You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am a 'newby' to Affinity but it has been quite a while since I did any work on DTP. I am in the process of putting together a magazine that has pictures and text. I need to be able to drop a picture on the page and allow the text to flow around it. Not been able to find anything in the tutorials. Am I just being an old fogey or is there something I have missed? Help please!!

Why not wait to the "end of August" when, if we believe what Serif tells us, theh Affinity Publsher beta should appear.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

9 hours ago, PO Scramble said:

text to flow around it

This is not part of any existing Affinity application (APhoto for photo editing, ADesigner for vector drawing). It should, however, be part of the future APublisher application.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

This works with the "Insert sample text" option.

Create the area to contain the text, insert the image in its place. Draw a shape slightly larger than the image and do a Boolean operation "Combine" between the text area and the shape. Insert the example text on the page and replace it with the text that should appear on the page (by typing or pasting it). This text will then bypass the image placed on the page.

While waiting for a dedicated function this "method" can troubleshoot for a small document.

Texte autour forme.png

Texte autour forme_2.png

21 hours ago, reglico said:

Draw a shape slightly larger than the image and do a Boolean operation "Combine" between the text area and the shape.

Where sholud we draw this slightly larger shape?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Alternatively, any shape can become a text frame so you can simply draw a shape avoids and runs around the picture then put your text into it by clicking on the 'Frame Text Tool' then clicking on the shape. You can then refine the shape using the normal editing tools, after adding your text, to make the text fit nicely around the shape.

1 hour ago, Dazzler said:

Alternatively, any shape can become a text frame so you can simply draw a shape avoids and runs around the picture then put your text into it by clicking on the 'Frame Text Tool' then clicking on the shape. You can then refine the shape using the normal editing tools, after adding your text, to make the text fit nicely around the shape.

You're right, but for some reason it doesn't always work: sometimes the text goes directly from the top (right) to the bottom (left) of the image, leaving the entire height part of the image without text, either left or right.
The image is then simply placed between two text groups.

15 hours ago, reglico said:

You're right, but for some reason it doesn't always work: sometimes the text goes directly from the top (right) to the bottom (left) of the image, leaving the entire height part of the image without text, either left or right.
The image is then simply placed between two text groups.

Could that be down to the font size not allowing the words to fit in the space to the sides of the image? It works fine for me doing some quick tests here with a circle (image area) cut out of a rectangle and then inserting filler text. I can edit the circle using the node tool to distort it without any unexpected results. 

5 hours ago, Dazzler said:

Could that be down to the font size not allowing the words to fit in the space to the sides of the image? It works fine for me doing some quick tests here with a circle (image area) cut out of a rectangle and then inserting filler text. I can edit the circle using the node tool to distort it without any unexpected results. 

No, this problem also happens with a correct font size for the frame size. I just gave it another try and I got that attitude right away.

Texte forme.gif