Arun Sarkar

Inline Graphics & Anchors to objects

22 minutes ago, dominik said:

Hello @quantos,

2 hours ago, quantos said:

I just found this having started using AP in earnest now to produce client documents and reports etc.

I want to kindly point you to the release anouncement found here :)

It explicitly states:
"As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use."

Of course you are free to do so anyway. I just want to make sure that you are aware that you can run into problems. At least if it is not a one shot product that is not needed in the future.

:o When this feature does appear, it will also be something that we will need to make sure it is correctly implemented, and so I really would not recommend doing paid work with it, as you risk us changing our minds about how things need to function and the files not working as you originally designed. We try to avoid this, but during the beta is can happen.

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

3 hours ago, quantos said:

Many kinds of pictures or 'picture boxes' will need to flow with the text to stay useful.

same with tables - the need for this is not limited to just images

Readers of this thread may like to look at the new public beta build #305 on Mac and Windows for our first beta to include inline images. Here is an excerpt from the release notes.

New Features

Pinned Objects for Text
It is now possible to 'pin' objects to a specific location in the text flow. As text is edited and reflows, the object travels with its pin.
To access this feature you can use the 'Float with Text' or 'Inline with Text' buttons on the main toolbar. Further control of the object's placement is available via the 'Pinning Panel' (View > Studio > Pinning)

Please report problems found using this build in the relevant bugs forum and not in this suggestions thread/forum. Thank you for your help improving Affinity Publisher

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

16 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

our first beta to include inline images.

Wow. or as the kids today would say: W

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.2 | Affinity Photo 1.7.2 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.2 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.2.2 | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.2.151 | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.2.458

I didn't expect this one to come for 1.7. This is exciting. I can't play with it yet, but I am intrigued at the "pinned" paradigm. It sounds like this is taking care of both inline and anchored images, which is a rather big deal.

I couldn't resist, so I have played around with pinning. I'm sure I haven't even come close to covering all use cases, but I have at least seen that text wrap works beautifully with pinning in a way where InDesign fails.

In InDesign, text wrap only applies to text lines below the line in which the object is anchored. In this screenshot from InDesign, notice that the line where the image was anchored and the lines above do not respect text wrap:

483377087_ScreenShot2019-04-26at9_45_49AM.png.d3d9613629b5201554ba4fb8fbfc4fc0.png

Pinning in its first appearance in Affinity Publisher beta has no such problem. It works just as one would expect:

74670982_ScreenShot2019-04-26at9_45_35AM.png.b2e3697bc3373272ad3d55245cb6dc63.png

In both of these examples, I anchored/pinned the image at the same place in the text, and I have dragged them to about the same position.

I think this will have important benefits when text reflows so that the image falls to the bottom of a frame. InDesign would bump it up to try to keep it in frame, but then text wrap would fail in the way illustrated above.

Way to go, Affinity!

Secondly, vertical justification of frames that have anchored images and text wrap does not work well in InDesign. I assume it is a challenge to program. Affinity Publisher suffers from the same problem, but it seems that it fails less often and less severely. For example, notice the alignment of the bottom of the columns (vertical justification is activated, though it doesn't look like it):

InDesign fail:

437052940_ScreenShot2019-04-26at9_57_29AM.thumb.png.beda4387daa4995108d5bdde9c63fc47.png

Affinity Publish - pretty close, but not perfect either:

1398606703_ScreenShot2019-04-26at9_58_19AM.thumb.png.505dcaf6b485080f5678d9df587a8d0a.png

I tried resizing the text frame in both programs. The Publisher example is the worst scenario I could find, which as you see is still much better than InDesign. Also, it easier to get the perfect vertical justification in Publisher by nudging the pinned image.

The test files are attached, in case anyone else wants to play with it.

anchored example.indd

pinned example.afpub

slice1.png

When you are using the text tool to enter text and you paste an image from the clipboard, it becomes a child of the text box, but it is not automatically marked as inline, so text goes behind it and it becomes difficult to select.  It should be inlined automatically in this situation.

Also, is there any way to get the pinned image/object to follow the text only vertically or horizontally, and not both?

10 hours ago, fde101 said:

When you are using the text tool to enter text and you paste an image from the clipboard, it becomes a child of the text box, but it is not automatically marked as inline, so text goes behind it and it becomes difficult to select.  It should be inlined automatically in this situation.

Also, is there any way to get the pinned image/object to follow the text only vertically or horizontally, and not both?

I don't think there's a universal rule for whether pasted objects should be inline or floating. Both can make sense. Publisher will pick whatever you have set as the default, which is whatever you used last. You can also change the default by using the Pinning panel with nothing selected. If Publisher gets it wrong, you can change between floating and inline easily by selecting it and using the buttons on the toolbar.

The Pinning panel in the Studio has lots of options for controlling how floating objects move. For example, if you set Horizontal align to Outside Left of Frame, and Vertical align to Inside Top of Line, then the object will follow the the pin vertically but not horizontally.

