You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My First Two Works In Affinity Designer

specworkfan

I was just playing around with all the features, and having a great time learning the workflow.

In the mushroom image I made a custom brush of 5 different star shapes. I played with the scatter, and made the size of the stars based on pressure. I also randomized the hue for the first passes in pin light, after laying down some stars with multiply to give some stars a "black hole" effect. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to do the vector brush this way, so this was the one part of the image that is raster. Still amazing that I can mix them so flawlessly without using another program.

In the San Diego image I was trying to create a vibe from the 60s movie Endless Summer. This features the Crystal Pier in Mission Beach. It is 30 degrees here now some days, very warm. I made use of some noise, and really enjoyed how easy it was to make a perfect path on top of the sun shape. The text when curved is really hard to deal with, but the kerning tools in Affinity Designer really make it easy to center everything exactly. I could check the centering on the fly, and rotate the text with arrows. These are skills which take some time to learn and internalize in Photoshop, but even a beginner could do this in the first hour with Affinity!

4P9Yp6D.png

900eTVP.png

Those are psychedelically awesome!  :-) I love the purple background for the mushrooms and that gorgeous texture, and in the San Diego Poster the surf boards sticking up like rabbit ears are pretty cool too, especially their shadow.  They're nicely balanced by the sand runner. 

My critique for the mushrooms would be that while you have varied them in size to create a sense of distance between them, they are all the same hue in the color spectrum and in fact it looks to me like the farthest mushroom away from the viewers is even more vibrant than the others when it comes to its shading.  Normally of course in a more "natural" setting the mushroom would be less distinct in both color and shading since it is further away.  Granted, this is a dream scape so anything goes, but it's something to keep in mind. 

Yeah, Affinity is fun, isn't it?  :-D  Welcome to the forum, these are great! 

Thanks for comments everyone! 

You are correct, warmer colors feel closer here on Earth from the atmosphere giving the sky a cold blueish hue making these colors feel distant. Perhaps the red one should be in the foreground, and the pattern reversed. I will try this.

In space redshifting represents objects moving away. Everything is moving away from everything mostly. There are few blueshifting galaxies (coming towards us) for example, Andromeda is a notable exception. Perhaps this perspective is more correct.  :-)

In reality, I chose the colors for UV embossed printing, it will be an iPhone case. I believe strongly that red sells more, especially if it is a magazine cover, so I am guessing you are going to be the winner in this transcendental discussion. Red should probably be the biggest mushroom.

Those are psychedelically awesome!  :-) I love the purple background for the mushrooms and that gorgeous texture, and in the San Diego Poster the surf boards sticking up like rabbit ears are pretty cool too, especially their shadow.  They're nicely balanced by the sand runner. 

My critique for the mushrooms would be that while you have varied them in size to create a sense of distance between them, they are all the same hue in the color spectrum and in fact it looks to me like the farthest mushroom away from the viewers is even more vibrant than the others when it comes to its shading.  Normally of course in a more "natural" setting the mushroom would be less distinct in both color and shading since it is further away.  Granted, this is a dream scape so anything goes, but it's something to keep in mind. 

Yeah, Affinity is fun, isn't it?  :-D  Welcome to the forum, these are great! 

I would play with shadows more if this were for print, but you can see difference. Surprisingly, I prefer the first version, but I will sleep on it.  :-)  Maybe it is because of way my eye scans an iPhone case, or maybe it is because of the color in the center.

O6UyLul.png