You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

radical UI and UX change proposed

Designer is great. But sadly Photo I feel has an incoherent UI and UX. 

This isn't saying Photo lacks features, or things aren't possible with Photo. 

This is saying that the metaphor or philosophy that arranges the many functions in Photo isn't well thought through - sorry to say this, I now loads of work has gone into it.

Some things to think about:

• Findability - make it easy to find things by grouping them logically, context aware presentation of options is also helpful. Currently unrelated stuff is together, and related stuff is far apart in different menu trees.
  • Consistency - see last point about similar things together. But also the UX is inconsistent. Why should I find the drop down menu to rename a pallet when in other places it is a right click because I'm editing a property of a thing. Another example is some tools/filters are non-destructive whilst others are not. Really disorienting and gives a sense of deep unease and poor confidence.

Please don't try to mimic Photoshop - that thing is decades old and there no good reason for emulating it. Beat it by making an app that is intuitive and powerful for newcomers. Your measure of success is how little a manual or online tutorial is needed.

I am not a fan of those personas... yet another layer of context shift, when there should be just one layer of context switching maximum. Context depending on context is not good.

I've previously mentioned Lightzone (not Lightroom) as a simple but powerful app precisely because it allows the user to do powerful editing, in an intuitive way, totally non-destructively, and the effects you can achieve with it would require many many steps in other apps. Lessons can be learned.

• 1 month later...

Personally i have no problem finding menu options and tools in Affinity Photo, allthough i can imagine that there is ample room for improvement. I also use Photoshop CS3 and the age-old, unorderly and unlogical menu setup in there is, allthough i am used to it, way worse than the ones in Affinity. But,...in relation to Lightzone, I noticed I can fairly quickly and easily adjust lightnes-tones in the image that lay very close to eachother, for instance to give more definition to the feathers of a white bird, something i have not been able to do in AffinityPhoto. The Clarity filter does such a thing to a certain extent, but i never seem to be able to get the nice punchy looks ( even not from the lightness channel in Lab-mode) with Affinity Photo. So please can you publish a tutorial where we can learn to do this "lightness-stretching" in Affinity. Thanks. By the way, i am impressed by the high quality and intelligable accessability of the official Affinity Tutorials

IMG_20181022_143129_589.jpg

@keescomm Your post is unrelated to the original topic. Better put it in a separate thread (and not Feature request, but Question).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 8/29/2018 at 6:02 PM, tariq said:

Currently unrelated stuff is together, and related stuff is far apart in different menu trees.

Surely examples would be appropriate.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 3 weeks later...