On 11/7/2018 at 11:07 AM, fde101 said:

I agree, it is very important, depending on what you are designing, and it will definitely be needed for this product to be taken seriously in most circles.

Also:

Better examples of where this might not be happening would probably be packaging labels, posters, greeting cards, cover pages, calendars...  not everyone is constantly designing long documents.

well, dont know why use publisher for smaller documents, when you have AF designer.... Publisher is suited for multi page layout - then flow of elements and tables is essential thing. 

A "Me Too" here. I want to move from PPX9 for producing my next book and I don't think I can do that without the Float with text anchoring feature. It's a software tutorial/manual and getting on for 700 pages.

It's on the roadmap - great :-) - but are we talking over six months? If so, I better stick with PP :-(

I just downloaded 1.7.0.192. No anchored frames yet.

This really should be in the first release.

Even though it is a bit risky, I want to layout a new book using the beta. Without anchored frames, that does not really work.

maybe a view on Quark helps. Since its version 3 back in the 1990ies, you can insert graphic objects in different ways which are all essential for "desktop publishing". In text lines, floating along and even kind of hyphenated, as standalone graphic box where surrounding text is pushed away even with the option to apply a padding, etc. -- This is a basic function that btw also a simple text processor like Word is offering.

So yes, feature badly needed!

The more I think about this, the more I realise it is not something that can be just put on the list. Until it is included this really is a major and quite fundamental design flaw. I definitely want to purchase AfPub when available (it looks set to be an excellent product), but you can not seriously think about asking people to pay money for it if anchored graphics &c are missing. Even for people to seriously try out the Beta, this is a very off-putting omission.

So yes, badly and (I suggest) urgently needed!

+1

Never be the Same Again !
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 - VIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6  - Affinity Designer + Affinity Photo + Affinity Publisher + Snagit 2019 + Camtasia 2018 + Movavi Video Editor Business 15

On 12/12/2018 at 5:30 PM, Keith.M said:

I definitely want to purchase AfPub when available (it looks set to be an excellent product), but you can not seriously think about asking people to pay money for it if anchored graphics &c are missing. Even for people to seriously try out the Beta, this is a very off-putting omission.

You are so very dramatic. Nobody will force anyone to buy the Publisher if it falls short of their expectations or requirements when it becomes available. :)

16 hours ago, Seneca said:

You are so very dramatic. Nobody will force anyone to buy the Publisher if it falls short of their expectations or requirements when it becomes available. :)

Nobody will be forced, but many people have planned to transfer their workflow from PagePlus to AP. When I heard that PP would be withdrawn in favour of AP I put on hold a decision to change publishing programs because I assumed that AP would have the same functionality. I use PP to create a 700+ page book each year and updating it without inline graphics would be a nightmare.

If AP isn't going to have inline graphics, I could have swapped to, and learned, another publishing program at least a year ago. I also bought AP and AD because they would integrate with AP.

I expected that some features might no make the first release - perhaps Indexing or TOCs - but not being able to anchor my illustrations to the text they refer to is a huge ommision.

That's a reason to be dramatic :40_rage:

I do get a bit fed up with being told (elsewhere in these forums) that other software, (such as PagePlus, Indesign etc) took 30 (or whatever) years to develop, while Designer is new. I really don't think I can wait 30 years for Designer to catch up and have some of the basic features that other DTP software has now!

1 hour ago, PaulEC said:

I really don't think I can wait 30 years for Designer to catch up and have some of the basic features that other DTP software has now!

It can be annoying to hear all that. However, it is what it is.

All I can say is that this feature has been asked for so many times that I think the dev team know it's a priority.

3 hours ago, PaulEC said:

don't think I can wait 30 years for Designer to catch up and have some of the basic features that other DTP software

I think you mean Publisher?

Designer is not DTP software.

22 minutes ago, kdog3682 said:

could someone explain the use and benefit of in-line anchors ?

They cause pictures and other objects to move in sync with associated text.  This allows them to stay together if the text is edited or reformatted.

On 1/18/2019 at 1:22 PM, fde101 said:

Publisher yes - this is what this forum is about.

It's really simple - a book I might make would have a few color pages - such as comic art I do or commission for the story - then some internal illustrations - then a parchment background - one I scanned from real parchment BTW and have on hand in case anyone tries to extort me claiming its "Their" parchment...  Looking forward to that and suing back, making sure its in all the online forums, etc.

So we'd have the file = text + cover + 5+ illustrations + special pages + text background.

Something that should fit in several megabytes, even at full resolution.

