Arun Sarkar

Inline Graphics & Anchors to objects

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

For my work, position of the images in regard the page is more important than position in regard of actual text content …

which was not requested by Arun Sarkar here

With my books I create it often happens that graphics, tables and pictures have to be anchored in the running text.

2072737954_Screenshot(4).thumb.png.90756c1ae00d6b82f84a80a7b6f24189.png

If the author makes changes to the text, this can give rise to nasty surprises and the search for the right place in the text becomes disgusting.

For this reason, inserted content must be firmly anchored to the text passage. And if there is no other way, the whole paragraph must be wrapped and continued on the next page. This is also typographically correct.

I hope that the function will be introduced soon in the A-Publisher and also for tables that can automatically wrap at the bottom of the page.

On 3/14/2019 at 6:54 PM, ernie-f said:

With my books I create it often happens that graphics, tables and pictures have to be anchored in the running text.

2072737954_Screenshot(4).thumb.png.90756c1ae00d6b82f84a80a7b6f24189.png

If the author makes changes to the text, this can give rise to nasty surprises and the search for the right place in the text becomes disgusting.

For this reason, inserted content must be firmly anchored to the text passage. And if there is no other way, the whole paragraph must be wrapped and continued on the next page. This is also typographically correct.

I hope that the function will be introduced soon in the A-Publisher and also for tables that can automatically wrap at the bottom of the page.

People need to learn that you cannot cram in every single option of other software wich took 30 years to evolve in a first edition. It takes time to implement these features and test them.

Of course I want a product that has it all in it's first incarnation but this is not realistic.

In other words, how much is Serif willing to implement in the first version and what will roll over to version 2, wich will take time...

Most posts in this forum are about suggestions and so called necessary features and all think it has priority...Do you see the dilemma?! Wich to implement first....?!

On 17. März 2019 at 3:01 PM, Tourmaline said:

Most posts in this forum are about suggestions and so called necessary features and all think it has priority...Do you see the dilemma?! Wich to implement first....?!

This has no benefit, because suggestions are not forbidden here but quite the contrary. Serif called this forum suggestions because they want to get information. 

"People need to learn that you cannot … ”? People only need to die and there is software that was not announced for 2015 and was almost complete when it was launched.

5 hours ago, Tourmaline said:

Most posts in this forum are about suggestions

This makes sense as that is the purpose of the forum.

5 hours ago, Tourmaline said:

so called necessary features and all think it has priority

To them it might be a priority, but that doesn't mean it will be anyone else's priority.

20 hours ago, Tourmaline said:

People need to learn that you cannot cram in every single option of other software wich took 30 years to evolve in a first edition. It takes time to implement these features and test them.

Of course I want a product that has it all in it's first incarnation but this is not realistic.

In other words, how much is Serif willing to implement in the first version and what will roll over to version 2, wich will take time...

We are talking here about professional DTP software. So you can/must also expect professional functions.

The anchoring of graphics is such a function and was e. g. supported by PageStream at the beginning of the 1990s in the first version.
Word, Openoffice and other word processors offer the anchoring of graphics, images and objects and I expect this from a professional DTP program.

Serif showed with PagePlus that they can do that. Why are such functions not planned and implemented right from the start?
As a professional I need and expect these functions, after all I also like to pay more for good software.

1 hour ago, ernie-f said:

Why are such functions not planned and implemented right from the start?

APub has not even started yet. We are in the period of pre release and the feature set is not finished yet. We've been allowed to take a sneak peak knowing that the application is not finished. So there is no indication that these features are not planned for the first release.

d.

Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 (beta 1.7.3.476)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 (beta 1.7.3.476)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404 (beta 1.7.3.475)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

28 minutes ago, dominik said:

APub has not even started yet.

But 2018 it was very irritating that important functions are still missing after the announced launch of 2015. Serif could have asked users that waited in 2015, 2016 and 2017 for the third app (to start working with the whole suite) what they need.

2 minutes ago, Oval said:

But 2018 it was very irritating that important functions are still missing after the announced launch of 2015. Serif could have asked users that waited in 2015, 2016 and 2017 for the third app (to start working with the whole suite) what they need.

From what I observed over time Serif never did a poll like this. I know they are monitoring this forum and take notes of what get's requested.

I cannot imagine that they are not aware of the lack of anchored objects and they must have good reasons that this is not available, yet. And I am sure they don't do this in order to tease their users ;)

d.

Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 (beta 1.7.3.476)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 (beta 1.7.3.476)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404 (beta 1.7.3.475)

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

12 minutes ago, Oval said:

We appreciate that you and many others here have had to cope with the long wait for Publisher thank you for your continued support and patience through your frustrations .

6 minutes ago, dominik said:

I am sure they don't do this in order to tease their users 

Nope, no teasing. When ready this feature will be with testers almost immediately.

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

14 minutes ago, dominik said:

From what I observed over time Serif never did a poll like this.

We did not say poil. They are doing it with this forum now. A bit late. And to read “This will be a very popular request” does not raise high hopes. Could mean that for another four years we cannot use the suite because a further core function is missing.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Oval said:

We did not say poil. They are doing it with this forum now. A bit late. And to read “This will be a very popular request” does not raise high hopes. Could mean that for another four years we cannot use the suite because a further core function is missing.

