You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am trying to use Affinity with my colleague who uses Adobe Illustrator (latest version).

He saved a file as an EPS and I tried to open it with Affinity, it was a total disaster.

He then saved it as an AI file and it is not as bad but still does not look the same.

I thought this was supposed to be totally compatible with AI?

Shaun,

I would recommend that your ask your colleague to give you a PDF file. Affinity Designer will open EPS and Illustrator files but in my experience PDF is the best choice in maintaining compatibility with users of other programs. Also, are you using the latest beta or are you using the App Store version? If you are using the App Store version, try the beta (it is free for those who have purchased the App Store version). Just remember that if you save a file in the beta version, you won't be able to open it in the App Store version (all of the betas have been stable for me and I haven't had any problems with it but you might want to make a copy just to be safe). The beta has a lot of added features and improvements. 

Best of luck,

Hokusai

Hi Hokusai,

I am going to try the beta. However if Affinity doesn't work fully with AI files then why does it say so on the website? That's one of the main selling points of this software. If we have to convert everything to PDFs then that's going to be a lot of hassle.

Regards

Shaun

• Staff

Hi Hokusai,

I am going to try the beta. However if Affinity doesn't work fully with AI files then why does it say so on the website? That's one of the main selling points of this software. If we have to convert everything to PDFs then that's going to be a lot of hassle.

Regards

Shaun

Can you post the original AI file as this should give the best result. If we have the file then we can give better advice.