You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Language settings

Hallo,

- where could I set a paragraph language?

- can I import a docx text?

- can I import a text with footnotes or endnotes?

- can Publisher do a PROPORTIONAL NONBREAKING SPACE (it is used e.g. in Czech for typesetting a space between single-letter word and another word - "v Praze" [in Prague]).

Thanks.

Jakub

Hi Jakub

Welcome to the forum

You can change the dictionary language as well as other elements in the language section at the bottom of the Character panel

We do not import docx files at this point I'm afraid. We only currently allow you to place text from txt and rtf files

We do not support footnote and endnotes for this initial release

We do support non-breaking spaces you should be able to use the unicode or go to the Text Menu > Insert > Non-breaking space

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Curious on the Dictionaries for languages/spell checking if you will have both a British English as well as American? While our company is in the US, we do a lot of work in the UK, so do need to be able to spell check for each. Thanks.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

12 hours ago, nwhit said:

Curious on the Dictionaries for languages/spell checking if you will have both a British English as well as American? While our company is in the US, we do a lot of work in the UK, so do need to be able to spell check for each. Thanks.

On Mac we use the operating system's spell checker, which usually includes both versions of English. On Windows we use Hunspell, and we include spelling dictionaries for both.

9 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

On Mac we use the operating system's spell checker, which usually includes both versions of English. On Windows we use Hunspell, and we include spelling dictionaries for both.

On the Mac, I have both UK and US English available in the System Prefs, with US set as default. But when in APub in the Character panel, the drop-down for languages only shows English. How then do I switch back and forth? Do I need to change the entire computer, then APub?

If that's the case, it would be much, much better if we could keep the entire computer system on our main language for all other apps, but change just APub when working on UK projects.

Thanks. 

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

Interestingly, in playing with the Sample document (Affinity Brochure), it is using a UK dictionary for spell check. But in a new document I created, it is using American English. And I can't see how to specify which one I want for the document.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

You can specify language in the Language section of the Character panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

22 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You can specify language in the Language section of the Character panel.

Yes, you can select English, but it does not allow a change between US and UK English, which is very important document to document for multi-national companies.

As per Dave's post above, they are using the Mac's built-in dictionary, but on the Mac you can select your language and enable others. But there does not appear to be a way to do that from within APub. Wouldn't be very practical to switch the Mac over to UK English just to work on an APub document, but then need to switch back every time you did an email or worked in any other app. 

Really needs to be selectable within APub and apply to/stick with individual docs. As per my previous post, right now it appears that the dictionary is tied to whatever was selected within the OS when the document was created. That wouldn't be usable under most working conditions.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

3 minutes ago, nwhit said:

Yes, you can select English, but it does not allow a change between US and UK English, which is very important document to document for multi-national companies.

The Language part of the Character panel allows language changes on Windows. If it doesn't on Mac that's perhaps a Mac-specific bug.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Do you have a choice within APub between US and UK English on windows?

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

6 minutes ago, nwhit said:

Do you have a choice within APub between US and UK English on windows?

For the UI language in Preferences, no. For the Character panel language for text within a document, yes.

-- Walt
PC:

Then this must be a bug in the Mac version of APub.

In Mac, in the Prefs you can't even change the language at all (greyed out/non-functioning). And in the Character panel, only one form of English is available.

Hopefully they get this fixed. Going to be very tough to use if we can't set the language for the document. Very tiny docs can be manually spell-checked, but larger pubs need correct spell-check.

Thanks for checking it in the other version.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

12 hours ago, nwhit said:

And in the Character panel, only one form of English is available.

Hmmm. On my iMac there are two: 442761654_characterpanellanguage.jpg.15e55abfb20b2c52bb45a4e9bbbd6aee.jpg

In System Preferences > Languages & Region, I have set "English (U.S.)" as my primary "preferred" language but also added "English (U.K.)" to the Preferred languages list. Maybe that has something to do with the difference?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

Hmmm. On my iMac there are two: 442761654_characterpanellanguage.jpg.15e55abfb20b2c52bb45a4e9bbbd6aee.jpg

In System Preferences > Languages & Region, I have set "English (U.S.)" as my primary "preferred" language but also added "English (U.K.)" to the Preferred languages list. Maybe that has something to do with the difference?

