You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Better and consistent UX in all panels.

Hi there,

I think it would be a big step forward for Affinity Designers UX if all panels work in the same way.

Currently, the user needs to open a context menu to rename or delete a color in a palette, style, icon, etc. All these operations should be more directly accessible and it should be possible to apply all commands applicable to a group of panel objects, eg the ability to delete all selected colors.

In my view, this is very important because it is possible to quickly fill panels with objects, for example to import colors from the document. Therefore, it should also be possible to quickly delete unnecessary objects from the panels or edit them differently (move, rename, delete, group, etc.)

For example, layers can be renamed inline. The user can select multiple layers. They can be moved by dragging, they can be reordered, grouped, and they can be deleted all at once. This way, layers can be used in a very structured way. Obviously, the complete functionality is already implemented for the layer panel. 

Why not reuse (or refactor) all other panels containing lists of objects of the same type, so they work similar to layers. This way, the user would be able to structure his palettes, his symbols, and so on.

affinity_panel_context_001.png

affinity_panel_context_002.png

affinity_panel_context_003.png

affinity_panel_context_004.png

affinity_panel_context_005.png

I really hope the UI gets some love in the next round of updates (possibly too late for 1.7, but should definitely be on the cards for 1.8)

I find the functionality of Affinity is great (for my needs) but am regularly frustrated by inconsistencies / limitations of the UI.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

1 hour ago, deeds said:

Care to demonstrate?

I don't understand. First, I'm pretty sure that when I posted that, there were no screenshots in the original post yet. And second, if people are "regularly frustrated by inconsistencies / limitations of the UI," why not list some of those so the developers have some idea of what people are talking about. :)

8 minutes ago, Christoph Daniel said:

I don't understand. First, I'm pretty sure that when I posted that, there were no screenshots in the original post yet. And second, if people are "regularly frustrated by inconsistencies / limitations of the UI," why not list some of those so the developers have some idea of what people are talking about. :)

The original post had one screenshot, now there are five, to illustrate what I am up to. I am pretty sure,  the developers involved in the GUI implementation do understand what I wrote. And I am sure, they also know or are able to find all other panels, where the described problem or condition or exists.

I believe that my suggestion would contribute to a better user experience.