You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

BUG - Placing of .afdesign file

Hi

Firstly, great to finally have the BETA!!!

Just installed and testing out a few things. Placed a .PSD file perfectly.

Strangely, placed a .AFDESIGN file and part of the artwork does not display. It is a logo / branding so I'd rather not share the actual artwork here but I am happy to email directly to Affinity for further investigation.

thanks

Robin

I've investigated further and it is something with how Publisher interprets the Artboard I think. I found the dropdown menu to select 'document' or 'artboard' and choosing document the full artwork appeared. There is only one artboard in the placed file so I'm not sure what's going on here.

Hi robinp

Does your afdesign file have elements that are not actually contained within the artboard objects? If they are not within that specific artboard on the layers panel then they wont show when the artboard is selected in Publisher. If the elements are part of that artboard in the afdesign file but still not being shown when placed would you be able to attach the afdesign file for us to look into?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

1 minute ago, Chris_K said:

would you be able to attach the afdesign file for us to look into?

Hi Chris

I'd rather not put the file on the public forum because it is our company branding. Can I email it direct?

Also, all the artwork is within the artboard in the .afdesign file. The bounding box for the placed file is correct for the artboard but part of the content doesn't show. See screen grabs below.

Robin

1928647348_ScreenShot2018-08-30at10_58_42.png.d9d7761b293c0aca59bee166878dedac.png

1293525571_ScreenShot2018-08-30at10_58_47.png.7ac399bdd4bf8396843c11166d26eca0.png

Thanks for the file. As i suspected, your layer 1 containing the rest of your logo is not actually part of your artboard object. You need to move it from being underneath the artboard to being inside the artboard object to get it to show when you have the artboard selected in Publisher

Sure, OK, thanks. Betraying my lack of knowledge of Designer a bit! I thought you meant it visibly was within the limits of the artboard rather than nested within it in the layer panel. This seems a bit counterintuitive given when exporting a PDF it includes all of the visible artwork.

Anyway, having fixed this in the afdesign file, how do I get Publisher to refresh / update the linked file? I've managed to place the file again and it now shows up as expected but can't find anything for refreshing the original link.

13 minutes ago, robinp said:

That seems to be missing from the menu. As does the 'media browser' which the help docs say should be in the 'view' menu.

Are you sure you are looking at the Document menu for the Publisher beta & not for Affinity Photo? This is what I get for the beta:

1601975226_betadocumentmenu.jpg.94380f220820a26b608fcd87461830f3.jpg

@Chris_K beat me to it!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Still having a few problems.

Having now managed to open the Resource Manager, I can see there are two entries, one for each time I've placed the artwork. All good to that point.

I presume because they are Embedded the Update option is greyed out. That makes sense. So I converted the one that needed updating to Make Linked first. First problems:

• It requires relocating the file (not a huge problem but I'd have thought it would be possible to remember the file location so this is automatic)
  • All files are greyed out making it look like none can be selected (see screen shot). Despite being greyed out, it is possible to select the right file and replace the embedded file with a linked one

All seems good except then it is still displaying incorrectly. So I click the Update button hoping that it will refresh the linked file. Nothing happens.

I then choose Replace instead to see if this resolves it. Also doesn't work.

1016646826_ScreenShot2018-08-30at12_00_06.thumb.png.de943f6e14f0783a7ef3c2efbb4db181.png 

Edited by robinp
forgot to include screen shot

4 minutes ago, robinp said:

Still, a strange bug ...

Very strange indeed because your screenshot is missing the Table menu & the Document menu is to the right of the Text menu instead of to its left.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

More digging on the problem of embedded vs linked as above. Having converted an embedded file into a linked file, when double clicking on it, it opens it up as before. It still says <embedded> in the new edit tab.

Presumably it isn't actually making it into a Linked file.

So I've tried Replacing the embedded file before making it linked and the artwork doesn't change either. When double clicking on it, it still shows the old version of the file without the artwork fully within the artboard object (as per original problem)

I experienced the same issue on the first launch of Affinity Publisher, i.e. it was displaying the Affinity Photo menus... The problem seems to vanish with a simple quit and relaunch however...

AP Menu.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

It seems that some of the bugs are connected to the early issues I had. More testing in a new file and it now largely seems to work as expected when the placed files are placed a fresh. This includes the seamless conversion from embedded to linked without the finder dialogue box. The feature requests above still apply, with the addition of one other:

• When replacing a linked file, it should stay linked rather than defaulting back to being embedded (this is closely connected to the desire for a default behaviour towards linked files over embedded files)

A couple of new issues I have noticed, and perhaps they are connected:

• When an afdesign file has been edited through Publisher when it is embedded, the file is then no longer editable in the current version of Design
  • I think the above may be why the placed file wouldn't update
  • The preference setting that says 'automatically updated linked resources when modified externally' doesn't appear to work

@Chris_K

I have been looking at your replies but as you can expect It's been a bit busy so I've been trying to find the moments to give it the right attention. I'm only really going to address bugs at this point so I shall leave the requests at the moment.

Publisher is 1.7 so any files will not open in 1.6 of any app as it contains elements these apps don't have and understand. 

I see what you mean about the file saying <embedded> when you are editing it after it has been linked. this is because i needs some sort of file name and by default it has always been embedded. Just an oversight and should probably be given a better name like the actual file name when editing to reflect this.

As you above issues seemed to have sorted themselves out I'll have a look at the updating of embedded and linked files and see what I can pull out of this as I would not be surprised if there are more than a few issues here

Cheers

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.