You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selective Colour Adjustment Problems

Hey,

We tried to use Affinity Photo to create a printing file and somewhere in that process we need to do a selective colour adjustment. We have been doing this in Photoshop before and noticed that we would get a very different outcome when using the same values in the adjustment. I've attached the afphoto-file, the outcome of that ("MöhreMakroTest.tiff") as well as the desired outcome ("M10.tiff").

The values used in the adjustment are

Reds: -100, 25, 75, 0
Yellows: -100, -100, 100, -100
Greens: 50, -100, 50, -25
Cyans: 0, -100, 0, 0
Blues: 0, 0, -100, 0
Magentas: -100, 0, 100, -25

Whites, Blacks and Neutrals remain unchanged.

Also creating Macros is not very well done so far in my opinion. Besides from missing some options to for example delete a recorded step, there seems to be a bug: When setting many adjustment parameters (as done in selective colours) one is not able to view them in the Macro Studio, because there is simply no way to scroll and it gets cut off at the top.

Bonus question: We we're not able to create a spot channel for white highlights and as a workaround set a global white spot colour with overprinting. Does that make any sense?

Oh and a final thing: The tiff-files from Photoshop all were in the range of 50MB, the one we did with Affinity ("MöhreMakroTest.tiff") is way smaller. Any explanations for that?

Any help is very much appreciated, thank you!

Lukas

feinwasserDruck.afphoto

feinwasserDruck.afmacro

M10.tif

MöhreMakroTest.tiff

• Staff

Hi feinwasser :)

If possible, could you attach your .psd file so I can review the differences between files please? 

Although preferable, selective recolouring may not always create the same effect with the same numbers between programs, but I'd like to see both files before I say anything definitively!

17 hours ago, feinwasser said:

When setting many adjustment parameters (as done in selective colours) one is not able to view them in the Macro Studio, because there is simply no way to scroll and it gets cut off at the top.

I've attached a screenshot below, when opening the adjustment parameters I'm shown a long list with a scroll down the right hand side to change each option, do you see something different? (I am using Windows here, I'm unsure of your OS.)

454e45b7cea19668e8ab26cb83daf48e.png

We we're not able to create a spot channel for white highlights and as a workaround set a global white spot colour with overprinting.

AFAIK, this is the correct way of doing this in Affinity, as we don't currently have the same options to create a spot channel from Photoshop but this may change in the future, as this feature's been requested previously, see here - 

The tiff-files from Photoshop all were in the range of 50MB, the one we did with Affinity ("MöhreMakroTest.tiff") is way smaller. Any explanations for that?

Photoshop uses an Uncompressed .tiff format, whereas Affinity offers the newer LZW compressed standard when exporting :) 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hey Dan,

thanks for the comprehensive reply!

We created three files: The Photoshop Action we want to recreate in Affinity, one .psd file where we just did the selective color adjustment and a .afphoto file where we did the same adjustment to different results. I hope you can work with that?

As for the OS: I'm using macOS 10.13.6 and I double checked but there is no scrollbar to be found... with shift+Tab I can move up the little panels where I can put in the values, but it still does not scroll, even when I move above the topmost panel this way.

And the LZW compression ist great news, thanks!

feinwasser-aktionen photoshop.atn

feinwasser.afphoto

feinwasser.psd

• Staff

No problem! Thanks for your files.

I've found a recent bug report with our devs regarding selective colour adjustments, as they don't appear to be consistently creating the correct results when compared to other programs. We're looking into it and hopefully it'll be updated shortly :)

Most of your actions can be replicated in macros, but as you confirmed in your first post there are still some missing actions in comparison. 

Thanks for confirming that, I've replicated the bug on Mac as the UI does not include the same scroll bar as Windows, so I'll be reporting it to our devs to be fixed!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Happy to help! If there's an update available you'll be notified via the Mac App store as with any other application, when new updates go live we post changelists in our News and Information section :) 

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2018 at 1:28 PM, Dan C said:

No problem! Thanks for your files.

I've found a recent bug report with our devs regarding selective colour adjustments, as they don't appear to be consistently creating the correct results when compared to other programs. We're looking into it and hopefully it'll be updated shortly :)

Most of your actions can be replicated in macros, but as you confirmed in your first post there are still some missing actions in comparison. 

Thanks for confirming that, I've replicated the bug on Mac as the UI does not include the same scroll bar as Windows, so I'll be reporting it to our devs to be fixed!

Rather than start a new post, here's what seems to be a related issue...

I'm trying to replicate creation of saturation map as here, using Selective Colour. This:

• Sets absolute mode (relative off)
  • Sets Black at -100 for all colours, red to magenta
  • Sets Black at +100 for white, grey and black

This should result in a b/w image but doesn't do so in my trial. Changing the 'relative' checkbox has no effect.

AP version 1.6.5.123.

~ Dave

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

• Staff

Hi Dave :)

Thanks for your report, this is related to the above and our devs are aware of this issue and are working to repair it. This method shows the adjustment is clearly not working as expected and I will update our devs with this workflow as an example, hopefully it will be patched shortly.

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 6 months later...