You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

move / copy layers from one file to another

• Staff

Hi tersmuse :)

You can use the ctrl/cmd+C and ctrl/cmd+V keyboard shortcuts to copy layers or groups between different Affinity documents, regardless of it being Photo or Designer.

We don't currently have a move option, but I'd certainly agree with dutchshaders suggestion of using assets if you need many repeating instances of the same object throughout multiple documents!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, sumneuron said:

Any progress of this. Why spend time organizing a document into layers when you can't copy paste them between documents

No problem doing just as @Dan C said. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 years later...
21 minutes ago, seaxsun said:

Another unsolved problem

Why is it unsolved?

What it is you are specifically trying to do but cant?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

I am in dire need of help as I cannot copy over data from one document to another in Affinity Photo on my Apple Silicon.

Situation: I have two files. Both have the exact same dimensions. I go to the pixel layer I want to copy and either do select all, then copy, or I right click the layer itself and select copy there (both give the same result).

Then I switch to the other file and paste. What happens now kills me: the layer is copied, however in a very small size. It was resized to maybe 10% or the original size. At first I thought it was just a small nuissance and I could resize to the original size, but no, the image that was copied is resized on the pixel level, making it all blurry when I scale it back.

Is this a bug? Maybe it only appears for large files? Mine are 600dpi CMYK files in A3 size.

I am pretty frustrated by now. I tried all combinations I could think of and just cannot get the layer to be properly copied!!

Hello @jaktrip. Welcome to the forums.

What is the document dpi of your target file? I presume the source file is 600dpi as you have said.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• Staff

Hi @jaktrip,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

So that we can investigate this further, are you able to provide a copy of both Affinity documents here?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

You can use the ctrl/cmd+C and ctrl/cmd+V keyboard shortcuts to copy layers or groups between different Affinity documents, regardless of it being Photo or Designer, says Dan.

Maybe YOU can, Dan. When I tried ctrl/CMD/C, it brought up the crop tool and placed a fibonacci spiral on the document. Just to make sure it didn't copy anyway, I tried the ctrl/cmd/C in the second document. Nothing happened.

3 hours ago, iMacatemyphotoshop said:

When I tried ctrl/CMD/C, it brought up the crop tool and placed a fibonacci spiral on the document.

“Ctrl/Cmd+C” means Ctrl on Windows or Cmd on a Mac, plus C to copy; ditto for “Ctrl/Cmd+V” to paste. I’m not a Mac user, but the online Help tells me that Ctrl+Cmd+V is the default shortcut for ‘Paste FX’, so it comes as no surprise to me that Ctrl+Cmd+C does something rather different than Cmd+C.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is there any reason why there is not a "copy layer" choice in the Layer dropdown window ? This would make things a trillion times easier, also this is like elementary stuff PhotoShop had decades ago that made it so easy and simply to understand. To have a function only available as a macro is entirely insane. What is this some secret "easter egg" function ?

On 8/29/2018 at 2:18 AM, Dan C said:

You can use the ctrl/cmd+C and ctrl/cmd+V keyboard shortcuts to copy layers or groups between different Affinity documents,

This is wrong. Doesn't work. Any more details here ? Its amazing to me that I can not copy layers from on document/canvas to another simply. Is there a manual menu way to do this ? I just get a error sound when I try to use the Macros, so that is not the correct macro. In Photoshop I figured out how to do that in seconds 15 years ago. In Affinity I have spent 2 days throwing things against my wall. Why create a program so unintuitive ? "COPY LAYER" it's simple.

Sorry but in this discussion there is something that escapes me.

For several years and without having read anything I have been able to copy the levels either with keyboard shortcuts or with the right mouse button. I can copy multiple layers, anything that is nested in the layers. I can also copy the FX settings which are pasted under the edit menu or with keyboard shortcut.

I really don't understand what's missing.

1 hour ago, InfaRed said:

I just get a error sound when I try to use the Macros, so that is not the correct macro.

What Macros? "Use the ctrl/cmd+C and ctrl/cmd+V keyboard shortcuts to copy layers or groups between different Affinity documents".

1 hour ago, InfaRed said:

Is there any reason why there is not a "copy layer" choice in the Layer dropdown window ?

Because Copy and Paste are in the Edit Menu. (Just like in most other software!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 hours ago, InfaRed said:

Is there any reason why there is not a "copy layer" choice in the Layer dropdown window ?

