1 minute ago, Greengestalt said:

2 - work out "Mass Drops" of text so we can make a 'text page' like a master page, then drop a text file that might be 30, 70, 120 pages...wham! All the pages are there.  Then we can play with text, add illustrations inline or insert pages with full illustrations.

For now, you can simply create one document page, with a text frame on it, insert all your text into that one frame, and then shift-click the link icon next to the overflow indicator. That will create as many pages, with matching text frames, as needed for all the text.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.243 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.243 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.238 Beta

On 8/31/2018 at 8:50 AM, Fixx said:

The old fashioned way...

But indeed anchored graphics would be a very nice feature (and please not the cludge solution InDesign uses).

What don't you like about how InDesign does it? (Asking purely for academic interest.)

1 hour ago, Dave Harris said:

What don't you like about how InDesign does it? (Asking purely for academic interest.)

I have not used it for ages but I felt it was fiddly. I would work other way round: place image where I want it to be and drag anchor from the graphic to suitable text part (provided there was an anchor "well" in graphic frame... like flow/link arrow in text frame). Thus text/graphic relative position would set.

Possibly I just think that treating anchored graphic as inline graphic is too limiting, or stretching inline idea too far.

@Lance617

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

2 hours ago, Lance617 said:

Flowing anchors are a must. Just copy the code from PagePlus X9.

I hope your tongue is in your cheek it's hard to tell, but yes we should do that ;) (if only it was so easy) 

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

@Lance617

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

I hope your tongue is in your cheek it's hard to tell, but yes we should do that ;) (if only it was so easy) 

Just paste it in, don't worry that the necessary libraries have been deprecated and that the code is in another language. You guys just need more caffeine. [smiley-face emoticon] Trust me.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.12.6

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 | Affinity Photo 1.6.7 | Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.238 | Affinity Photo beta 1.7.0.110 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.0.4

On 9/16/2018 at 5:24 PM, Fixx said:

I have not used it for ages but I felt it was fiddly. I would work other way round: place image where I want it to be and drag anchor from the graphic to suitable text part (provided there was an anchor "well" in graphic frame... like flow/link arrow in text frame). Thus text/graphic relative position would set.

Possibly I just think that treating anchored graphic as inline graphic is too limiting, or stretching inline idea too far.

On second thought, no graphical gimmick is needed for this... just a command "Anchor" and then click text part you want to set the anchor point.

I am quite impressed with the progress shown in Publisher. Inline graphics are something I use all of the time for everything from custom icons needed for operational manuals to full graphic or photographic inserts to demonstrate procedures or samples. Just adding my weight to the discussions already here.

+1. Without it I won't even be buying Publisher v.1.7, as I won't be able to do many of my usual projects in a sensible fashion, sorry. :\

On 8/31/2018 at 8:50 AM, Fixx said:

But indeed anchored graphics would be a very nice feature (and please not the cludge solution InDesign uses).

It is going to be very difficult to come up with something better than inDesign I'm afraid.

Yes, and we need it badly in Publisher.

My next two projects are a graphic novel and a heavily illustrated book. I'd like to use Affinity Publisher for both of them, but that hinges on getting anchored graphics.

I used FrameMaker to write technical documentation, and other things, for several years. With FM, you could produce a document from start to finish with a single tool. What I am hoping for, is to be able to do the same thing in Affinity Publisher. Either that, or seamless integration with a tool like Scrivener.

I understand the first release cannot have everything, but anchored frames, that can hold any other object, pictures, tables, or text, should, I believe, be part of the first release.

I'm teaching in a community college and have dozens of previous versions of quizzes and tests where my equations were imported to Pages from MathType. I would just type out the line, select 'Insert MathType equation' and once I entered the equation got a fairly straightforward output with the equation added to the line like in the picture. I don't tend to use the standard font for MathType (looks Times-ish) and I tried saving my MathType equations as eps/pict (best option I could find in the preferences), then dragging and dropping it into Publisher. When it appears, all the custom font information has gone and I'm given a boring, serif laden version of the equation. Yes, I could use LaTeX, but honestly, tweaking fonts in LaTeX is a screaming pain. Is there plans to put in this sort of inline equation support, or at least the ability to integrate input from outside apps?

Inline equations.png

I second this, but I would love a complete rethinking of how this functionality works. It's barely useable in InDesign, and I'd really enjoy a new take on this feature.

On 9/16/2018 at 9:30 AM, Dave Harris said:

InDesign refuses to honor text wrap when you've anchored an image, plus it's near impossible to anchor things on the start of a verso without coming up with a cheat.

On 10/17/2018 at 11:12 PM, coolieranx said:

InDesign refuses to honor text wrap when you've anchored an image, plus it's near impossible to anchor things on the start of a verso without coming up with a cheat.

Affinity's approach will probably be based on what we did in PagePlus. We did handle text wrap for anchored objects there, even if the object was positioned above its anchor point (which I think is the case that InDesign ignores).

On 10/19/2018 at 12:55 PM, Dave Harris said:

Affinity's approach will probably be based on what we did in PagePlus. We did handle text wrap for anchored objects there, even if the object was positioned above its anchor point (which I think is the case that InDesign ignores).

Having the object positioned above the anchor point was possible in FrameMaker, unless my addled memory confuses wishful thinking with actual experience. A really good thing to have, in any case.

I plan to buy Publisher the day it is released in any case, but publishing non-fiction books will have to wait until anchored frames are supported.

Had my first real life attempt with publisher today . Would have needed inline graphics.

Advertising designer - Austria — Affinity Designer - Photo - Publisher — Cs6 d&wP — Mac Pro (09)12GB - SSD - OS X 10.11.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil