You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Curve Path Text to ordinary curve

Hi!

Small question:

I have text on path, how to EXTRACT this path (without text) to another layer? I want to have another curve and stroke it but ctrl+c and ctrl-v makes just another "curve path text" and deleting letters not making it just an ordinary curve.

In another words: I know how to make curve to text path but don't know how to change empty path to curve.

t2c.jpg

Hello enzen,

When you want to put text on a curve, duplicate the curve before doing "Convert to Text Path", you will then have a visible curve after typing the text and you can move this line or modify it independently of the text.

If the curve has not been duplicated, you can duplicate the text, underline it and then do "Convert to Curves". You can then delete the letters and keep the line whose color, size you can change, add a contour or rotate it. Changing the shape (curvature) of the line will be more delicate because "Convert to Curves" has been applied to it.

I don't know if that's right for you, and someone might have a better solution.

7 hours ago, reglico said:

I don't know if that's right for you, and someone might have a better solution.

Thanks, that solutions are very usefull but this is kind of detour on the way which should be simple. 

It was a surprise to me that there is no option to convert the path back to the curve.

enzen, thanks for the feedback, I agree with you, it is a heavy solution, hence the importance of duplicating the curve before converting it into a text plot (if you are the author of the drawing).

I agree, there should be a "Release Text" Option.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

A bit off topic, but can anybody confirm the crash mentioned here, regarding deleting either of the 2 last nodes of the path?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

But in the meantime, if you forget to duplicate before the point of no return.... you can try this.

Brilliant !

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

45 minutes ago, cleay said:

what?!

JimmyJack included a short video which shows how one can take a different Curve (containing the same number of nodes) and then getting it to snap node for node onto/over the existing but invisible path with the text on it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi ESPR,

To copy control handle length/direction from another curve's node:

• Drag a node from one curve directly over another curve's node and release. After a short pause, the node's control handles will match that of the 'target' node.

It's a feature of the Node Tool. Check this link for more details about editing curves/shapes.

It took me a while to figure out how to use this technique properly as there seems to be a ‘trick’ to it.
What I think you need to do is drag the node over to the other node until the ‘joined node’ turns yellow and the mouse pointer changes to include two overlapping squares, and then wait a second or so. Just dragging the node until it turns yellow isn’t enough, you also need the mouse pointer to change and then wait.

If this is true then it might be good if the documentation can be a little bit more specific.

• Staff

Hi GarryP,
It does mention it. The change to yellow is a snapping function not related with the copy handles operation. If the snapping is disabled it doesn't change to yellow but still works after a short pause.

• Drag a node from one curve directly over another curve's node and release. After a short pause, the node's control handles will match that of the 'target' node.

• Drag a node from one curve directly over another curve's node and release. After a short pause, the node's control handles will match that of the 'target' node.

This is definitely wrong on Windows, dragging and releasing does nothing - you need to drag it until you see the two overlapping squares and then just wait (do not release button) after 2-3 seconds it will do its stuff then you can release the button.

(Windows 8.1 & Wacom Pen)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

17 hours ago, MEB said:

To copy control handle length/direction from another curve's node:

It's a feature of the Node Tool. Check this link for more details about editing curves/shapes.

Has this been implemented in the iPad version? It doesn’t seem to work for me. :(

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks, Miguel. I hope it gets fixed soon: it’s too nice a feature for iPad users to be missing out on!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

MEB: Sorry, I should have made my point clearer. The wording of the documentation is misleading and misses out an important step.

The documentation, as it stands, says that the user should, for this functionality to be applied: “Drag a node from one curve directly over another curve's node and release.” This, by itself doesn’t apply the functionality. Then it says “After a short pause, the node's control handles will match that of the 'target' node.” The fact that there are two sentences here splits the two parts of the functionality and puts them the wrong way round. E.g. Drag and release, then wait for the pause. Also, it has no mention that the nodes of both curves should be visible (I don’t think it will work otherwise). See my attached video where, with snapping on, it’s easy to get one node “directly over” another node without the functionality being applied, no matter how long you wait

What I think it should say is something like: “When the nodes of more than one curve are visible – for example when more than one curve has been selected – drag a node from one curve directly over another curve's node until the mouse pointer changes to include two overlapping squares but don’t release the mouse button yet. Wait for a short pause until the node's control handles change to match that of the 'target' node and release the mouse button.”