Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I am a 'newby' to Affinity but it has been quite a while since I did any work on DTP. I am in the process of putting together a magazine that has pictures and text. I need to be able to drop a picture on the page and allow the text to flow around it. Not been able to find anything in the tutorials. Am I just being an old fogey or is there something I have missed? Help please!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not wait to the "end of August" when, if we believe what Serif tells us, theh Affinity Publsher beta should appear.

John


Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.8, Designer 1.8 and Publisher 1.8 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PO Scramble said:

text to flow around it

This is not part of any existing Affinity application (APhoto for photo editing, ADesigner for vector drawing). It should, however, be part of the future APublisher application.


Affinity Store: Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 1.8.0.585.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909, Build 18363.720.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

This works with the "Insert sample text" option.

Create the area to contain the text, insert the image in its place. Draw a shape slightly larger than the image and do a Boolean operation "Combine" between the text area and the shape. Insert the example text on the page and replace it with the text that should appear on the page (by typing or pasting it). This text will then bypass the image placed on the page.

While waiting for a dedicated function this "method" can troubleshoot for a small document.

Texte autour forme.png

Texte autour forme_2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, reglico said:

Draw a shape slightly larger than the image and do a Boolean operation "Combine" between the text area and the shape.

Where sholud we draw this slightly larger shape?

John


Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.8, Designer 1.8 and Publisher 1.8 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Sorry, I should have made that clear. Draw this shape around the image and behind it.

Forme.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alternatively, any shape can become a text frame so you can simply draw a shape avoids and runs around the picture then put your text into it by clicking on the 'Frame Text Tool' then clicking on the shape. You can then refine the shape using the normal editing tools, after adding your text, to make the text fit nicely around the shape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
1 hour ago, Dazzler said:

Alternatively, any shape can become a text frame so you can simply draw a shape avoids and runs around the picture then put your text into it by clicking on the 'Frame Text Tool' then clicking on the shape. You can then refine the shape using the normal editing tools, after adding your text, to make the text fit nicely around the shape.

You're right, but for some reason it doesn't always work: sometimes the text goes directly from the top (right) to the bottom (left) of the image, leaving the entire height part of the image without text, either left or right.
The image is then simply placed between two text groups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, reglico said:

You're right, but for some reason it doesn't always work: sometimes the text goes directly from the top (right) to the bottom (left) of the image, leaving the entire height part of the image without text, either left or right.
The image is then simply placed between two text groups.

Could that be down to the font size not allowing the words to fit in the space to the sides of the image? It works fine for me doing some quick tests here with a circle (image area) cut out of a rectangle and then inserting filler text. I can edit the circle using the node tool to distort it without any unexpected results. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
5 hours ago, Dazzler said:

Could that be down to the font size not allowing the words to fit in the space to the sides of the image? It works fine for me doing some quick tests here with a circle (image area) cut out of a rectangle and then inserting filler text. I can edit the circle using the node tool to distort it without any unexpected results. 

No, this problem also happens with a correct font size for the frame size. I just gave it another try and I got that attitude right away.

Texte forme.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.