You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I encountered a very weird thing in Affinity Designer. Many times I have text in my designs, and I copy-paste that text when I am creating the HTML files with SublimeText. It works fine with photoshop and illustrator, but for some reason it doesn't work with AD. The proble, is that when I copy text in AD, and then try to paste that text in SublimeText, it doesn't work (doesn't paste the text). It is VERY weird!

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug of some kind?  

Which tool is active when you copy? At the moment, If you select the text with the text tool, we put RTF and plain text on the clipboard, and SublimeText ought to be able to use one of those. However, if you have the text selected with the Move tool, we put SVG on the clipboard instead of text. It may be that Illustrator understands the SVG and SublimeText doesn't. Does it work if you use the Art Text tool?

I have tried this using a trial versions of Sublime Text 2.0.2, and both App Store and beta versions of Affinity Designer. For me it always works, provided only that Designer is still running when you do the paste. (We clear the clipboard on exit to avoid having to render the variety of formats we offer to the clipboard.) However, if our app is closed we won't paste into Illustrator, either, and you say that works. Sublime Text seems to accept plain text from the clipboard, and I can't see why pasting into Sublime Text would fail and then into Illustrator would work. Can you tell us any more about what you are doing?

I doubt it is a bug with SublimeText.

I think that you misunderstood me about Photoshop and Illustrator. I said that when I copy text from Photoshop and Illustrator and I paste it into SublimeText, it works fine. But, when I copy from AD and paste to SublimeText, it doesn't work.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I can paste into TextEdit and Pages. But those programs also support formatting of the text, they are not plain text editors.

I just tested with Brackets too, which is also a text editor like Sublime Text, and it doesn't work in Brackets either. Both SublimeText and Brackets are plain text editors. It seems like the copied text carries some formatting information with it which can not be pasted into these plain text editors. 

• 3 months later...

I'm a new AD user and just hit the same issue. I can confirm that if I copy text from AD, paste into TextEdit, then copy the TextEdit text just pasted, I can then paste into SublimeText just fine. I can also copy paste perfectly well from AD directly into BBEdit (plain text editor). 

I suggest this is a SublimeText issue, not AD. 

• 2 years later...

Hmm, already tested this with AD v1.6 and Sublime Text v3 under OSX El Capitan and it works here. Probably no need to say, that of cause the text in AD has to be marked/selected first before copying over via the clipboard. - It also works here for other editors (emacs, vi etc.), even when used inside a terminal/shell.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
52 minutes ago, usce said:

This is happening to me on Windows 10 also. I can copy text to Affinity Designer but can't copy from it. I don't think its an issue with sublime at all. I tried to copy it anywhere, it won't copy. 

Did you select (highlight) the text characters in the Artistic or Frame text block first? Just selecting the text block without entering text entry mode & selecting some of the text in it probably won't work because it is just copying the Artistic or Frame text block itself, which no other apps besides the Affinity ones can use.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I’ve recorded a screencast to hopefully make the issue more clear.

In short, Affinity Designer seems to copy text as rich text only. TextEdit can paste it, but Sublime expects the plain text part which is missing from the clipboard. It works if copy in AD, paste in TextEdit, copy in TextEdit and then paste in Sublime Text.

17 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Did you select (highlight) the text characters in the Artistic or Frame text block first? Just selecting the text block without entering text entry mode & selecting some of the text in it probably won't work because it is just copying the Artistic or Frame text block itself, which no other apps besides the Affinity ones can use.

Ok, so what do you suggest? I just selected the text, double clicked to enter "edit" mode and then highlighted text, then tried copy/paste but not working.

1 hour ago, hbeier said:

In short, Affinity Designer seems to copy text as rich text only. TextEdit can paste it, but Sublime expects the plain text part which is missing from the clipboard.

From what I can tell, at least in the current macOS High Sierra retail version, even TextEdit copies text as rich text only if TextEdit is set to use the rich text format, so I have no idea why pasting to TexEdit first & then from there into Sublime (which I do not use) works. :S

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

even TextEdit copies text as rich text only if TextEdit is set to use the rich text format

I don‘t think that‘s true. You may test this yourself:

1. Copy some text from Affinity Designer and paste in TextEdit using ⌥⇧⌘V (Paste and Match Style). Nothing will be pasted. This is essentially pasting as plain text.

2. Now paste in TextEdit using ⌘V (the normal Paste). The text will be pasted as rich text.

3. Then, copy the text in TextEdit and paste it back (in TextEdit) using both ⌘V and ⌥⇧⌘V. You will notice they both work fine, as TextEdit sets the clipboard correctly with plain text and rich text versions.

Inspecting the clipboard contents from different apps a while back also indicated that Affinity Designer is not copying things correctly. See that the 4th line is missing the title attribute:

On 4/9/2018 at 11:16 PM, hbeier said:

I am also experiencing this bug for a couple of years now so I've decided to inspect this issue using some clipboard tools.

I may be wrong here, but it seems the clipboard contents when copied from Affinity are missing the title attribute. This was using the text tool with some highlighted text.

5acc1e3d1c65e_ScreenShot2018-04-9at23_08_34.thumb.png.5b3307e92f5fc9b1a2b4895942264a45.png

15 minutes ago, hbeier said:

3. Then, copy the text in TextEdit and paste it back (in TextEdit) using both ⌘V and ⌥⇧⌘V. You will notice they both work fine, as TextEdit sets the clipboard correctly with plain text and rich text versions.

That is not happening here. No matter how I copy the text back into a TextEdit file set to use the rich text format, the only thing copied to the clipboard from it is the rich text version. Likewise, if the TextEdit file is set to use the plain text format, the only thing copied to the clipboard is plain text.

Affinity Photo