You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Implemented] Data merge

+1 BIG TIME for data merge.  Frankly, without it, there is really no reason to move to an affinity publisher platform from my current workflow.  

To date, Designer and Photo have served my needs very well.  I started with Designer and after a few weeks use there, Photo was happily purchased.  If Publisher debuts without data merge, I will just have to wait patiently until the feature is added; Publisher would will not be an automatic purchase.

I truly believe that you will be shooting yourself in your foot if you launch a software application targeting professionals and advanced hobbyists/amateurs without a top-notch, innovative, and user-friendly data merge capability.  In the circles I create, this feature alone could set you apart and drive demand from hundreds of users to your software.

Best of luck with your project.

Cheers

1 hour ago, 001 said:

With three pages of requests, could the Affinity team please respond with their thoughts on the inclusion of data merge in Publisher.  I am curious if this thread has influenced the direction this is heading.  Thank you.

We're aware of the need for it, and will add it eventually, but almost certainly not for the initial release. We've too much other stuff to do.

On 8/31/2018 at 4:21 PM, Patrick Connor said:

@gregoiredierendonck, @Sponka, @debiant, @Josh Mills, @lights95 , @BoloGauranga, @TomJG  @am2008, @J. One, @ilocho and anyone else I have missed (sorry)

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

I have pinned this popular post to the top of the forum for others to find more easily. I cannot say if this will be implemented anytime soon, but clearly it would be desirable to you and others.

I asked for this before you guys even made the beta version public and its still not implemented. Its such a vital feature and I cannot believe its still not even in the update!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Dave Harris said:

We're aware of the need for it, and will add it eventually, but almost certainly not for the initial release. We've too much other stuff to do.

too much other stuff??? you need to listen to your potential customers. us designers can do work arounds for nearly all other things but data merge is a MUST. Im not even interested in Affinity software until this feature is included!

• Staff
30 minutes ago, DanParsons said:

I asked for this before you guys even made the beta version public and its still not implemented. Its such a vital feature and I cannot believe its still not even in the update!!!!!!!!!!

Features are not added on a first come first served basis,

27 minutes ago, DanParsons said:

...you need to listen to your potential customers.....

We do, but that does not mean having to do everything we are asked as soon as we are asked. Publisher 1.7.0 may not be right for you if mail merge is a "MUST" for you, but the comments here are still being read and considered for future features. Suggesting something should have already been added indicates you may not appreciate what is involved in adding this type of feature, and as Dave Harris says you should not expect it to appear any time soon.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

We do, but that does not mean having to do everything we are asked as soon as we are asked. Publisher 1.7.0 may not be right for you if it is a "MUST" for you, but the comments here are still being read and considered for future features. Suggesting something should have already been added in the 2 weeks between first beat and the release of beta 1.7.0.128 indicates you may not appreciate what is involved in adding this type of feature, and as Dave Harris says you should not expect it to appear any time soon.

mate, my wife is a software architect so I do know what is involved. and personally I don't care because I have full licenced Adobe products and will continue to use them until its implemented but clearly I am not the only designer asking for this feature, if you don't want to listen to your potential customers that is your prerogative.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

We do, but that does not mean having to do everything we are asked as soon as we are asked. Publisher 1.7.0 may not be right for you if it is a "MUST" for you, but the comments here are still being read and considered for future features. Suggesting something should have already been added indicates you may not appreciate what is involved in adding this type of feature, and as Dave Harris says you should not expect it to appear any time soon.

Wow.  That is an awful lot of attitude  towards an audience who you are asking to give their time for FREE to help you evaluate your software...the fact that data merge is not included in the initial version of Publisher suggests that you may not really appreciate the needs of your market.

• Staff
1 minute ago, DanParsons said:

my wife is a software architect

She is welcome to apply for a job here

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
1 hour ago, 001 said:

...that you may not really appreciate the needs of your market....

I am sorry if you see it that way. I personally pinned this thread as I could see lots of people might make a lot of independent threads suggesting this popular feature if I did not. I am trying to manage expectations and that previous post seemed to say "I asked early and you should therefore just do this now." I know we cannot do that and was trying to be honest.

As Head of QA I am personally more interested in knowing what is wrong with what it does do, as I cannot control what has not been implemented yet.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

2 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

I am sorry if you see it that way. I personally pinned this thread as I could see lots of people might make a lot of independent threads suggesting this popular feature if I did not. I am trying to manage expectations and that previous post seemed to say "I asked early and you should therefore just do this now." I know we cannot do that and was trying to be honest.

As Head of QA I am personally more interested in knowing what is wrong with what it does do, as I cannot control what has not been implemented yet.

All we are asking is that its made a priority - almost everyone uses personalisation these days so its critical for designers and commercial printers alike

30 minutes ago, DanParsons said:

All we are asking is that its made a priority - almost everyone uses personalisation these days so its critical for designers and commercial printers alike

+1 

Variable data is one of the fastest growing segments of the print world. Now no one is expecting it to be a full featured variable data program but it must be able to do the basics.