mccluredave1

Painting Inside Selection Changes Opacity of Brush Strokes

•  

Am I missing something?

1) Create new document from default 1920x1080 72psi transparent backgroud. (This bug happens in all sizes DPI and color spaces)

2) Create a new pixel layer to paint on.

3)Using a default painting brush 4 (Watercolor Type Brush) paint several stokes. Let up mouse and paint over last strokes and notice level of transparency.

4) Use rectangle selection on same layer and use same brush and paint INSIDE selection. NOTICE THE LEVEL OF TRANSPARENCY HAS CHANGED AND IS DARKER. In Corel Painter I paint inside selections all the time. It is absolutely necessary.

This seems like a bug. I used a mouse with no pressure sensitivity for demonstration purposes to rule out tablet issues. Notice opacity differences in attachment.

Thanks 

PaintInsideSelectionBug.png

Hi @mccluredave1,

I'm seeing the same thing and it doesn't look right to me either. If a mod doesn't pick this up and explain it, it would be worth reporting as a bug.

Cheers,

h_d

Affinity Photo 1.6.7, Affinity Designer 1.6.1

Various betas

macOS 10.14

MacBook Air

I noticed in your screenshot that in the context toolbar, wet edges is ticked. Wet edges causes your brush strokes to be kind of like watercolor which has transparency. If you untick wet edges, I think your problem will be solved.

AMD A12-9700P Radeon R7

10 Compute Cores 4C + 6G

12 GB Ram,  AMD R7 Graphics

Like @BobsDaubs said, the effect is caused by "Wet Edges" being enabled. From the help topic Modifying Brushes:

• Wet edges—sets the default 'wet edge' behavior of the brush. Select from the pop-up menu. Check Custom and apply a preset or custom profile, which subtly changes how watery the stroke appears.
    The 'wet edge' behavior builds paint up along the edges of your pixel brush stroke, producing a watercolor effect.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

11 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Like @BobsDaubs said, the effect is caused by "Wet Edges" being enabled. From the help topic Modifying Brushes:

• Wet edges—sets the default 'wet edge' behavior of the brush. Select from the pop-up menu. Check Custom and apply a preset or custom profile, which subtly changes how watery the stroke appears.
    The 'wet edge' behavior builds paint up along the edges of your pixel brush stroke, producing a watercolor effect.

But why does it look different when painted inside a selection, left and right painting are done with the same brush settings

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

10 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

But why does it look different when painted inside a selection, left and right painting are done with the same brush settings

As best I can tell, it has something to do with the Base Texture Mode being set to "Final," as below:

1823218611_textureMode.jpg.c3c2ea84ff4dfa838aeab1598e8ab62d.jpg

That is because when I set the mode to "Nozzle" or "None" on a copy of the brush it doesn't look any different.

But I am not sure why that has anything to do with it. The help topic is not, ...er, ... much help with that:

• Mode—controls how the base texture contributes to the current brush. Select from the pop-up menu.
    • None—the base texture is ignored, so only the brush nozzles are used.
    • Nozzle—allows nozzles to build up brush color onto the base texture depending on flow and opacity response.
    • Final—the density of the base texture is kept constant, with no nozzle flow or opacity response.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

Hi @mccluredave1 :)

Thanks for your report,  I've managed to replicate this bug and have logged the issue with our devs, as well as moved this thread to Bugs on Mac.

7 hours ago, BobsDaubs said:

If you untick wet edges, I think your problem will be solved.

Unfortunately with wet edges unticked, the transparency difference is worse. Interestingly enough this is not a bug that exists on Windows, it is Mac only, so the only workaround I can offer without changing the brush settings currently is to use a Windows machine, which is less than ideal! 

39 minutes ago, R C-R said:

As best I can tell, it has something to do with the Base Texture Mode being set to "Final,"

Nice catch, thanks R C-R. You can change the mode to Nozzle and then drop the brush opacity to around 50% for a very similar effect to the original brush but with lesser texture, this will negate the bug when painting within a selection with this brush.

Thanks for the responses. Painting inside a selection and then turning off the selection and painting with same brush/settings should be exactly the same without tweaking etc. This is definitely a bug. Appears to be on mac only. Turning opacity down works but should be only a temp workaround. The detail of the brush is also affected when you turn down the opacity.

Thanks