You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Free Beta Available NOW

Hi there

I've just had a quick play with the Publisher beta and it's terrific. I've been using and teaching InDesign since version 1 and my students have always asked about an affordable, "equally-good" alternative to InDesign for layout and design and this looks like it! I'll definitely be demo-ing this in the classroom. 

thanks

Jennifer

I played with it for a day and... Did I said I did not need it in my current workflow? I mean "I didnt knew that I need it" :D There is something about Affinity package - the feeling of smooth, fun, easy interaction. I cant wait to be able to use it with Designer and Photo. When I saw how easy is getting text around complex shapes I was blown away. Only thing I am missing would be export to epub/mobi formats. I wonder if is this planned at all?

I have been playing with APBeta for an hour or so and it already feels comfortably familar in use.

I have worked out that I can open old PDFs of InDesign docs and convert them to native format with a little work setting up the text styles etc. and I am using one of these files as my tester for the program. As it has a fairly complex text layout and many images it should be fun.

I have been (Commercially and Privately) an InDesign user since before it was born (when it was Pagemaker) and I am feeling I will soon be able to say 'ex-user'.

Of course, I am having one or two small problems with some of the things I am used to doing a certain way, but I will learn!

My overall impression so far is that, even in Beta, this is the program I had hoped it would be. At long last a valid and, more importantly, affordable alternative to Adobe's money-pit software.

Congratulations all involved - I've not been so excited about a new program since... well ever really.

• Staff

@BalsallHeathen

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) and thanks for your positive input to this thread

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hello, the beta works surprisingly well. After many tests according to the provided videos no crashes. The handling has to be practiced, but we get that. Thanks for the great work to the publisher. Very beautiful.
Greetings Dieter

Germany, Affinity Photo WIN 1.7 , LR6, WIN10

I wrote yesterday, but now i must write again.
The PDF Import works very well and very good. All i have to do is to convert my .indd Files to PDF,  import them to Publisher and save them as .afpub files. I can edit the PDF Files before i save them, fonts and text styles and formatting will be taken over and much more.
For me and my work it works well. It´s great.
Congratulations for this Software. I´m looking forward to the final Version.
Greetings
Uwe

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

Hi

Do I need to uninstall Pageplus X9 - I cannot get the beta installation to run at all ?

Also could I need to install Direct X first ?

Publisher Beta will not install on Windows 10 Enterprise no matter what I do. Is anybody else experiencing this to ?

Thanks

The first impressions are very pleasant. Developers as always on top!
Did not have time to figure it out. Is it possible to synchronize with turns (two pages per jpeg file)?

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.

Just to add a kudo for you guys in gettting this Beta out now.

It's quite fun, and in what we are coming to recognize as the Affinity way -- clever.

It's pretty possible you'll want to change the default for text pasted into a frame, that at present it overflows downward until the flow button is exercised. This looks messy, and comments here show it can be quite confusing. Better to highlight the flow button to show you have flow to do, no?

But, immedately attractive, this. I get along with InDesign fine, but as with the rest of CS6, security and Microsoft fiddling make its days numbered.

Hello,

First big, big THANKS to all Serif Team!!!! Great job with Publisher!!!!!!

Downloading and installation ran ok.! Also displaying the UI is correct. Testing right now - and it seems also great! Of course, missing visible bleeds, anchoring images etc., that was mentioned in other topics, but as for beta, it's great!!!!!!!

Rubber Band Mode in Pen Tool is great!!!! - off topic, but I'm waiting to implement it in Designer and Photo :17_heart_eyes:9_99_9 please!

More testing soon.... and waiting for the next betas!!!!

All the best!!!!

Affinity Designer & Photo 1.6.5.123, Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.162

Packard Bell EasyNote TK85, Intel i3, 6GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6370M, Windows 10 Home 1809

22 hours ago, narrationsd said:

Just to add a kudo for you guys in gettting this Beta out now.

It's quite fun, and in what we are coming to recognize as the Affinity way -- clever.

It's pretty possible you'll want to change the default for text pasted into a frame, that at present it overflows downward until the flow button is exercised. This looks messy, and comments here show it can be quite confusing. Better to highlight the flow button to show you have flow to do, no?

But, immedately attractive, this. I get along with InDesign fine, but as with the rest of CS6, security and Microsoft fiddling make its days numbered.

I had a look at the excellent pre-review here, and think I'd modify what I'm saying about the overflow: https://creativepro.com/affinity-publisher-first-look/

Apparently you show overflow continuing down the page so we can judge it. I'd still go for this not being the default; that the button highlight so we can see overflow is available to link.

Once clicking to link  perhaps  showing down the page could make some sense -- I would make that presentation an option. And would think it should go away again if the link cursor is released without linking. Then you'd be back to an indicator, not hiding anything that's on the page outside the frame.

It is a bit tricky, yes, appreciated...

5 hours ago, Wosven said:

They don't work with objects placed on the master pages, but if you do it on regular pages it'll be exported in PDF.

Will that get rectified in later update/release??? master pages = good, no bleed output on master pages = not good..

Cheers

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You cannot ask for logs to be generated, but they are generated automatically in subdirectories of %temp%/AffinitySetup

There are

Thanks I attached it. They did give directions elsewhere for generating logs but those directions do not work

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

38 minutes ago, Rick G said:

1.7.0.192 still does not update correctly

Update fails and destroys the current install and is remedies only by rebooting

Setup.log

The SetupUI.log file is usually the one with relevant information, Rick.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The SetupUI.log file is usually the one with relevant information, Rick.

I grabbed the wrong one. Thank you

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, AlanPC said:

Erm.. just went to use my install, it says it's 'expired', that I should download a newer one, but that just dumps me on a purchase page?

So now I have to pay for it?

In a word, yes! The public beta phase has finished and the app has been released to retail, so any new beta versions will be customer betas only.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)