You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Moving objects and nodes in designer

Hi

the problem is - anytime i use move tool to MOVE an object - it gonna get resized flipped or whatever exept doing what move tool supposed to do. Move object. Well, sometimes i got lucky and it does move but damn its a challenge and uberfrustrating. Same with nodes - yes im holding 2 fngrs to move a node using a node tool but if control handles are too close it still gona move them instead of node i want to move. I really hope that im missing something and there is a solution for this. Its just killing me, help

32 minutes ago, Truvalerich said:

Hi

the problem is - anytime i use move tool to MOVE an object - it gonna get resized flipped or whatever exept doing what move tool supposed to do. Move object. Well, sometimes i got lucky and it does move but damn its a challenge and uberfrustrating. Same with nodes - yes im holding 2 fngrs to move a node using a node tool but if control handles are too close it still gona move them instead of node i want to move. I really hope that im missing something and there is a solution for this. Its just killing me, help

Yes, try moving a bit of Artistic Text. Every time it resizes it, stretches it, rotates it or enters Text Mode. It never moves it :(

I found the best solutions (for me) was to either zoom in, tap and pause a moment just inside the selection box outline but, away from a handle or it resizes it too, then the little blighter will move. Failing that, select the object, open the Transform Studio and you can swipe left or right or up and down on the X or Y settings to move the object (very precisely). You can use the same trick for a node (or more that one node) with the Node Tool.

Basically, Zoom or Transform.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

4 hours ago, Truvalerich said:

Yeah thats what i have to do, but its killing a workflow. Had hope that control points sensitivity can be minimised to their visual size. Thats what messing everything up(

A lot of people seem to have the problem. I think what I would like to see is a Force Move option.

An on screen modifier or a Context Menu option (or both :D). The option would temporarily force the Move Tool to move only, not transform.

That would be a huge help when laying out as it would save all this zooming in or using the Transform Panel. I think that would be quite easy to implement?

I have just put in a feature request.

I have found another workaround (sort of). I made a largish rectangle on the page. Selected that, then selected the small object too (one finger tap). I then use the rectangle as a handle to move the small fiddly object(s). A single tap deselects both.

Easy enough to leave the rectangle on the screen or drag it mostly off until you need it. Obviously, it doesn't have to be a rectangle. It saves a lot of resizing, undoing, stretching, undoing and zooming in, zooming out, grr!! >:(

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

22 hours ago, Truvalerich said:

Had hope that control points sensitivity can be minimised to their visual size.

What about if instead of that, there was a threshold zoom level that locked out selecting the control handles (so the Move Tool would only move & not resize) if the zoom level was too low to accurately choose between any of the handles & the object itself?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

What about if instead of that, there was a threshold zoom level that locked out selecting the control handles (so the Move Tool would only move & not resize) if the zoom level was too low to accurately choose between any of the handles & the object itself?

In the end a modifier button with simple logic - move nodes / objects , move control points. They actually have a great thing that doesnt work tho - two fingers down to move selected nodes only.  Why it doesnt work as it should ? Probably a bug. If they do same for moving objects and make it work the way it should - ill be totally happy

This is a real problem, and especially bad because it also occurs while using the Apple Pencil. There's no reason the Pencil should be subject to the same touch target metrics as a finger. I've used many other apps with the Pencil, and they don't have this problem to nearly such a degree. I can easily touch a small control handle with the Pencil when I want to adjust the control handle. Other apps seem to be able to distinguish the difference...

3 minutes ago, karim said:

I've used many other apps with the Pencil, and they don't have this problem to nearly such a degree. I can easily touch a small control handle with the Pencil when I want to adjust the control handle. Other apps seem to be able to distinguish the difference...

At least for me, as long as I am careful about holding the Apple Pencil near the vertical, placing the tip the near the center of the object, & pausing very briefly before moving it, I rarely resize the object when I want to move it instead. I think this might be due in part to how long it takes my non-pro iPad to read the sensor data sent to it by the Pencil & the app to decide tilt & pressure are irrelevant for this operation.

Hopefully, the app's contribution to this delay can be improved.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 hours ago, karim said:

This is a real problem, and especially bad because it also occurs while using the Apple Pencil. There's no reason the Pencil should be subject to the same touch target metrics as a finger. I've used many other apps with the Pencil, and they don't have this problem to nearly such a degree. I can easily touch a small control handle with the Pencil when I want to adjust the control handle. Other apps seem to be able to distinguish the difference...

I guess Ur right. They just thread any touch as a finger touch. Pencil has 1000 times more precision but its abilities are  not involved in action in AD. Then we just need to request special apple pencil settings in the app