Be Da

Language settings

Hallo,

- where could I set a paragraph language?

- can I import a docx text?

- can I import a text with footnotes or endnotes?

- can Publisher do a PROPORTIONAL NONBREAKING SPACE (it is used e.g. in Czech for typesetting a space between single-letter word and another word - "v Praze" [in Prague]).

Thanks.

Jakub

Hi Jakub

Welcome to the forum

You can change the dictionary language as well as other elements in the language section at the bottom of the Character panel

We do not import docx files at this point I'm afraid. We only currently allow you to place text from txt and rtf files

We do not support footnote and endnotes for this initial release

We do support non-breaking spaces you should be able to use the unicode or go to the Text Menu > Insert > Non-breaking space

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi

Is there a possibility how to correctly set hyphenation for czech/slovak/polish language?

Thank you

Martin

iOs: iPad Pro 12,9" 1st gen., Apple pencil; Mac: Affinity Photo & Designer and really looking forward to Affinity Publisher

Curious on the Dictionaries for languages/spell checking if you will have both a British English as well as American? While our company is in the US, we do a lot of work in the UK, so do need to be able to spell check for each. Thanks.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) • Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB • macOS Mojave

12 hours ago, nwhit said:

Curious on the Dictionaries for languages/spell checking if you will have both a British English as well as American? While our company is in the US, we do a lot of work in the UK, so do need to be able to spell check for each. Thanks.

On Mac we use the operating system's spell checker, which usually includes both versions of English. On Windows we use Hunspell, and we include spelling dictionaries for both.

9 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

On Mac we use the operating system's spell checker, which usually includes both versions of English. On Windows we use Hunspell, and we include spelling dictionaries for both.

On the Mac, I have both UK and US English available in the System Prefs, with US set as default. But when in APub in the Character panel, the drop-down for languages only shows English. How then do I switch back and forth? Do I need to change the entire computer, then APub?

If that's the case, it would be much, much better if we could keep the entire computer system on our main language for all other apps, but change just APub when working on UK projects.

Thanks. 

--------------------

Interestingly, in playing with the Sample document (Affinity Brochure), it is using a UK dictionary for spell check. But in a new document I created, it is using American English. And I can't see how to specify which one I want for the document.

--------------------

You can specify language in the Language section of the Character panel.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.502 Beta

22 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You can specify language in the Language section of the Character panel.

Yes, you can select English, but it does not allow a change between US and UK English, which is very important document to document for multi-national companies.

As per Dave's post above, they are using the Mac's built-in dictionary, but on the Mac you can select your language and enable others. But there does not appear to be a way to do that from within APub. Wouldn't be very practical to switch the Mac over to UK English just to work on an APub document, but then need to switch back every time you did an email or worked in any other app. 

Really needs to be selectable within APub and apply to/stick with individual docs. As per my previous post, right now it appears that the dictionary is tied to whatever was selected within the OS when the document was created. That wouldn't be usable under most working conditions.

--------------------

3 minutes ago, nwhit said:

Yes, you can select English, but it does not allow a change between US and UK English, which is very important document to document for multi-national companies.

The Language part of the Character panel allows language changes on Windows. If it doesn't on Mac that's perhaps a Mac-specific bug.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.502 Beta

Do you have a choice within APub between US and UK English on windows?

--------------------

6 minutes ago, nwhit said:

Do you have a choice within APub between US and UK English on windows?

For the UI language in Preferences, no. For the Character panel language for text within a document, yes.

-- Walt

Then this must be a bug in the Mac version of APub.

In Mac, in the Prefs you can't even change the language at all (greyed out/non-functioning). And in the Character panel, only one form of English is available.

Hopefully they get this fixed. Going to be very tough to use if we can't set the language for the document. Very tiny docs can be manually spell-checked, but larger pubs need correct spell-check.

Thanks for checking it in the other version.

--------------------

12 hours ago, nwhit said:

And in the Character panel, only one form of English is available.

Hmmm. On my iMac there are two: 442761654_characterpanellanguage.jpg.15e55abfb20b2c52bb45a4e9bbbd6aee.jpg

In System Preferences > Languages & Region, I have set "English (U.S.)" as my primary "preferred" language but also added "English (U.K.)" to the Preferred languages list. Maybe that has something to do with the difference?

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

I assume, it depends on your system’s language settings (Preferences/Language & Regions)

Interesting enough: I am missing American English too, but it is listed in „Hyphenation“.

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

Hmmm. On my iMac there are two: 442761654_characterpanellanguage.jpg.15e55abfb20b2c52bb45a4e9bbbd6aee.jpg

In System Preferences > Languages & Region, I have set "English (U.S.)" as my primary "preferred" language but also added "English (U.K.)" to the Preferred languages list. Maybe that has something to do with the difference?

Interesting. I have the same settings but do not get the English UK showing in APub. Have restarted APub a few times. Not sure if I need to restart the iMac, but wouldn't think so. But at least I see that it works. Not sure why it doesn't for me.

--------------------

Definite problem. I restarted my computer but still cannot see anything other than English, a single selection. I even tried to set UK English as the computer's default and still only get the single English option within APub.

And as mentioned before, in the APub prefs, the language is greyed out and cannot be changed. In checking APhoto, it is changeable there, so must be a problem with APub.

962353596_ScreenShot2018-09-01at10_20_53AM.png.4a4a0a741503262c2d70659e4387c6b0.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 10.20.53 AM.png

--------------------

I even deleted the beta app and reinstalled. Still no UK dictionary. Checked the Mac Dictionary app and it shows both US and UK dictionaries.

--------------------

2 hours ago, nwhit said:

And as mentioned before, in the APub prefs, the language is greyed out and cannot be changed. In checking APhoto, it is changeable there, so must be a problem with APub.

It is not as easy to find as I think it should be but the staff have mentioned several times (like here) that they are intentionally running an English only UI for the first beta, which is why in its prefs the language choice is greyed out.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2