Not just graphics but also tables - I produce many 'report' style documents over many pages that contain tables. Without the ability to have tables flow within the text I simply couldn't use AP. Which would be a shame because its the mutts nuts :)

On 10/31/2018 at 10:22 AM, Johannes said:

Had my first real life attempt with publisher today . Would have needed inline graphics.

Inline graphics really should be part of the first release.

59 minutes ago, HenrikM said:

Inline graphics really should be part of the first release.

I would not wager actual money on that, I would love to have them now, their lack is telling. 

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 | Affinity Photo 1.6.7 | Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.337 | Affinity Photo beta 1.7.0.128 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.0.12

9 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I would not wager actual money on that

@HenrikM said that they should be, not that they will be.

I agree with that... inline graphics and tables should have been a "day 1" sort of thing.  Anchors seem like a great idea too but if that takes a bit longer so be it...  inline really should have been there though.

Inline graphics is a very important and necessary feature especially for the first release version.Many people are gonna be disappointed when it is not in the final release version.

However, for those using math formula's and other objects, if you have a font creation program like Font Creator, you can made glyphs of your formulas and create it as a font. I do not know if OpenType is supported in Publishers yet, but when it is you can even create multi color glyphs if you wish.

It is  different when you want a photo or drawing flowing with your text.

If the inline graphics/anchor feature will be implemented as in PagePlus, that would be perfect.

A big "thank you" for the Affinity team. I like Publisher more and more with every update. Keep up the good work!

Chris

I can't think of a single app with a word processor in it that doesn't have inline graphics; the graphic is seen as just another character. It's really easy to implement.

You might wonder, given that I have to have Adobe Creative Cloud anyway for all sorts of reasons, why I care about this. Well, I do a lot of work with communities and education and they can't afford an Adobe CC subscription. When I am trying to set up charitable and not-for profit organisations with a good, cheap, multi-platform, shareable, print based system for newsletters, journals, historical documents, magazines, whatever, there is surprisingly little out there. So come on Affinity, admit you've taken your eye off the ball on this one and put in-line graphics on the agenda - you'll have a winner.

On 11/2/2018 at 10:31 AM, Fixx said:

I use inline graphics about... every second year. No use for it really. YMMV.

Its okay, that means you are not a professional DTP-user. Maybe Word or Pages is enough for you... :)

Anyway, if you make a textbook – particularly for Math – its a must have feature. 

57 minutes ago, vintezis said:

that means you are not a professional DTP-user

No, it just means he does not routinely work on the types of documents that call for them.

If I were putting together a newspaper or a printed newsletter, I wouldn't be using them often if at all.

As you pointed out, a textbook is a good example of a document for which they would be invaluable.

12 hours ago, fde101 said:

No, it just means he does not routinely work on the types of documents that call for them.

If I were putting together a newspaper or a printed newsletter, I wouldn't be using them often if at all.

As you pointed out, a textbook is a good example of a document for which they would be invaluable.

I dont want to argue with you, but I think in a newspaper also needs to use anchored objects. For example when you put a highlighted quote between the texts, you have to use, if you dont want to slip from the related text. Of course you can move it manually always when text is changing, but... you know manually is not professional. :)

2 hours ago, vintezis said:

manually is not professional

Tell that to the people who used to do this using movable type...

Pull quotes are generally positioned based on how they fall on the page, not for where they are within the content, so as long as it stays within the same article it is fine if it moves around a bit.  My expectation would be that these would be added late enough in the process that anchoring shouldn't be too important.

If attention is being drawn to text "inline" that needs to stay in position within the article, that is just a matter of text formatting not of inline/anchored objects.

I suppose it depends on the way you work and the specific organization of the process, but I don't think pull quotes are a good example here.

6 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Tell that to the people who used to do this using movable type...

Pull quotes are generally positioned based on how they fall on the page, not for where they are within the content, so as long as it stays within the same article it is fine if it moves around a bit.  My expectation would be that these would be added late enough in the process that anchoring shouldn't be too important.

If attention is being drawn to text "inline" that needs to stay in position within the article, that is just a matter of text formatting not of inline/anchored objects.

I suppose it depends on the way you work and the specific organization of the process, but I don't think pull quotes are a good example here.

Just for sure: I dont want to fight with you, but the topic is the importance of Inline/Anchored objects. So I think, the fact if you can do something manually, doesnt mean this feature is not important. And one more thing: the text(flow) is always moving and changing, so we need to use inline or anchored objects (almost) always.

2 minutes ago, vintezis said:

the fact if you can do something manually, doesnt mean this feature is not important

I agree, it is very important, depending on what you are designing, and it will definitely be needed for this product to be taken seriously in most circles.

Also:

On 11/2/2018 at 4:45 AM, fde101 said:

inline graphics and tables should have been a "day 1" sort of thing.  Anchors seem like a great idea too but if that takes a bit longer so be it...  inline really should have been there though.

3 minutes ago, vintezis said:

the text(flow) is always moving and changing,

Better examples of where this might not be happening would probably be packaging labels, posters, greeting cards, cover pages, calendars...  not everyone is constantly designing long documents.

7 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Better examples of where this might not be happening would probably be packaging labels, posters, greeting cards, cover pages, calendars...  not everyone is constantly designing long documents.

Of course, but we are talking about a new desktop publishing software, which would be an Indesign alternative. Labels, greeting cards, etc. you can make these in Affinty Designer, so why would I need another software? That's the impact factor: long documents!

