data merge? Beta versions were not available. Does anyone have information?

Hello @flashpoint,

I do not know of any official information if and when data merge will be implemented. You may want to look out for an official feature roadmap that will be published once APub is officially released. This will perhaps shed some light onto the topic.

The roadmap is most likely a fixed post at the top of the 'Feature requests & Feedback' forum.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

I am pleased that the beta phase is complete and I am sure many people will benefit from the features it will deliver. 

However, for me, it is useless without the data merge functionality.  I will not be taking advantage of any of the beta offers, as  I am happy to wait until the feature is present and then I will be happy to pay for the product.

In the meantime, I am becoming an expert with Python and can easily use this to create very good Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Pdf documents with amazingly few commands. The advantage of using something like Python is that once I have the data source and formatting rules tested, I can run the Python mini app with an extremely high level of confidence of it working, it is extremely efficient.  I am still interested in a Data Merge as for some clients setting up a more user friendly data merge will be of more value.

With Powerpoint / Python combo, I can create a very sophisticated Powerpoint package (ie multiple pages with different and  complex layouts) and easily insert data and images into their respective placeholders.  In fact, this is easier and more reliable than Word Mail Merge. 

Best wishes with the launch, glad to see progress made and hoping the Data Merge gets some TLC asap.

Regards.

9 minutes ago, dominik said:

PS: I assume it makes sense to hide these posts as well. That would be OK with me.

tip.gif If you post a message and decide later that you don’t want it to remain visible, you can use the ‘Options’ link below the posted message to access the ‘Hide’ option. Choosing that option will cause your post to be hidden from everybody except the moderators.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

tip.gif If you post a message and decide later that you don’t want it to remain visible, you can use the ‘Options’ link below the posted message to access the ‘Hide’ option. Choosing that option will cause your post to be hidden from everybody except the moderators.

Hi @Alfred,

thanks for the tip. I remember slightly haven read about this feature. I haven't used it before and so it slipped out of my mind.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

1+ for data merge and

1+ I will be staying with PagePlus also until data merge is put back.

I hope that when data merge is put back that we don't have to completely regenerate the documents every time but instead do a refresh.

I'm also available for hire if Serif would like to bring me on to help develop the data merge, definitely would like to help.

Thank You

Another +1 for data merge, without it I will continue using scribus with python and bash scripts that are merging in data for my board game design :( I love Affinity Designer and the publisher beta had me excited, but didn't do what I needed it to. 

Edited by viability

I also do need data-merge +1

PS: If you like maps you might also have a look at this community!
PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

+1 

Just bought Publisher and already have one small project where I could use it.

In the meantime I set it up in InDesign, where it sort-of works, but not very well... hoping for affinity to do a better job than #ADBE!

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

Data merge and bar code generator is very important features we use every day, just bought the full version of Publisher and also owning Photo and Designer from their launch.

Please Serif, add this features on upcoming updates, just wanted to cancel my Adobe account asap.

• Staff

@Nicreativ

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) Thanks for your support.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon