You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Refine selection tool

Hi,

I’m Daniele and this si the first time I send a topic to this forum. I’m currently an Affinity Photo user and I’m trying to do a complicated selection.

Here you can see what’s the problem. Is there someone who can help me, please?

In the first image (redi image) is visible the process of refine selection tool. First of all I starter by selecting the building with normal poligonal selection, after that I bugun to redefine the trees with refine selection tool. 

And here the first question: why are there some areas that remains “white faded”? 

In the second image (gray image) you can se the selection done. 

And here the second question: why The tree branches are white? It seems a fog! I suppose I have To do something to improve the selection.. how I can improve the result?

thanks in advance,

Daniele

3C40CB9A-6BF0-407E-A7A4-E6338BACAB2F.jpeg

9B7B0209-A740-4A55-A75A-CE572DF1AB2C.jpeg

4 hours ago, DanieleB76 said:

Is there someone who can help me, please?

Hi

Can you post the original image so I can have a look.

It's very hard to advise without knowing what you started with.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

It looks like you have selected everything? Rather than starting with the building try selecting the lighter sky first with the brush tool. Don't forget to tick the accept after refining selection or you will lose the selection. The lighter reddish areas are usually where some of the background is showing through.

As Toltec suggested, post up the image and someone here will be sure to explain how to get the best result.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

What you have to bear in mind is that the selection tool generates noise and other non-picture related scum when the refine selection is activated. Why it does this I don't know or understand. I avoid using it at all costs and much prefer using other methods to acquire decent selections.

Good luck.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

I turned off the blue channel to increase contrast (makes pic yellow and black). Used magic wand to select sky then refine selection. Invert final selection and export to mask. Turn blue channel back on and here is result.

79AA6ABB-E10A-4095-BCBA-5EB390A5C939.png

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

11 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

What you have to bear in mind is that the selection tool generates noise and other non-picture related scum when the refine selection is activated. Why it does this I don't know or understand. I avoid using it at all costs and much prefer using other methods to acquire decent selections.

I'm sorry, I cannot agree with that, but like all 'automatic' tools, they don't work in every instance. 

I have had some fantastic results selecting fine objects like hair with no "scum" at all. However, the refine edges does need some colour and contrast to work with and a reasonable image resolution. This is just a 'worse case' type picture.

DM1 did an excellent job.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.