Interesting. I have the same settings but do not get the English UK showing in APub. Have restarted APub a few times. Not sure if I need to restart the iMac, but wouldn't think so. But at least I see that it works. Not sure why it doesn't for me.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

Definite problem. I restarted my computer but still cannot see anything other than English, a single selection. I even tried to set UK English as the computer's default and still only get the single English option within APub.

And as mentioned before, in the APub prefs, the language is greyed out and cannot be changed. In checking APhoto, it is changeable there, so must be a problem with APub.

962353596_ScreenShot2018-09-01at10_20_53AM.png.4a4a0a741503262c2d70659e4387c6b0.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 10.20.53 AM.png

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

I even deleted the beta app and reinstalled. Still no UK dictionary. Checked the Mac Dictionary app and it shows both US and UK dictionaries.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

2 hours ago, nwhit said:

And as mentioned before, in the APub prefs, the language is greyed out and cannot be changed. In checking APhoto, it is changeable there, so must be a problem with APub.

It is not as easy to find as I think it should be but the staff have mentioned several times (like here) that they are intentionally running an English only UI for the first beta, which is why in its prefs the language choice is greyed out.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...

Is there a way to change the language document-wide? My graphic designer is in Germany, so when I input any of his files, I have to manually change the language to English in each of the text blocks. I know there are workarounds, but  being able to change all of the blocks in a document would be easiest for me.

43 minutes ago, APEGamer said:

Is there a way to change the language document-wide? My graphic designer is in Germany, so when I input any of his files, I have to manually change the language to English in each of the text blocks. I know there are workarounds, but  being able to change all of the blocks in a document would be easiest for me.

If the creator of the document used Text Styles to set up everything (as is recommended), then just change the language in the Text Styles and it's changed for everything that uses them.

But regardless of what language their application UI is set to, if they're writing in English they should have specified English when setting up the text blocks. If they didn't, that's something you should discuss with them.

-- Walt
PC:

Hi

I find it such a weird place to locate document Language - under CHARACTER.
Language is a major league setting, not just some typeface sub-choice. 
OK, many letters are language specific, but alone they are not language, but used as design elements. Language is neither characters or graphic design, hence I find the location for this function is just off.
(And I am not he only one, it seems.)

Better would be under Text>Spelling>Spelling Options.
Or under File>Document Setup.
(In Preferences there are only the UI languages - I could only select English, though..)

A Help search for "Language" or "Change Language" bears little fruit...
You'll find Spelling, but nothing there about changing what language that does the spellcheck. Only if you know it is under Character will you have any chance.
The Help function leaves a lot to be desired. (At least all UI button and menu TITLES should be showing "clean" hits in the Help search, with a small icon/graphic as it appears on screen.)

Had to search on the web, like with many issues in Affinity.

Pardon the frustration, but I think there is no reason to "innovate" on language selection by putting it deep in the character/typeface tab. 
Normally Language is located somewhere in the top menu.
And I hope the Help function can be improved a bit.

Thank for an otherwise great product.

Ben

Edited by Nivrot

3 hours ago, Nivrot said:

Better would be under Text>Spelling>Spelling Options.
Or under File>Document Setup.

That would not allow for multiple languages in a single document, or even within a single sentence as the current setup allows. That's why it's in the Character panel and in the Text Styles.

If you have a specific language that you will use in most documents, and you use Text Styles, you can define the Base Text Style to use that language and then tell Publisher to save the new style as a default. All the other default text styles provided with Publisher will inherit from Base.

-- Walt
PC:

Hi Walt, thanks for the reply!

I still think this is too complicated -  with styles (?) and multiple languages per sentence.

It is way to detailed in my view. I just want to change the document language. I would prefer to having a simple, overall Language selector (Text>Spelling>Spelling Options).

Then just allow for all that high-tech super expert tuning to work as it is now.

Let the basics be easy, i.e. what we "all" are used to. 

BR, Ben

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.