Really excellent to see this feature.  However, the terms "Inline" and "Floating" seem to be a bit different (perhaps a bit cleverer) than I was expecting. Can anyone tell me please exactly what AfPub means by each of these terms - many thanks.

I think pinning is like the PagePlus anchoring feature (called anchoring there), thus you can look into the PP PDF manual and read what they tell there about these terms.

Anchoring objects to text
If you're working with text frames you'll probably want to add supporting shapes, pictures, tables, or even nested text frames within your publication's text (artistic or frame text). Such objects can be positioned either in relation to a position in your text (or other page element) or be simply placed inline in your text. In either instance, objects can then move with the text as you add further text content.
In PagePlus, this positioning is controlled by anchoring an object.

Float with text. The object is positioned horizontally and vertically relative to an anchor point. This option is ideal for pictures, pulled quotes, etc.

Position inline as character. The anchored object is placed as a character in the text and aligned in relation to the text that surrounds it. The anchored object flows with the text as before.

Detach from text. The anchored object is disconnected from its anchor point, leaving a normal unanchored object.

PagePlus objects can be anchored to anywhere in your publication text, but the floated object can be positioned in relation to indented text, column, frame, page margin guides, the page itself, or most typically the anchor point in a text frame.For text frames, when the text reflows, the anchor point (and therefore anchored object) reflows with the text. This allows supporting anchored objects to always stay with supporting text as more text is added to the frame.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.1 ◆ OSX El Capitan

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

I think pinning is like the PagePlus anchoring feature (called anchoring there), thus you can look into the PP PDF manual and read what they tell there about these terms.

I came here to thank Affinity for adding this feature, as it appears to have the same functionality as the PagePlus Anchor feature, so for those of us who are hoping to move on from PagePlus 9 and are producing large books it is a very welcome.

However, there appears to be more features in PP than AP, so I've posted a screenshot from PP. It looks like Wrap settings have been replaces by Wrap style editing. What I'm struggling with at the moment is getting the program to remember the Distance from Text settings

PP9 Anchor settings.jpg

Actually the Pinning panel for the Mac beta version isn't really usable and has more prototyping character ...

pin_float.jpg.94ebd1d04cae4598a7ab63f8c010aba7.jpgpin_inline.jpg.d54179497887f21cbaf86371f3db1ecb.jpg

19 minutes ago, hawk said:

@v_kyr The UI style for the dark mode isn't finished. Go to Prefs -> User Interface and change it to Light.

There's already a bug report for this: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/84243-pinning-panel-display-issues-in-dark-mode/

I know, I already posted to that thread before. - However, the actual beta version has also other issues so I wait until a more stable version.

13 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

Publisher will pick whatever you have set as the default, which is whatever you used last.

ok...  I would always expect it to be inline when pasting into text regardless of what I had last used... but that's not the issue.

The problem was that when I did this the first time, it was the first thing I tried - I had not used either mode yet, and the image was pasted in but was not pinned at all - either floating or anchored - so it was not moving with the text.

I see now that it is doing what you indicated, but it wasn't the first time.

13 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

The Pinning panel in the Studio has lots of options for controlling how floating objects move. For example, if you set Horizontal align to Outside Left of Frame, and Vertical align to Inside Top of Line, then the object will follow the the pin vertically but not horizontally.

ok, I see how that works now... it is kind of hard when you can't read the labels of the fields (that issue was posted already on another thread) but I'm good with that one now.

Thank you!

Wow, this looks great guys, except that I can not find any "Pinning Panel" or any help text referring to it and the current version (1.7.0.293 / Windows). Has been tested and removed or am I somehow looking in the wrong place? See grab attached for for full View / Studio UI options... Many thanks.

pinning-panel-where-is-it.jpg

6 minutes ago, quantos said:

except that I can not find any "Pinning Panel" or any help text referring to it and the current version (1.7.0.293 / Windows)

The latest version is now 1.7.0.305 but it is not yet on autoupdate. Follow these links on Mac and Windows the downloads are near the top of those posts

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

On 4/27/2019 at 7:35 PM, fde101 said:

The problem was that when I did this the first time, it was the first thing I tried - I had not used either mode yet, and the image was pasted in but was not pinned at all - either floating or anchored - so it was not moving with the text.

It turns out that this was not quite accurate.

I did a fresh install of Publisher beta on a computer it was not on previously and tried the same thing - I used control+command+shift+4 and captured a random bit of the screen to the clipboard then pasted it into a new text frame in the first new document I created on that computer, without touching any of the Pinning settings or anything.

The image actually was marked as floating.  The problem is that with the image being pinned to a point prior to the insertion point, it was not moving when I started typing, even though it was physically located almost immediately on top of the insertion point, and there was no wrapping in place.  With the focus being in the text box, clicking on the image had no effect as the click was being "eaten" by the text box, making this rather inconvenient to try to fix.

This particular combination of floating (vs. inline), no wrap, and having the picture right on top of the insertion point, is not only incredibly unhelpful, but would also be confusing to someone new to the software, trying it for the first time, and not expecting this behavior.

I think the post-installation default settings and the behavior/interaction of these settings should be carefully reviewed.