You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Free Beta Available NOW

This looks like final piece of the ultimate CC graphic design killer. This is a truly robust beta effort.

Hoping the tutorials keep coming with progressively deep drills into the features.

Oh, the things I can do with an extra $600 per year!

Great job. Thanks.

Now back to playing around before taking Publisher for a serious spin.

Just to say 'thank you' for the Beta, I have had a quick look at it, anything that I can get started on without a manual is always a winner for me! Very happy with the interface, etc., time to redesign my calling cards.... and then watching the tutorials.

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album

Just wanted to say how glad I am to see Publisher making its beta debut. The interface looks great and after using it for a couple of hours this morning, it seems relatively stable as well on my Mac using Sierra.

Are there any plans for adding an import function for Quark or InDesign doc types? (maybe it's already there and I haven't discovered it yet).

My BOOK (created with Publisher, Designer & Photo):
Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way)

My WEBSITE (also developed using Affinity apps):
www.RolandK.ca — "Relentless adventures in self-expression"

[Power Mac & Intel PC (HighSierra/Monterey/Win 10]

Been wishing for a good 'Publisher' Application for Mac for a long time and so glad I waited for Affinity to present this excellent Beta version.

Having watched all the videos I am completely blown away by the possibilities Affinity Publisher will offer.

Thanks for all your hard work guys and gals. I am confident enough to pay now, via MAS or direct to the Affinity Store, for both the Mac and iPad versions.

Very best wishes,

G

This is absolutely lovely software in the making.  I have had a bit of a learning curve, but the tutorials are worth their weight in gold. I am amazed at the wonderful things the developers have thought of!  The online HELP is also right there where I need it.   And for all of us book writers who have saved our books in PDF, fed up with InDesign and thoroughly discouraged about not being able to edit them with anything else, there is WONDERFUL news.  I just imported a PDF of one of my books, and it turned up as beautifully as could be, recognizing every type face and every photograph, plus the format for every illustration and text wrap, and it is EDITABLE!!!!!!!!

I had an unexplained crash while trying to do something entirely different, but that is entirely to be expected.  The report duly went off to Serif.

So thrilled that this has arrived!!   Just wish that the document setup measurement options included measurements in picas.  It is a wee bit unnerving to have a page that is 792 points long rather than 66 picas.  However, I have made myself a conversion chart.  36 picas= 432 points, 42 picas = 504 points, etc. etc. etc.

Thank you, thank you!! 

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Bravo to the Affinity team!

Just started playing with it and no problems yet (except, coming from InDesign,  figuring out how to use it).

Looks very good.

Will there be documentation in PDF form? I've looked at some of the tutorials but they often skip over explaining some of the menu options that are presented in a dialog box. 

• Staff
Just now, gordo said:

Will there be documentation in PDF form?

This is unlikely anytime soon, as we have not got any PDF documentation for the range yet, but the help file (F1) will be available online here https://affinity.help 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thank you. :17_heart_eyes:

The wait is finally over and we can start testing it and asking for additional features.

However, I am extremely happy and surprised that a lot of stuff like the Table of Contents and Baselines Grid are part of the initial beta release. This bodes well for the future.

:)

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

Just wish that the document setup measurement options included measurements in picas.  It is a wee bit unnerving to have a page that is 792 points long rather than 66 picas.  However, I have made myself a conversion chart.  36 picas= 432 points, 42 picas = 504 points, etc. etc. etc.

Yes, PLEASE give us the option to specify picas as the default unit of measurement. This is how I've set up every Quark or InDesign doc I've worked on for decades. For example, when I drag a guide out, I want to see that it's at 25p6, not so many hundreds of points. And I almost never work in inches.

Thanks!

• Staff

@Renfield

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

You may wish to add your voice to this Picas thread

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thanks for releasing this beta just when you said you would;I've been eagerly awaiting it. On a quick tour, it looks great, and I'm sure it will only get better and better, especially as it begins to integrate with the other Affinity programs. The video tutorials were very helpful.

One of the things I like about your products is that they have a modern feel with none of the legacy items contained in the Adobe products. They are designed for what they are intended to do and not full of bloat. I used Photoshop for 10 years and only managed to learn about 10% of it. Since using Photo and Designer, I've learned and used most of the program features and intend to do the same with Publisher. And, your forums and customer support is great. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how this program develops. But, meanwhile, it seems very usable as is.

Affinity Photo, V 2.3.1    Affinity Designer, V 2.2 Affinity Publisher, V 2.3.1

Mac Book Air, Sonoma, 14.2.1

@Patrick Connor Thank you Affinity Team for creating a strong graphic design trio competitor to adobe creative cloud. i am going through the tutorials for Publisher and love how simple they all are to follow. This UI is way better than InDesign. I was college for graphic design before you guys were able to launch the retail version of Affinity Designer and Photo. The software classes I was taking didn't help to simplify taking on the adobe creative suite, at least the portion I would be using the most. 

Your UI's are way better organized and I didn't have an artistic heart attack looking at them. Thank you for all your efforts, you are making this creative very happy with your work. I love being a multi-disciplinarian and your software will allow me to do that without UI shock.

Vielen Dank an das Affinity Team.

Für das erste Herumprobieren macht der Publisher einen guten Eindruck. Am Anfang war er etwas zickig, aber mittlerweile klappt das ganz gut.
Für das Erste habe ich eine Musterseite erstellt und ein paar Seiten angelegt. Morgen und am Wochenende werde ich Texte und Grafiken einfügen. :)

12 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

The Affinity Publisher 1.7 free public beta is now available for Mac and Windows.

Please go to the Affinity Publisher page and press the "Download for Free Now" button to add it to an affinity store basket.

Hello @Patrick Connor thanks a lot for this great news ... please wanted to know if you have only that one download server/location provided on the Affinity Store.

I'm asking that because i have experienced two download failure of Affinity Publisher with the message : critical error invalid HTTP response: Forbidden.
Maybe your servers are overloaded with too much download request from everywhere so having a backup link (even dropbox or google drive public share) woudl be of great help for those experiencing the failure.
Will take another try and share my first impressions.

Blessings !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

Well what a treat this is. The program is finally out and that fresh smell of a new thread is in the air. So far, everything seems pretty straight forward. Applying masters, having facing pages, linking text, wrapping text, etc. I have a lot of exploring to do now.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I am loving Publisher!
In very little time after downloading the Beta I used it to recreate all my business letterheads/contracts/forms by intuitive attempts, without looking at any help videos.
I can't tell you how long I've waited for a workable alternative to InDesign.

Thank you and I second the previous poster who asked that you not let yourself be bought by ADOBE.

19 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

The Affinity Publisher 1.7 free public beta is now available for Mac and Windows.

Please go to the Affinity Publisher page and press the "Download for Free Now" button to add it to an affinity store basket.

Wow! Wow!! Wow!!! 

Congratulations Afffinity team.  This release is a stunning.  After watching the tuturial by Ash, it makes one really appreciate the effort that has gone to make this product.  I would encourage everyone to take the time to watch the tutorial before posting questions here as Ash takes his time to go through some really important areas of the app and also answered some good questions.

Matt P and team, well done :D.  Affinity Publisher delivers on the ease of use, measurable performance and precision that we have come to expect from Serif's Affinity product suite.  It's worth all the waiting.  

Do I dare to say that some of the feature we are seeing in AP 1.7 give a glimpse of what's coming to AD and AP 1.7 :15_yum:   

With only about 5 hours time playing with the beta (so far), I am extremely impressed. Then to have the tutorials already available - outstanding. Great work!

Any idea as to the purchase price once it is no longer beta and final product ready. Both Desktop and iOS?

• Staff

@Gerd S

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums :) 

As it is not being served up by the Mac App Store your computer is being super cautious and it will be fine.  If you want to be certain then the MD5 of this file should be 

0F6F17726A219E0B4966B43990C70C06 

(the store should have free MD5 tools). 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.