I used the word 'poll' because this is what I have not observed. I am not sure if they ever explicitly asked users for what they need because I am not around long enough (thinking of it that way there may have been a poll before I joined the forum that I don't know of ;)).

The existence of the forum and this particular section can be interpreted as proof for an interest by Serif into what Affinity users are requesting, thinking and doing with the software(s).

I, for myself, have decided to use the software in a way that uses the features available. If I need something that is not (yet) there I try to use something else. Your mileage may vary.

Cheers,
d.

Edited by dominik
Typo

3 hours ago, dominik said:

I, for myself, have decided to use the software in a way that uses the features available.

You could repeat the sentence everywhere and it helps nobody that needs the suggested functions. Here it means you cannot use it because “Inline Graphics” (and more) are suggested:

On 30. August 2018 at 11:49 AM, Arun Sarkar said:

Please provide Inline Graphics option in future.

1 hour ago, Oval said:

You could repeat the sentence everywhere and it helps nobody that needs the suggested functions. Here it means you cannot use it because “Inline Graphics” (and more) are suggested:

I wrote 'I, for myself...' because I speak in this regard only for my personal decision.

I am convinced that inline graphics (or anchored objects) are coming sooner than later.

Cheers,
d.

7 minutes ago, dominik said:

I wrote 'I, for myself...' because I speak in this regard only for my personal decision.

I am convinced that inline graphics (or anchored objects) are coming sooner than later.

This is not what Arun Sarkar most likely and we wanted to know here. People are waiting since 2015 and your “sooner than later” is no help.

O.K. guys, I say it how I see the thinks.

Since 2015 I and manny others waiting for a Indesign/Quark replacement. 4 Years of development and the main things for professional DTP aren't iclude. So for what is this dicussion?

If You are happy with the situation is it o.k. But I'm not. I earn with my work money. A-Publisher shell be a professinal tool, but it seems not be so far. The best App they make until is APhoto.

ADesigner lack too, like now the Beta of APublisher.

There is many, many work for the Serif-Team. BTW I don't need Ipad Aps of professional Desktop-Softwares.

On 3/18/2019 at 1:35 PM, Patrick Connor said:

We appreciate that you and many others here have had to cope with the long wait for Publisher thank you for your continued support and patience through your frustrations .

Nope, no teasing. When ready this feature will be with testers almost immediately.

See, as I stated above, just a matter of time and patience...They can't do all at once...

On 3/18/2019 at 8:18 PM, ernie-f said:

O.K. guys, I say it how I see the thinks.

Since 2015 I and manny others waiting for a Indesign/Quark replacement. 4 Years of development and the main things for professional DTP aren't iclude. So for what is this dicussion?

If You are happy with the situation is it o.k. But I'm not. I earn with my work money. A-Publisher shell be a professinal tool, but it seems not be so far. The best App they make until is APhoto.

ADesigner lack too, like now the Beta of APublisher.

There is many, many work for the Serif-Team. BTW I don't need Ipad Aps of professional Desktop-Softwares.

It's not that there are no other tools at your disposal at the moment. It will get there in the end. Indesign wasn't as feature rich in the beginning as it is now. wanting all those features in version 1 is not realistic...Or you have to wait another 1 to 2 years before the launch....

On 3/17/2019 at 8:41 PM, fde101 said:

This makes sense as that is the purpose of the forum.

To them it might be a priority, but that doesn't mean it will be anyone else's priority.

"To them it might be a priority, but that doesn't mean it will be anyone else's priority."

It's up to Serif to determin wich features to implement first...

I am quite sure they will implement the most asked for features but obscure features will have to wait...You can't cram in all features from other software in version 1...

On 3/17/2019 at 6:16 PM, Oval said:

This has no benefit, because suggestions are not forbidden here but quite the contrary. Serf called this forum suggestions because they want to get information. 

"People need to learn that you cannot … ”? People only need to die and there is software that was not announced for 2015 and was almost complete when it was launched.

Almost.....sigh.....So, not complete after all.

50 minutes ago, Tourmaline said:

not complete after all

But you can work with it because it was launched in time with all needed features. We really don’t see when this will happen with APu (another four years to wait?) because the launch was announced for 2015 and very gradually year by year it became clear what would be missing.

+1

I just found this having started using AP in earnest now to produce client documents and reports etc. Many kinds of pictures or 'picture boxes' will need to flow with the text to stay useful. On the other hand, I absolutely love having design/creative tools built into the AP at nearly Affinity Designer levels. Just great - but those lovely little extras will need to go with the flow sometimes!

2 hours ago, quantos said:

I just found this having started using AP in earnest now to produce client documents and reports etc. 

Hello @quantos,

I want to kindly point you to the release anouncement found here :)

It explicitly states:
"As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use."

Of course you are free to do so anyway. I just want to make sure that you are aware that you can run into problems. At least if it is not a one shot product that is not needed in the future.

Cheers,
d.