I get three: 1 in the main menu "Edit"…

1448956699_copymenu3.jpg.7af94933bc25d543e88d199992cbf023.jpg

… and 2 with right-click on the object(s) or layer(s)

1589409498_copymenu1.jpg.cfa61a59d1957a5efd68af418e476fb5.jpg

406768528_copymenu2.jpg.914c60cc34c475db5cec0e4ffa1b1f3e.jpg

This Copy / Paste works with 1 or more objects or layers selected.

But it does not copy Colour Swatches assigned to objects: document palettes / global swatches don't get transferred this way. Though the object colour is maintained after 'paste', the object is not linked to a swatch any more + may need to re-create the swatch again.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

4 hours ago, InfaRed said:

Yep, because it's not Adobe Photoshop. Isn't that why you think it's wrong? Affinity can do similar things as Photoshop, but does them differently. Since Affinity is a different software, you need to learn it, just like you had to learn Photoshop.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

4 hours ago, InfaRed said:

You mean this? - drop down menu (right click) on the Layer item in Layers Panel.
image.png.3e3abfba6bc2badb235b86eefbe580af.png

The problem is that it only says "Copy" and not "Copy Layer"?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

9 hours ago, InfaRed said:
On 8/29/2018 at 4:18 AM, Dan C said:

You can use the ctrl/cmd+C and ctrl/cmd+V keyboard shortcuts to copy layers or groups between different Affinity documents,

This is wrong. Doesn't work.

It is working fine for me. Are you sure you actually have a layer or group selected when you use the copy keyboard shortcut (or "Copy" from one of the menus)?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yea I swear I used to be able to do it too the way your video shows (but thats really clicking on the image, not the layer) and yes it used to work for me too. But not now.

I highlight layer, try the macros described here and all I get is a error sound (Mac users know what I mean), and when I try to paste, obviously it pastes nothing. So macro not working.

I then try the other method of using "copy", and "paste" and at least then it copies, but it only pastes a blank layer with nothing in it !

That last problem I never had. Let me also explain the only reason I am doing this is to try to move the good things I have left from this canvas over to a blank new start because Affinity (as usual) has bricked this canvas somehow. Its doing goofy stuff, I can't even import a new image like I used to as it doesn't allow me to resize the image once its in. No way to select it, even when I'm selected on it. Plus a few other goofy things. This happens a lot. I have to toss the whole thing and start over. Mainly because I don't know what is going on that I will admit. But like I said, it took me way shorter to learn Photoshop on my own without asking one question. This software is insanely lacking in natural intuitive communication IMO.

18 minutes ago, InfaRed said:

Yea I swear

Interestingly you are the 5th user in this thread who reports problems with use of copy/paste, among 10 users who do not have this problem but try to help.

The really interesting point is that the reporting users 1 – 4 never came back after their first post in this thread – though all seemed to be convinced it would not work, would not be possible or would not exist as feature in Affinity.

Can you make a screen video of the full interface where you try some steps which don't work for you. Ideally for the video you use menus instead of keyboard shortcuts – unless your screencast shows the shortcut keys, too. When using menus in your screen record it does not matter if you demonstrate the main menu or one of the context menus (right-click).

I think, I tend to swear that this would be at this moment of this discussion the most successful way to detect what indeed is going wrong in your app.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thanks @thomaso! Hopefully that video helps. I pretty much know what's going on in a small way. But not being able to use the Macro, that, I have no clue why thats doesn't work as you guys promise it does. But the other thing(s), its like anything else thats overwhelming, I have done something previously in this canvas that I can not reverse, and it caused it to basically be a moot document until I can reverse/delete whatever it is I did. This is very common thing when someone is in a app that they are not savvy with. But I am just frustrated because Affinity has a lot of these possibilities for a rookie user to do. Photoshop didn't.

Affinity is suppose to be the "Photoshop killer". (IMO).

So that thing you see, I know how it began, I just can't delete or know why it stayed. Its some filter/lighting box or something if I remember right. I went too far with it, then couldn't undo it. Now I can not delete it and I think its not allowing me to now do anything to the base layer. As it becomes the selection instead of the image. Which SUCKS. Why can't I delete it ? No where is it a separate thing from the layer to delete in any option I see.

I want to assure you guys, I have made many of this light switch plates already, all in success and all using Affinity. So I am successful at times. Also I know I could easily recreate what you see. But at this point it has become frustration principle. I need to learn how to overcome this in this bricked canvas so I can fix these issues when they come up next time. Plus I need to stop bricking these canvases.

Learning from you guys wtf happened will really help. Thanks !