You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Glow" around image using gaussian blur

I have a photo of a boy in a white shirt with trees in the background.  I want to blur the trees.

I select the boy using the Selection Brush.  Invert the selection.  Add a gaussian filter.

The back ground blur works fine except that there is now a white "glow" around the boy.  I expected the boy to be excluded from any blurring,

What am I doing wrong?  Why are the edges of the boy not completely excluded from any blurring.

Thanks.

If I’ve correctly understood what you’re describing, you’re making a selection and then blurring the boundary between the selected and unselected regions, but you can’t blur one without blurring the other at the same time.

Make sure you’re working on a ‘Pixel’ layer, not an ‘Image’ layer, and duplicate the selection to put a copy of the boy on a new layer. Now deselect to remove the ‘marching ants’, go back to the original layer and add a Gaussian blur to the entire layer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

To make for a more convincing blur effect, isolate the foreground by moving it to a separate layer. Then, on the original layer, inpaint the foreground part so it gets replaced by textures and/or objects from the background. It doesn't need to look realistic because you're going to blur it anyway. Finally, apply your gaussian blur filter only to the background layer. That way, you'll avoid blending pixel information from the foreground beyond its original contour.

I have this problem all the time in Photoshop and Affinity photo. The problem is simply the Gaussian blur causes the background to bleed out from behind the layer ontop of it (and it'll do this even if you have it on the same layer and you're just using a selection). This isn't a bug; it's just how blurring works. For illustation, I have placed down a blue circle and created a selection around the circle.

image.thumb.png.272660c86ee3027268a29930f6bb77f7.png

Even though the selection is around the circle, it still must take the circle into account for the blur to function properly.

image.thumb.png.3cb7d5edb6244de86c151681f0995454.png

It wont apply the blur directly to areas not selected, but it will still take those areas into account.

So the trick is to copy the boy onto another layer, and then use Affinity Photo's "Inpainting" brush to remove the boy from the background layer. Then conduct the blur on the background layer. The inpainting does not need to be perfect; it's simply providing a different nearest neighbor for the Gaussian blur. 

I made a video showing how to do this:

P.S. use lens blur instead of Gaussian blur... it looks better :D!

The Gaussian Blur filter is "borrowing" (or perhaps "spreading") white pixels from inside the selection.

If you want to restrict the blurring to a single layer, as opposed to @HuniSenpai's response above , you could try a Median Blur:

1319242861_Screenshot2018-08-26at19_53_49.png.8674c4c463dd6bc97bfdebc7bf555b45.png

->

1260828965_Screenshot2018-08-26at19_54_04.png.ef8582721175cb50cb824051021a508c.png

(I've hidden the marching ants to make the edge easier to see). But at 100px radius there is a bit of spreading.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

2 hours ago, h_d said:

Never assume... ;)

Never assume what? That none of the ‘gentlemen’ here are actually ladies, or that all of the men deserve to be called gentlemen? Or perhaps both of the above?? :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)