BUT the current software bloats it to full high rez images multiplied by pages.  So an assembled document is huge and converting it to PDF isn't that much better.  They really need to work this out.  Right now it'd be excellent for "Brochures" of a few pages, a dozen or so at best.  You'd expect high file size for high image transfer.  But horrible memory management for a self-publisher making a book and -gasp- using WSIWYG software to plop in a few images and try to have an idea what the finished product would look like so can submit to printers directly...

5 hours ago, Greengestalt said:

BUT the current software bloats it to full high rez images multiplied by pages.... Right now it'd be excellent for "Brochures" of a few pages, a dozen or so at best.

Are you inbedding your images or linking them? The feature in Page Plus allows illustrations to be stored in the document file or linked to externally, and when PP was only 32 bit this was very useful. However, when it went 64 bit I had no issue leaving illustrations embedded. Memory use was high, but memory is cheap. Don't use a background to every page though.

From what I see in AP, it has the ability to do the same. I haven't tested it in detail because even with a 700 page book with almost as many illustrations, memory use is workable.

What I can't do yet in AP is edit any text with the illustrations continuing to lining up with the parts of the book they refer to.

Linking photos is good.
A function such as Indesign and PagePlus would be better. There you can save the file as a package. All images, graphics and fonts are saved in one folder and the program is told that the location of the images is now in the package folder.
This is useful if, for example, you have to send the typesetting files to an agency, the publisher, etc. If you rename your image folder or move it to another hard drive or uninstall the fonts it will be hard to make everything available for AP again.
I hope the publisher will still get this feature.

PP.jpg

AP.jpg

On 1/18/2019 at 8:22 PM, fde101 said:

Sorry - my bad, but the principle is the same for all the Affinity range! There are some basic features, which a lot of people need and can't wait for years for them to be implemented!

I was one of the original posters pointing out this crazy omission, and I see it is still rumbling on and no sign from Affinity they have heard. Hopefully the design team will have a meeting where they discuss this and see how important it is to the customer and to the future of Affinity. I have been in the computer design game since the early 80's and I am an IT and design consultant, and I can assure you this is a deal breaker. Quite simply, a DTP app that does not have inline Graphics and Tables (something that even the humblest of text editing apps, even the dreadful Word, has) will not be taken seriously. Frankly, a DTP programme without inline graphics is like a car without a steering wheel. When you buy a car you don't expect to have to ask, does it have a steering wheel! You just assume it does.

A newcomer earlier asked what were the benefits of inline graphics. Well imagine this: You have produced a 24 page technical manual with illustrations every 2 or 3 paragraphs. The client asks you to add a new section near the beginning of the document. With inline graphics you just add the paragraphs - done. Without inline graphics you have to go through the whole document dragging the illustrations back into place. Even if you don't make a mistake (unlikely) it will take you hours. This is not a hypothetical example. It just happened to me. But I was using InDesign, so it took a couple of minutes and I knew I was not introducing errors.

So why do I care? Two reasons: 1. I am always glad when something pricks Adobe's bubble and forces them to up their game. InDesign has had no real competition for years and needs a jolt. 2. Now I am semi-retired I do a lot of pro-bono work in our local community. I advise and help set up village magazines, church magazines, charity publications, etc. These outfits cannot afford to take out an Adobe subscription, but something like Affinity Publisher would be affordable. I have already promoted Affinity Designer (and indeed use it myself in preference for Adobe Illustrator) and Affinity have benefited from several sales due to my recommendation. But I cannot at the moment even contemplate recommending AP until it has at least inline graphics and tables.

Affinity, if your publicity about wanting the design community to tell you what they want from Publisher is real, and not marketing hype, then email me and I will help you..

51 minutes ago, captain_slocum said:

no sign from Affinity they have heard

Huh, did you not see the first reply in this thread, or that "Inline Graphics and Anchored objects are on our roadmap", or that the thread is pinned?

Also, they have made a DTP software called PagePlus which I've heard a lot of good things about.

So I think they know it's important, and they know how to implement it.

So why hasn't it been implemented already? Who knows?! Software development is hard! Do you really want to know the gory details of how they're coding it, and what challenges they face? I kinda would – but then that would be taking away time from actually implementing it, so I'm ok with that.

You know it will come. I know it will come. Just be patient. If you can't recommend APub until then, that's fine. It's a major feature that's missing. Is it useless at this point, though? No. I've seen posts throughout this forum from people who are working with it and having success with it. That's why APub was released to the public, especially when there was already a long delay!

AD+AP, Mac 10.9, kbd & mouse, casual user since 2014