mariocluster

1.6.5 fails on Windows 10

I'm having installation issues for Affinity designer 1.6.5.123 even if I tryed to go over the steps of "1.6.5 Installation Issues FAQ" at my best. I'm using version 1.6.4 btw (I removed it in order to try to install 1.6.5 and reinstalled after the fail). When i click the  affinity-designer-1.6.5.123.exe nothing happened, just the cursor became circular for  1sec. I sent the log hereby and to dropbox too.

I will wait for news, thanks.

Have you tried this? 

Check for invalid characters in the font paths

1. Locate the following registry key by using Registry Editor:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts
  2. Examine the individual font paths to see whether there are any invalid characters, such as ":." If there are invalid characters, correct them

Try to run this. It makes it a bit easier to look for any timestamps errors as it sorts everything by date. The "wrong" one should be at the top or at the bottom. 

cmd /k dir /OD %WINDIR%\Fonts

I just wanted to add that I'm having exactly the same problem. Same thing happens with both Affinity designer 1.6.5.123 and the new Affinity Publisher Beta. Both installers crash when I try to run them. Log files mention "System.Windows.Media.FontFamily"

I've also tried looking through my font list for discrepancies but I haven't spotted anything obvious.

So I'd be interested to know whether a fix is found. For the time being I'll just carry on with the previous version.

Yes, that fixed it. Affinity Designer has now installed. Thank you so much. I haven't tried the Publisher Beta yet, but I'm hopeful that will be okay too.

Do you know why Avenir Next.ttc was causing the problem?

So, it appears to be an issue with .NET 3.5, more specifically this issue with fonts and invalid timestamps. If you have both .NET 3.5 and .NET 4.7 installed our installer will always use .NET 3.5. However, if you don't have .NET 3.5 installed our app will use .NET 4.7 and the installation will work without any error.

We're going to update our installer so that it uses .NET 4.7 when it detects that you also have .NET 3.5 installed. Until then, users can go to Control Panel > Uninstall a Program > Turn Windows Features on or off to check which versions of .NET they have installed. If you have both .NET 3.5 and .NET 4.7 listed, untick the option for .NET 3.5. Reboot the machine when prompted and then try and install the app again.

3 minutes ago, mariocluster said:

OK, thanks for all the details.  :)

No worries, just happy to know that you've got the app installed and working :)

OT: As a side effect of your help, you just sold your product to a silent reader ;-). Great support/moderation experience! Came here with the question: "Lets get some info about the stability of that program", as its (possibly) poor stability is often the only negative critic you'll find in the internet - Well, now I don't care THAT much anymore, as it seems you will get help and serious bugs will get fixed in a timely manner. Keep it up that way.

3 hours ago, Nicemice said:

OT: As a side effect of your help, you just sold your product to a silent reader ;-). Great support/moderation experience! Came here with the question: "Lets get some info about the stability of that program", as its (possibly) poor stability is often the only negative critic you'll find in the internet - Well, now I don't care THAT much anymore, as it seems you will get help and serious bugs will get fixed in a timely manner. Keep it up that way.

Thank you :-)

19 minutes ago, Adrián Mišiak said:

Is not working. I have installed only .NET 4.7.2 version.
Any other idea?

Win7, SP1,

Do you get any error messages? What behavior are you seeing?

Have you tried the ideas in this post?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta