You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Language settings

23 minutes ago, Nivrot said:

I just want to change the document language. I would prefer to having a simple, overall Language selector (Text>Spelling>Spelling Options).

Feel free to create a Feature Request :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 hours ago, Nivrot said:

I still think this is too complicated -  with styles (?) and multiple languages per sentence.

It is way to detailed in my view. I just want to change the document language. I would prefer to having a simple, overall Language selector (Text>Spelling>Spelling Options).

I can understand how you would feel that way in for your needs, but there are multiple occasions where we quote from more than one language in a single paragraph. There is also the need to apply "Language: None" to specific text for more effective use of the spellcheck system. That is why language of a text is a character-level attribute. By the way, this is also how it is done in InDesign and even MS Word, just to give a couple of common examples.

I just wanted to add my comment here.  Until I saw this topic I had never understood why, despite setting my language as UK English, the spell check worked on the US flavour (with a 'u' of course!!).  Now at least I know how to change this but it's very cumbersome (and I'm not a power user). 

I get that some documents will have paragraphs (or even sentences) with different languages - so putting Language under Character has some use.  However, I don't understand why I would have to go into each Style that I've used in a document and change US English to UK English, and do this for every document.  When I've selected UK English under Preferences surely that should set the default for each text style in each new document to UK English (rather than the US version it now imposes on me). 

This feels like a bug to me - that the default for text styles in new documents isn't inherited from the Preferences language - but if it is working as designed then it seems extremely unusual design. 

Clive

On 6/16/2020 at 4:43 PM, garrettm30 said:

By the way, this is also how it is done in InDesign and even MS Word, just to give a couple of common examples.

Hi Garrett,

No, not in the versions I have:

InDesign language settings are under the top menu bar: InDesign > Preferences > Dictionary (and Autocorrect)
MS Word (for Mac at least) are under the top menu bar: Tools > Language.

Both of these places are logical to me since the reason for selecting a language is the spell check/dictionary featureIt is a Dictionary Preference and a Dictionary is also a Tool.
At gunpoint I understand the benefit of having Language under Character, considering letters are the building blocks of written language and are language specific.

I still believe the PRIMARY document language belongs at a much higher level (cross document, permanent, inheritable). It is like the voice and soul of the document, not nuts and bolts.
Any additional, deviant language requirements for specific sentences or letters can still be done under Character.

Selecting document language under Text>Spelling>Spelling Options is logical and would cater for the 95% of use cases, wild guess. 
And it does not exclude having it under Character too.

Thanks for the exchange and help.
I am out of breath.
Must rest.

21 hours ago, Nivrot said:

InDesign language settings are under the top menu bar: InDesign > Preferences > Dictionary (and Autocorrect)
MS Word (for Mac at least) are under the top menu bar: Tools > Language.

Both of those are true, but the point is that it is still a character-level setting. Take Word, for instance. If you change the language using the command you have cited, it will change the language only for the portion of the text that is selected, or only at the current insertion point if no text is selected. It is not a document-wide setting.

I'm sure they could consider adding an additional location for the language setting if that is what you are suggesting, but it would have to be made clear that it is a character-level setting. In Word's case, it seems to confuse some people, as though they think they are setting the language of the whole document when they are not. Of course, that location is fine once you learn how the software works—and likewise Publisher.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.