You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The Hicks Syndicate - “Vintage poster”

276ccm

A good friend of mine is building custom motorcycles.. and me for the love of motorcycles, and old signs.. I tried to make something look a little vintage.. 

I know I have some issues I haven’t been figured out yet.. but some feedback would be cool! :-) 

The main font and all the brushes is designed by me. All done in AD for iPad 

Anything constructive? :-) 

64409D04-012A-4145-9EE3-FB82FFAE82AC.jpeg

6 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

Only, should it not be devils ride  'em?

Hehe that may be very true.. English is not my first language, but I’ll check that up.. thanks for pointing that out! :-) 

Just wrote what he sent me.. :-) 

There is some issues with the outline and some small things I’d like to improve.. :-) 

Thank you for the feedback! :-) Appreciate it!

18 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

Only, should it not be devils ride  'em?

Yes, it should: “he rides” but “they ride”. And the apostrophes are upside down (i.e. rotated through 180°); if using a ‘curly’ quote instead of a straight one, it should be a right quote rather than a left quote.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Yes, it should: “he rides” but “they ride”. And the apostrophes are upside down (i.e. rotated through 180°); if using a ‘curly’ quote instead of a straight one, it should be a right quote rather than a left quote.

Thanks a lot, ill change that :-) Appreciate it! :-) 

I think it should also read "Motorcycles" not "Moto Sickles" or is this a kind of slang a play on words

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I think it should also read "Motorcycles" not "Moto Sickles"

Thst was my first thought to, but searched on google and found pictures of motor sickles

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

2 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I think it should also read "Motorcycles" not "Moto Sickles"

Interesting. I assumed that was deliberate (and it seems that @dutchshader agrees with me).

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, dutchshader said:

Thst was my first thought to, but searched on google and found pictures of motor sickles

Mentions Sickles on the Hicks syndicates about page on facebook

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Cool poster, love the colouring.

If they want "moto sickles" then they should get "moto sickles" but 'motorcyles' matches the style of the poster better in my opinion.
The poster looks like it's from a time when a term like "moto sickles" wouldn't have been in general use.
A bit like using the word 'podcast' in conjunction with a poster about vintage radio; it just doesn't feel right to me but that's just my opinion.
Or maybe it doesn't matter and it's all fine; what I know about motorcycles I could write on a business card in fairly large writing.

P.S. It's a great poster.

P.P.S. There's an area near the middle-right - just above "moto sickles" - where the lines have been 'distressed' but pretty much all of the other lines are not. Is that's deliberate? I think the 'distressed' look is better for this kind of thing but it's not my poster. It just seems a little out of place here where it's only one of very few things done that way.

@GarryP thanks a lot for your feedback! :-) Really appreciable! :-) 

For the “moto sickles” I’m agree with you, if this was for someone else.. but my friend uses sickles a lot, for his build. It’s difficult to explain, but when you know him, it’s his style.. 

And this is just something I do, to try to learn the app, and make some brushes, and it’s a great way to test them out :-) 

For the distressed part, I’m also agree, but I didn’t see.. I like the distressed look better for this style.. :-) I’m pretty much new to this, and slowly getting better at making brushes, and using the app :-) 

Still there is a lot of things I don’t know how to do yet.. :-) 

Great feedback, I will keep in mind :-) 

I like it a lot.

Moto Sickles seems strange to be, but if that's his branding, so be it.

Constructive criticisms:

1) I don't like that the "Moto Sickles" text crowds into the "Syndicate" banner. I'd adjust.

2) IMO the "God loves 'em Devils Ride 'em" text could use some kerning, especially reducing the spaces between words somewhat and possibly also spreading the text a little. Not yet balanced to my eye.

3) Maybe go a little brighter on The Hicks Initiative so as to draw ones eye to the brand.

Bill

17 minutes ago, William Cartwright said:

Constructive criticisms:

1) I hadn’t noticed that detail, Bill, but now that you’ve pointed it out I can’t ‘unsee’ it and I agree with you!

2) The V in ‘LOVES’ looks a bit isolated, but the rest of that text seems reasonably OK to me.

3) The web address at the bottom is rather low contrast and could perhaps do with being a bit brighter.

Alfred spacer.png

I like it a lot, it's impressive and shows how talented you are for designing fonts.

But it's not to show off your skills, but to be read and at the end to give a nice feel. For now, I think each line is difficult to read, because there're too much angles. For a better lisibility and less strain while reading, some part should be more rounded.

As an example, you can look at the gothic calligraphy: at first, it was really usefull to write a lot of text on a page, with a lot of similar strokes and gestures (faster to write).
Example of gothic. But it was difficult to distinguish characters, difficult to read. This leads to add point on the "i" and accents and ponctuation, etc. Other versions, more rounded were easier to read (example).

Your poster would benefit more round characters for diversity and more readability.

Another way to improve lisibility would be to add a little bit more space in some "s", "e", "y", "c"… each time a character is "cut".
A little more space too between the 3 parts of your "T", in "The".
Again, lowering a little bit the second "-" of the "E" in "Est."

And putting the "MOTO SICKLES" more to the right?