7 minutes ago, fde101 said:

That's kind of what Affinity Designer should be for... maybe.

Traditionally Adobe Illustrator has been used for packaging design, but that might be a byproduct of Adobe's pricing, meaning if you had spent 500€ on AI you'd want to use it everywhere to recoup the investment. The same happened with Photoshop, but on an even more absurd scale. The question is, should a vector drawing program be used for packaging design, at all? When you really think about it the right solution seems to be a layout application like InDesign or Quark, with the support of a vector drawing app for graphic elements and a photo editor for bitmap changes. Traditionally this would mean buying the CS Design Suite, or even the Master Suite, clocking you a couple thousand Euros in expenses. It's no surprise Illustrator was shoehorned into doing everything.

Nowadays, with the advent of the CC subscription and the lower priced Affinity suite, should a vector drawing application, be it Illustrator or Affinity Designer, sill be used for packaging design? I'd intellectually say no, it's time to let go of shoehorning apps into doing everything. But the truth is, man is a beast of habits, it's going to take a while for this mind set to change, if it ever does...

22 minutes ago, LCamachoDesign said:

I'd intellectually say no, it's time to let go of shoehorning apps into doing everything.

It's sounds good, but the reality is the following: more and more feature in one software and more and more bugs, and finally everything is mediocore and nothing is special.

E.g. Word was a good text editor anno, but nowadays its just a monster with confuse functions and UI. I dont believe in the AllInOne concept... (but its a bit funny, because im working on iMac :) )

4 hours ago, vintezis said:

I dont believe in the AllInOne concept... (but its a bit funny, because im working on iMac :) )

I got my morning laugh. Thanks.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 | Affinity Photo 1.6.7 | Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.337 | Affinity Photo beta 1.7.0.128 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.0.12

On 11/6/2018 at 7:58 PM, vintezis said:

Its okay, that means you are not a professional DTP-user. Maybe Word or Pages is enough for you... :)

now really... 

Just my 2p, I do a monthly report for a client of mine using Indesign. Its a 32pp document and has over 40 graphs in it.

Each graph spans a single text column.

In the text, quite often there's a comment such as '…as can be seen in the graph below…'.

Now, as usual there's loads of changes to text by various departments and this can mean simple changes to words to entire paragraphs being added and removed.

Anchoring the graphs to the text means that there's less chance of mistakes where '…the chart below…' actually refers to the chart above/opposite or even page when text is changed.

There's lots of features in Indesign I don't use (and I started out using Ventura Publisher and Quark back when it was v2.12) and I'm sure there will be features I don't use in Publisher, but to win users over from Indesign I have to agree that this is a real dealbreaker.

I can say 100% I'll buy Publisher when its released even if it does miss a few things initially as I want to support development of it, but this should be a priority as having to decide which program to use based on the projects layout requirements (which could always change during the project lifespan) defeats the point of moving over to a different software suite completely (I also use Designer and Photo).

Its all going in the right direction though, I'm very impressed so far. :)

On 11/4/2018 at 1:57 PM, Bad_Wolf said:

Inline graphics is a very important and necessary feature especially for the first release version.Many people are gonna be disappointed when it is not in the final release version.

However, for those using math formula's and other objects, if you have a font creation program like Font Creator, you can made glyphs of your formulas and create it as a font. I do not know if OpenType is supported in Publishers yet, but when it is you can even create multi color glyphs if you wish.

It is  different when you want a photo or drawing flowing with your text.

If the inline graphics/anchor feature will be implemented as in PagePlus, that would be perfect.

A big "thank you" for the Affinity team. I like Publisher more and more with every update. Keep up the good work!

Chris

As @Seneca said, the Affinity suite does indeed support OpenType, as any professional graphics application should. Still, I don't think one should be expected to pony up for a Glyphs.app/FontLab/Fontographer/Font Creator license, let alone have to deal with an open source editor like FontForge, just to get around shortcomings of this kind.

I am a type designer myself, and even I would rather not have to have to deal with Glyphs and install yet another font on my system if I only want to add some bespoke ornaments or graphics to a single document. Besides, inline graphics can be more than just simple vector shapes; they can be full-blown vector illustrations (as you should know, even .SVG colour fonts – which I'm not entirely sure whether they are supported by Affinity or not, but I'm leaning on not – have their limitations), bitmaps, etc.

11 hours ago, JGD said:

OpenType is supported in Publishers yet, but when it is you can even create multi color glyphs

OpenType is supported, but color fonts appear not to be (these are not the same thing)

11 hours ago, JGD said:

even .SVG colour fonts – which I'm not entirely sure whether they are supported by Affinity or not

At this point they are not.  Hoping that changes sooner than later, particularly as they are starting to become a bit more readily available, but will see.

Indeed - anchoring graphics and frames to character position or page position, &c is essential.  I just spent quite a while looking for it, because I assumed it must be there somewhere, but it seems not.  I hope it's on the list of forthcoming attractions.  But I am looking forward to the finished product.

22 hours ago, fde101 said:

OpenType is supported, but color fonts appear not to be (these are not the same thing)

At this point they are not.  Hoping that changes sooner than later, particularly as they are starting to become a bit more readily available, but will see.

Likewise. I just saw a presentation at 9ET (our Portuguese “poor man's ATypI” ;) ) this weekend, where a designer from the Adobe type design team showed some demos of not only variable fonts, but also colour SVG fonts. Sure, the latter may be a bit gimmicky, but you can bet on all of them becoming a standard of sorts in the professional design world.