You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Free Beta Available NOW

And grabbed!

Though unlike with Photo and Designer, which I had previous experience with using PS and (a tiny bit of) Illustrator, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing here. I might watch some InDesign tutorials, and see if I can replicate what I learn here.

It'd be a great way to beta test too, since I'll be stumbling through everything, and will likely end up doing something wrong over and over again. :P

edit: just found the tutorialswhich should also help out Mr. Schülke above.

A TRIUMPHANT TRIUMVIRATE OF PROGRAMS  - effin well done Affinity!!

9 years on Quark Express - at least same again on InDesign - first glance, this publishing program looks best yet by a long way.

Except for all the legacy LR files, I will soon be able to leave Adobe for good with no regrets.

Tom,

https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/publisher/desktop/
But if you start the application there's a image link too in the popup window. ;)

And a question to the devs:
I understand this is beta, but will the file format change before the final?
I would like to start fiddling with this, but not have to redo all the work later on ;)

cheers!

rob

p.s. Watched the videos, love the app already :)

Windows 11 - 23H2 ⊕ ASUS PRIME X670E-Pro ⊕ AMD Ryzen 9-7900X ⊕ Arctic Liquid Cooler II ⊕ 64GB RAM ⊕ OS SSD Samsung 980Pro 2Tb ⊕ Cache SSD Samsung 870 EVO 1Tb ⊕ Video HD WD Blue 4Tb ⊕ Geforce RTX 3060 12Gb ⊕ BenQ SW270C ⊕ Dell U2412M ⊕ Affinity Photo 2.3.x ⊕ Affinity Designer 2.3.x ⊕ Affinity Publisher 2.3.x

• Staff
4 hours ago, RobWu said:

but will the file format change before the final?

Quite possiblly yes. This beta is NOT something we would recommend you doing mission critical work in. Where possible we would try to make it load existing .afpub files but I can imagine we may still have to change something that will lead to some files not loading "correctly" as they did in the previous build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Gotcha!

Will keep the testing for... well... testing ;)

But it's great to see it finally " in the wild"  so to speak :D

rob

Windows 11 - 23H2 ⊕ ASUS PRIME X670E-Pro ⊕ AMD Ryzen 9-7900X ⊕ Arctic Liquid Cooler II ⊕ 64GB RAM ⊕ OS SSD Samsung 980Pro 2Tb ⊕ Cache SSD Samsung 870 EVO 1Tb ⊕ Video HD WD Blue 4Tb ⊕ Geforce RTX 3060 12Gb ⊕ BenQ SW270C ⊕ Dell U2412M ⊕ Affinity Photo 2.3.x ⊕ Affinity Designer 2.3.x ⊕ Affinity Publisher 2.3.x

11 minutes ago, Tom Schülke said:

Thanks Renziatic... 

i just found it too....     to read and not to jump right to the downloadbutton would have been easier...  

That's about what I did too. The moment I saw it Publisher was finally available, I rushed through to get to the download. Ended up stumbling on the tutorial link from the splash screen the 2nd time I loaded it up.

• Staff

@vaultdweller

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. You may have to use them in parallel for a while, but you are not certainly not alone.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Sorry have asked elsewhere but cannot find it at the moment. I cannot see how to fill an ellipse with text only to follow the path of the ellipse.  Is there a way to fill a shape such as an ellipse with text?  In PagePlus I could just convert a shape to a text box.  Is this something I am missing in Affinity Publisher or are we limited to just a rectangular text box?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800 X. Nvidia GeForce RTX3060 64Gb Ram
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3235) Home
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for iPad Pro 10.5  • iPad OS 17.3.1

Thank you guys and gals. It looks amazing! I shall play with it all afternoon.

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)

One important Question for me...  
At the moment, Publisher doesnt seem to import and export Indesign Documents    While this is unimportant when i work on my own, my company has to deal with external experts in various areas and we sometimes have cooperations with them.  So in some cases we give them our indesign documents to further finetune them and to add further information to our architectural plans. 

Will this work in the future ?  Will we have import end export functionality to indesign ?

Perfect installation... first impressions of the bat.. VERY IMPRESSIVE!!! Very impressive indeed! Looks like everything that's needed (at least for my intended workflow is there!)

I can't wait to buy it when the retail version is released!.. I totally love everything I've see so far!!!! awesome work guys!

Just one thing that does come to mind if Affinity were to create a Pro - Prepress biased PDF tool  then I'd be able to be completely rid of Adobe.. I have not found any other PDF tool that comes close to Acrobat.. :(

Cheers guys!!!