You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123.exe not opening in Windows 10

Hi I just purchased Affinity Designer and downloaded the installer file for 1.6.5. However whenI click to save it to downloads it's name automatically "affinity-designer-1.6.5.123.exe" not sure if any of that matters for my issue.

Now my issue is that once the file is downloaded I can't get it to open to install. I double click and nothing happeneds. No windows pop up asking if I want to let this program make changes. I tired right clicking it and selecting run as administrator and a Windows notification pops up asking if I want to allow this program to make changes and I select yes and then nothing happens. I able to get other installers to open from other applications and this is the first I've had this issue. 

I've tired reconfiguring paths to no avail. 

Thank you for your time, 

- Ian Bray

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi @carl123 Thank you for your reply. I should mention this is my first time ever trying to install this program. I'm not updating and I don't have a 2nd screen. I bought this software last night and after downloading it the exe file just doesn't work. Nothing shows up in task manager. 

1 minute ago, koe88 said:

I should mention this is my first time ever trying to install this program. I'm not updating and I don't have a 2nd screen. I bought this software last night and after downloading it the exe file just doesn't work. Nothing shows up in task manager. 

You might try following the instructions in this post from @Leigh to generate a log file of the installation process, then look at the file to see what failed.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

From SetupUI log

Opening registry key: SOFTWARE\Serif\Affinity\Designer\1
    Failed
Install path not found, using default: C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer

These are the two errors that stand out to me but not 100% on if they are the actual issues or could be.

As you just purchased the program for the first time, neither of those should be an error.

I'm afraid I've exhausted my ideas; you may need to wait for someone from Serif to provide further assistance. Their offices are closed today, I think for a national bank holiday in the UK. Some of their staff may be working from home, as we often see some of them on the weekend, but you might need to wait until tomorrow.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Their offices are closed today, I think for a national bank holiday in the UK.

Only in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. The summer bank holiday in Scotland is at the beginning of August instead of the end of August.

https://www.gov.uk/bank-holidays#scotland

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

As Walt said, that could just be because it's being installed for the first time.

If you go to the below link and download/install Affinity Designer 1.6.4 (listed under "Previous Versions", not the big blue button), does this version install correctly or do you experience the same issue with that installer too?

https://affinity.store/en-gb/update/windows/designer/1/